dubstep meets uk dub ...

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

dubstep meets uk dub ...

Postby funkus the boogieman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:26 pm

... a little mix for those interested. i've put it on yousendit to celebrate finally getting a broadband connection at home. let me know if you like it.

http://download.yousendit.com/93FA667D2DFC7FD0
funkus the boogieman

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:01 pm

I've actually been quite curious recently about the whole dubstep thing cos i know less than nothing about it. Going by the title of your thread i assume there were some "uk dubs" mixed in with the dubstep? What were they? Cos I couldn't recognise any apart from what sounded like an iration steppas (or Kitachi ?) remix of rootsman's "Koyanisquatzi" (sp?) & possibly one that sounded like Disciples. Would you say this is a good selection of dubstep? Based on what i heard in your mix I'd describe it as industrial hip hop beats with a mixture of techno sounds & acid basslines. Is that a fair description of dubstep or is there more to it which I've missed? I'm not taking the p*ss, honestly, just a novice trying to get some info about the music. Thanks!
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Lord Dubious » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Reggaemusicstore wrote:I'd describe it as industrial hip hop beats with a mixture of techno sounds & acid basslines. Is that a fair description of dubstep or is there more to it which I've missed?

accurate for some, but not all dubstep is alike! there are some tunes that sound like two-step garage, and some that sound UK steppers tunes. so many producers around the world are jumping on the dubstep train that it can be a hard sound to pin down.

i know a lot of people on the board find this genre boring, but i think it's the most exciting thing going on in the electronic field these days.

check the forum for more info, tunes and mixes:

dubstepforum.com
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
Lord Dubious

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks Lord D, I'd be interested to hear some of the ones you say sound like UK steppers, but based on what I've heard so far I really dislike it. Just my opinion.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby funkus the boogieman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:38 pm

hi rms,

the uk dub tunes i put on are:

iration steppas: hard time pressure inna babylon
ditto: reminiscence
disciples: dubplate [can't remember name at the moment]
rootsman: koyaanisqatsi
ditto: [tune from a mid 90s lp, don't have name to hand]
rootsman meets disciples: roadblock
uzinadub: from the tribe

as for whether it's a good selection of dubstep ... not really for me to say! it's a bunch of 12" i bought in the last few months. as has been said on here before most tunes that are big on that scene are not released ... dubplate only. but of the releases i have it's a selection i like personally.
Last edited by funkus the boogieman on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkus the boogieman

Postby Lord Dubious » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:39 pm

of course it's all subjective:

http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15471
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
Lord Dubious

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info Funkus & for giving me a chance to check it out but I'm not motivated to investigate any further !
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Brett Roootical » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 pm

just wanted to correct a little mistake. due to the name of this chat ...talking bout "uk dub" selections etc...Unzinadub (10inch) comes from Bordeaux, France...so nothing based in those "uk dub style"....A truth some not know, french got his typical dub sound..
But i reckon uzina got some dub inspiration coming from uk style i mention....some are calling it steppa rythme...
Nothing serious as yu can see, but i just wanted to spread our french sound & scene through those dub mix... Outernational Reggae Music !

Respects
Brett
Brett Roootical

Postby funkus the boogieman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:34 am

sure ... i'm well aware of that. but i call it uk dub cos the style originated there, as i'm sure the french massive will agree ... i meant it generically not geographically.

should add i always try to follow productions coming out of france, they tend to be well done and there's a good scene there as well. always a good response over there ... big up!
funkus the boogieman

Postby Anonymous » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks for that funkus! Really liking some of the tracks. Any chance of a tracklist ?
Cheers

Fleximus
Anonymous

Postby funkus the boogieman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:38 am

glad you like it, haven't written a list out yet but i'll do one in a bit.
funkus the boogieman

Postby aksumite » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:35 pm

dont know about dubstep but I think this guy makes some righteous videos in reggae - dubstep vein, check this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDoGc9-vCE
aksumite

Postby droid » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Nice little mix. tracklisting would be appreciated. The shift of Rhythm that comes from the UK Steppers/Dub tunes really breaks up the dubstep (essentially one drop) patterns and adds some much needed variety to the beat!
Blog>>>>>>>>>> http://www.weareie.com
Label>>>>>>>>>> http://www.thefear.ie
droid

Return to General discussion