Halloween/Scary Themed Tunes

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Halloween/Scary Themed Tunes

Postby Reggaexx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:44 pm

I know I'm 2 months early with this but I'm looking to compile a list of scary themed Jamaican songs - going all the way from mento until dancehall - anything dealing with duppies, vampires, cemeteries, haunted houses, spiderwebs, etc. I've noticed a reoccuring theme particularly during the roots era when vampires were used quite often as a metaphor for babylon... I guess the same could be said for the devil but those could also be included as well.

We all know the blatantly obvious...

Lone Ranger - "Barnabas Collins" and pretty much a lot of the other tracks on his "Barnabas In Collins Wood" LP
Yellowman - "Death Of Barnabas"
Peter Tosh - "Dracula"
The Wailers - "Mr. Brown"
Sir Lord Comic - "Lon Chaney"
Clint Eastwood & General Saint - "Talk About Run"

Any other additions?
Reggaexx

Postby Ringo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:49 pm

I remember Mike Trner putting a huge list from Roots Knotty Roots on here, you might be able to find it with the search engine.

Rigor Mortis - Revolutionaries (Ballistic)
Ringo

Postby papa tenko » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:59 pm

Also by the Revolutionaries, from the Errol Scorcher Rasta fire album, "Post Mortem".
And the whole of "Scientist rids the world from the evil curse of the vampires" (Night of the Living Dead, Your Teeth in My Neck, Blood on His Lips, etc.)
And Pablo Gad's "Bloodsuckers"
no one but you and I say the bells of Prince Far I
papa tenko

Postby Reggaexx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm

A few more...

"Vampire" by Bobby Aitken
"The Vampire" by The Upsetters
"Frankenstein" by Lone Ranger
"U.F.O." by Lone Ranger
"Annie Palmer" by Lone Ranger
"Two Bad Duppy" by Nigger Kojak & Liza

Ringo - you have any clue about a good solid keyword I can use to search for that list? I tried "Roots Knotty Roots" and got over 5 pages of results...
Reggaexx

Postby supersonics » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:18 pm

One particular record that springs to mind is ‘Dark Shadows’ by Charles Hanna & Graduates, it’s an instrumental but has a haunting sound. I'm not sure if 'Dark Shadows' is available on any compilation but trust me it's a frightening track and will scare the sh*t out of anyone including myself!
supersonics

Postby richmrpa » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:37 pm

Trinity - Vampire

Baaaad tune.
richmrpa

Postby supersonics » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:46 pm

richmrpa wrote:Trinity - Vampire

Baaaad tune.

I agree, bad tune indeed.
supersonics

Postby Jackie Pablo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 pm

Jackie Pablo

Postby Natty Rajah » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:27 pm

Devon Irons & Dr Alimantado - Ketch Vampire
Max Romeo - Chase The Devil/Lee Perry - Disco Devil
Black Uhuru - Android Rebellion (and plenty other tunes/dubs with dark themes/titles)
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man (= "bogeyman")
Lord Jellicoe - Zombie Jamboree (mento)
Toots & The Maytals - Monkey Man (and Urban Dub - Big Foot which samples it)
Keith Hudson - Satan Side
Don Drummond Jr - Evil Spirit (version of Alton Ellis - Big Bad Boy)
Prince Buster - Seven Wonders Of The World has a "horror-movie-ish" feel (and was the inspiration for Specials "Ghost Town")

if you're going to play any non-reggae stuff, then Fela Kuti's "Zombie" is a must...
Natty Rajah

Postby tingjunkie » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Pumpkin Belly!
tingjunkie

Postby southlondonstephen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:39 am

Loch Ness Monster by King Horror (Grape)

I really want to hear Dark Shadows!

I think there is a Trojan collection of scary tunes

internet cafes are the bomb!! :wink:
Listen to my A Scorcha from Stephen T Reggae show on Wednesdays 6-8pm on www.therock926.com and for rare soul Fridays 9am-12pm

www.mixcloud.com/stephent/
southlondonstephen

Postby Ringo » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:40 pm

Sorry, don't remember, perhaps it was a combination of searches or Mike has a very good memory after so many hours of collecting and compiling this info.
Ringo

Postby minidub » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:35 pm

slightly clever...super cheesey...

for those of you familiar with the old tune from i'm guessing the early 70's called "monster mash", this is a spoof on the song. whenever our show falls near halloween, we make sure and play this one at 4:20...it's a bit ridiculous, sure, but makes an easy 4:20 reggae halloween selection!

monster hash

m.
ps--sorry, just noticed the part about compiling jamaican themed songs...this is not so very jamaican :oops:
minidub

Postby Reggaexx » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:19 pm

Minidub - thanks for sharing Monster Hash... that's hilarious!

Hey I got a question... I actually located Loch Ness Monster on Itunes but was surprised by how bad it sounds. Not the music/vocals but the nasty sounding buzz/overmodulated sounding hum on the tracks... does it really sound that bad on CD or did Itunes get a bad rip? Some of the King Horror tracks have the potential to be awesome Halloween/scary tracks but I can't hear beyond the bad sound. Does anyone have the CD?

Also anyone know where I can find "Dark Shadows?" I did a search for it and came up with some database that had it listed with an MP3 for download and after fooling around with it for 30 minutes realized that you had to be a member or something - with no instructions or guidance on how to become a member so therefore deemed inaccesible.
Reggaexx

Postby Reggaexx » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 pm

I answered my own question about Loch Ness Monster. I sampled the audio clips from a couple other sites and they sounded fine so the copy Itunes is sharing must be screwed up.
Reggaexx

Next

Return to General discussion