Tribes Man Reissues

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Tribes Man Reissues

Postby Dubba » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm

Nice to see the new batch of reissues at our local etailers! I’ve just purchased all 5 from Supertone. Thanks to everyone involved in making these available. Finally when is the board going to be fully up and running again?!!!! 8)
Dubba

Re: Tribes Man Reissues

Postby Carassius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

The Ras Midas reissue is apparantly not legit (according to Ras Midas and his management). The 12" was to be reissued by Roots Vibration records next month and still will be reissued. It's now also listed on discogs as unofficial as only one of the batch of reissues.
Carassius

Postby DJ Conscious » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 am

My understanding is Good Old Days was produced by Harry J and not Coxsone. The early copies of the 12" stated 'arranged & produced by Ras Midas'. Subsequent copies were credited to Coxsone.
I was told many years ago that Coxsone was at Harry J's and convinced him to hand over the tapes. In return, Coxsone would press, distribute and sell in the UK, then send money to both Harry J and Ras Midas in JA. I'm pretty sure Ras Midas still hasn't been paid and Harry J RIP. As mentioned, this is what I was told. Wicked tune still!
DJ Conscious

Postby Dubba » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Carassius wrote:The Ras Midas reissue is apparantly not legit (according to Ras Midas and his management). The 12" was to be reissued by Roots Vibration records next month and still will be reissued. It's now also listed on discogs as unofficial as only one of the batch of reissues.

I see that the Ras Midas has been pulled from DV, Supertone and all the other usual suspects. Still glad I got mine. Seems like another murky example of production and ownership rights of Jamaican music. I’d imagine about 90% of my collection is probably not legit through artists not getting their royalties or players of instruments not being properly credited and recompensed for their works. This seems to apply all across the board from Studio One right through to Island. Young, hugely talented artists but completely naive in terms of business savvy and acumen being exploited by older more mature individuals. Quite similar to how modern day gangs exploit their “youngers”. Sorry, I’ve completrly gone off on a tangent!
Dubba

Postby skunkride » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:28 am

The original pressing of Good Old Days now been blocked for sale on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Ras-Midas-Natty ... se/3637313

Pretty bizarre move considering it's a 40 years old pressing which is now almost impossible to find.
Someone got pissed i assume :roll:
skunkride

Postby DJ Conscious » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm

skunkride wrote:The original pressing of Good Old Days now been blocked for sale on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Ras-Midas-Natty ... se/3637313

Pretty bizarre move considering it's a 40 years old pressing which is now almost impossible to find.
Someone got pissed i assume :roll:

I think it was probably Ras Midas's business manager triggered by the recent repress. I'm in touch with her and she is still on a mission to get Coxsone to pay Ras Midas who in turn with Harry J was never paid despite Coxsone agreeing to do so. Shady reggae hustling.
DJ Conscious

Postby capullo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm

i noticed this too but thought some discogs member might have mixed up the repress with the original... i also noticed that many tunes have recently been blocked on discogs for legal reasons. even some 80's or 90's mixtape pressings of funk/club/house inclusive (example https://www.discogs.com/Various-Special ... se/1268612) - not to mention all the modern white label jungle or dubstep remixes of original (legally protected) music. as much as i am pro legal rights etc., i personally think this is the wrong approach. some records are "pirate" and that has always been part (and still is) part of the whole dj/music culture. many of those blocked records never made anybody rich nor anybody poor. just my opinion though. these records are sold on discogs without any financial benefit for the original creator anyway. not talking about the new stuff, just those records that have been around for years and are sold on discogs by collectors and record dealers.
capullo

Return to General discussion