Sugar @ Studio One - Soul Jazz

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Sugar @ Studio One - Soul Jazz

Postby tim p » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:18 pm

Here is the sleeve:

tim p

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:20 pm

I hope this album plays better than the Studio One Disco Mix CD, Tim :(
If it don't turn you on, you oughtta leave it alone!!

See me at: http://www.trojanrecords.co.uk/forum/index.php
Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby Downbeat Special » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:41 pm

Here is the track list:

1. Vanity
2. Please Be True
3. Hang On Natty
4. Never Give Up
5. Jahovia
6. Try Love
7. Roof Over My Head
8. Is It True
9. Love Gonna Pack Up
10. Give Me Jah Jah
11. Jah Jah Children
12. Party Time
13. Change Your Ways
14. Come On Home
15. Jah Almighty
Downbeat Special

Postby KING RATHID » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:42 pm

**** soul jazz............................BLAZE UP DI FIRE PON BABYLON!
Worries Outanational - Dublin
KING RATHID

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:10 pm

A whopping 15 tracks again.

Stop ripping people off SJ, should be at least 20 tunes for an album of short 2 and a half to 3 and a half minute tunes.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby James » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:16 pm

Those are all good tracks, but I am surprised they omitted Live Loving and Peace Treaty Style, not to mention Oh Mr DC (for anyone who doesn't have the Showcase on Heartbeat)... why omit those tracks and include Party Time, for example, which is a rather lame version when compared to the Heptones original?
James

Postby rez » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:38 pm

Good points James...seems strange alright....

Gordon....15 tracks is quite enough to be spread out over 2 lp's....more than that and the vinyl quality will start get mashup...

That said can't see why they dont put more on the cd's....they are putting alot out recently though can't keep up missed quite a few!
rez

Postby tim p » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:26 pm

Do you know if that tracklist is definite Ray? After all they do see to have a habit of changing these between announcment and release.
tim p

Postby Donovan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:32 am

I was really looking forward to this because "Live Loving" has never been issued on CD. But only 5 LL tracks reduces my anticipation. Yeah, and no "OH Mr DC"??????
Donovan

Postby Fargo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:18 pm

Does seem a bit tight. Are the tracks on this that overlap with Showcase the exact same recordings?
Fargo

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:04 pm

>Gordon....15 tracks is quite enough to be spread out over 2 lp's....more
>than that and the vinyl quality will start get mashup...

15 tracks times 3 minutes equals 45 minutes. thats about 11 minutes per side over 4 sides (2 records).

thats pretty skimpy. the sound shouldnt start to suffer until the sides exceed 20 minutes each...you could put another 2 songs per side easy before anything suffered at all at 33 rpm.

on the other hand, they dont pay us to compile their records, we buy them.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby DrSuperlove » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:05 pm

Oh Mr. DC may be missing in action because a discomix of it was on Studio One Classics and they seem to go some way not to have duplicates in their catalogue, that's the closest to an explanation i can think of
DrSuperlove

Postby mghifi » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:07 pm

This one reminds me of the Jackie Mittoo SJ comp. Nice intro to the man for the newcomer, but useless if you owned Jackie's Studio One lp's. This Sugar comp only has 3 non lp tracks. Otherwise if you have More, Showcase and Live Loving, why bother?
mghifi

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:13 am

DrSuperlove wrote:Oh Mr. DC may be missing in action because a discomix of it was on Studio One Classics and they seem to go some way not to have duplicates in their catalogue, that's the closest to an explanation i can think of

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. It's a practice that even the sainted 'Blood & Fire' indulge in from time to time.

By the way Gordon, SoulJazz aren't ripping anyone off, the covers clearly state what tracks are included. It's up to you if you wish to purchase or not. What you see is what you get. I fail to see how anyone is being ripped off.

I reckon SoulJazz are doing a fairly good job with the Studio One stuff, though personally I don't touch it with a barge pole. It really makes me laugh when people here spend so much time and effort debating the merits of CD v vinyl sound qualities when after all is said and done all they are going to do is rush out and buy Coxone's stuff which may have sounded great in the studio, but 99% of his recordings sounds dreadful. It's like you're hearing it coming through your neighbours wall. They almost had to give his stuff away in Jamaica. To attempt to sell it at full price really would have been a rip-off.

Inchpinchers
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

Postby JV » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:25 pm

I don't know what is your equipment you're listening your Studio One with but most of Studio 1 stuff sounds here very good. Excluding some bad examples with **** up pressings of late - but on the whole I don't understand what seems to be the problem - at least compared to other Jamaican recordings. That hearing through the neighbours wall indicates you have some troubles with your speaker setup perhaps? Are the cables polarity checked to be correct for example? Any examples of such records, please?
JV

Next

Return to General discussion