John Lydon's taste in reggae/dub in the late 70's

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

John Lydon's taste in reggae/dub in the late 70's

Postby FromCreation » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:05 am

Here is a list of the artists John Lydon was into in the Pistols /Pil days.

http://www.viciousriff.com/Bands%20Pistols1.html
FromCreation

Postby quadruped » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:51 am

Strange that the list doesn't include Dr Alimantado, though just about everyone else gets a mention.

I've heard it said that the popularity of Alimantado amongst UK punks in the late 70s was largely due to Lydon playing "Born For a Purpose" during a guest slot on Capital Radio.
quadruped

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:02 am

No Culture either and who was Ranking Caretaker ?

MSE
Anonymous

Postby barrow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:08 am

"Majority Rule" Caretaker on the Stonebridge label.
barrow

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:26 am

That you, SLB ?

Pretty impressive list from Mr L.

MSE
Anonymous

Postby Liam » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 am

Who is George Coleman? Didn't he play Arthur in Minder?
Liam

Postby barrow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:04 pm

I know of 2 artists of the name George Coleman - one did an album [or two?] for Arhoolie, and was a 'street' musician, playing bongos etc. I seem to remember the name 'Bongo George', though I wouldnt swear to it.
The other George Coleman is the excellent Memphis-born tenor sax player who played briefly with Miles D in the mid-sixties, [after JC but before WS]. Since then this latter Coleman has continued playing, without ever receiving the public/critical acclaim accorded other [arguably] lesser talents. My guess would be that Lydon means the former rather than the latter.
barrow

Bongo George is really Bongo Joe

Postby barrow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:14 pm

...my mistake above- the stage name of the 'other' George Coleman' is "Bongo JOE". A Cd is available on Arhoolie, originally recorded 1969 by Mr Strachwitz. The Rolling Stone reviews book says this about it :
Rolling Stone (9/20/69, p.36) - "...an album of vitality and mystery....Bongo Joe reveals his philosophy in deeply echoing chant, singing over the boomings of his improvised drumsticks....[his] monologues and dialogues depict a satirical, humorous view of modern man in plastic America..."

The jazz tenor saxist is featured on a good 'live' album with Wynton Kelly's trio dating from early 1970s, I have this one and it is good. He also has more recent releases on Timeless, Evidence and Telarc from the 1970s-1990s.
barrow

Postby Jackie Pablo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:28 pm

George Coleman was also a member of the Miles Davis' quintet along with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. They recorded four albums together.

Seven Steps to Heaven

My Funny Valentine

Four

Miles Davis in Europe

(all on Columbia Legacy)

I see J Lydon thought Junior Delgado was Jah Levi.
Jackie Pablo

Postby FromCreation » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:16 pm

///I see J Lydon thought Junior Delgado was Jah Levi.///

IMHO, I don't think Lydon was confusing I Jah Man Levi with Delgado, since he also name checks I Jah Man Levi separately in the 2nd column as a worthy artist.

Who knows, perhaps Jnr Delgado was also nicknamed/AKA'd as Jah Levi?

That's the kind of detail people who were around those guys in the mid to late 70's ( EG Steve Barrow and Reel ) will be able to answer.

In fact, since Steve Barrow used to co own Daddy Kool's in the mid to late 70's ( are the dates right? ) -- he probably sold some of these records to Rotten, since Rotten used to frequent Daddy Kool's I believe.
FromCreation

Postby Jackie Pablo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:28 pm

FromCreation wrote:IMHO, I don't think Lydon was confusing I Jah Man Levi with Delgado, since he also name checks I Jah Man Levi separately in the 2nd column as a worthy artist.

Who knows, perhaps Jnr Delgado was also nicknamed/AKA'd as Jah Levi?

Just to clarify - Jah Levi and I Jah Man Levi are two different artists.

Hugh Mundell (not Junior Delgado) was aka Jah Levi.
Jackie Pablo

Postby ephteeay » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Jah Levi was Hugh Mundell's deejay name so he would have been confusing it from there.. (and most probably from the 'Away with your Fussing & Fighting' 12")
ephteeay

Postby Sipple Out Deh » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:39 pm

quadruped wrote:Strange that the list doesn't include Dr Alimantado, though just about everyone else gets a mention.

I've heard it said that the popularity of Alimantado amongst UK punks in the late 70s was largely due to Lydon playing "Born For a Purpose" during a guest slot on Capital Radio.

I've read in a couple of places there are rumours that Lydon actually sang backing vocals on an Alimantado tune, supposedly during his trip to JA in '78 i think.

I can't remember what track it was meant to be though. Seems pretty unlikely, can't say i've ever noticed the trademark Rotten snarl on any Dr. Alimantado track! Anyone else heard anything about this though?
Sipple Out Deh

Postby FromCreation » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Jackie Pablo and FTA, good points, and I am sure you are right there re Lydon's confusion. As FTA says, it was probably a confusion made after listening to the Augustus Pablo's Rocker's 12" mentioned.
FromCreation

Postby Mark Williams » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:06 pm

and what about this "Cygnus" entry? Any clues on that, anyone?
Mark Williams

Next

Return to General discussion