Mortimo Planno passed away

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Mortimo Planno passed away

Postby ice » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:56 am

just received this:

Greetings All,

For those of you who haven't already heard this is to inform you of the passing of Brother Mortimo "Kumi" Planno, on Sunday March 5th at 22:40 hours at the University Hospital of the West Indies.

Brother Kumi as he was affectionately called, was born in 1929 on the 6th of September in Cuba. He arrived in Jamaica in the early 1930s with his mother (Jamaican), May Parks, father Miguel Planno (a Cuban Tobacconist) and 3 older siblings.

Planno grew up in the West Kingston district and came to national prominence in the early 1950s through his articulate and defiant involvement with the Rastafari Movement, then in its first two decades, as one of if earliest dreadlocked youth leaders. He was a founding member of the Rastafari Movement Association, which held the Ethiopian World Federation Chater 37, and was instrumental in many initiatives including the First Universal Grounation of Rastafari in Back-O-Wall in March 1958; the University ISER - Report of the Rastafari Movement in Kingston Jamaica 1960; the Fact Finding Mission to Africa, 1961; the visit of Emperor Haile Selassie I to Jamaica in 1966; the development and Management of Bob Marley and the Wailers; the repatriation of several families and individuals to Shashamanie Ethiopia throughout the 1960s; the arrival of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Jamaica in 1970; the Peace Concert 1978 among other initiatives.

Planno was well known for his intellectual acumen, letters to the press and his famous autobiographical text "The Earth Most Strangest Man: the Rastafarian". He has toured Africa on three separate occasions visiting a total of 15 countries there and has been invited to give lecture/tours in the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada.

In 1998, the Faculty of Social Sciences made Bro. Kumi its inaugural Folk Philosopher through a one year fellowship where he pursued his autobiographical writings through an attachment to the department of Government. Subsequently Planno became a sinecure attached to the Institute of Caribbean Studies which facilitated his continued work up until the end. Since 1984 Planno's health had been compromised by a number of complications (glandular, cardiac, gastric and circulation issues). Increasingly from 2001 after suffering a heart attack Planno has been in and out of hospital, and in July of 2005 his right leg was amputated.

Though Mortimo Planno may be most remembered for his role on the occasion of the Emperor Haile Selassie I's visit to Jamaica when he restored order to a state where protocol has disappeared, he is perhaps most of all the archetype of a Rastafari ecumenical leader and operated in this manner for some forty odd years. His command was one with words, and when he opened his mouth all were forced to recognise his power.

For some fifty years Mortimo Planno has been one of the key Rastafari figures on the battle field. He leaves behind four children and a younger Brother Barry. Today we ask that his memory be honoured in your thoughts and prayers.
Last edited by ice on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ice

Postby jumpingmaster » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:43 am

jumpingmaster

RasTafarian Elders/ Rasta Live

Postby imperialyout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:33 am

Yes this man was truly a forefront runner for the Rastafarian Community,
The words of his mouth have inspired many - thru the Inspiration and Vision this Ras Elder trod Iration as a very Humble Meek Peacefull son of the Most HIGH - Another star in the heavens.. JAH LIVETH.. BLESS .
1NESS
+ LOVE to the Rastafarian elders Globally
imperialyout

Postby King R » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:35 am

Deep Blessing for his family
King R

Postby uhuru disciple » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:49 pm

Let Jah Bless his Soul and guide him towards the other great black heroes who dedicated their lives to freedom & understanding .(MLK,M garvey) .

Stand firm rastas !

true respect to the family too, of course.
uhuru disciple

Postby Manzie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:52 pm

Brother Planno stand for EQUAL RIGHTS AND JUSTICE and grow his dreadlocks in a time of great persecution and downpression in Jamaica.I remember those days as a little youth.Maximum respect to Brother Planno.
Manzie

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:38 pm

RIP
Chocolate Soldier

Postby dre~sangQ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:05 am

"Mor...
timo......
Planno.......
is.....................
the..............................
Chaaaaaaaa...aAAAAaaaaa...pel" :!:

{in true Wailers' harmonies!} ~ "AaaahhH...aAAhHH..AAaaahhhhh" :!:

~Blessed be the "Original Voice Of Thunder!"
dre~sangQ

Postby Freddy C » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 am

CITATION ON MORTIMO PLANNO:
http://www.nettilinja.fi/~hsaarist/planno.html

Mortimo Planno on the bible and christianity:

"I an I learn that King James vision of the Bible was given to I an I ancestors as valuable treassures of missionaries which was only a camoflaugue. The real purpose of the Bible was to christianize and civilize I an I ancestor. This system work for upward of 400 year's which seem to be I an I Sentence in this Pit of Hell. I an I ancestor worship with the Bible I an I also worship from the Bible but do not worship the Bible. The Parson stand upon his pulpit and orate out lies like flies buzzing around the ear's of his Congregation about a unknown God who have no meaning other than a Name until He is known. All these and many more will be surpprising to the world to know How simple understanding can come to man. The faith of I an I is unbroken regardless of propaganda, So I an I will have to present and Represent I an I father Business, the Truth. The Bible was given finally, to our ancestors not before it was fully interpreted by Parson. But faith show I an I that words used can expound truth. WORD is Power and Power is God. The first Father in any Language I an I want to give to the world what is owed to them through the Mercy of I an I God. The Rastafarian all claim that they are Ethiopian one writer put it, and was so sure of his sentiment that they all want to go back to Ethiopia. By Ethiopia I an I mean one continent, by Ethiopia I an I mean the Country Ethiopia with its capital Addis Ababa. By Ethiopia I an I mean All for One, One for all operating in this manner there can be no failure. The only true interpretation for Africa for Africans. I an I being in captive Has to admit, to names of those wo did pass through great tribulation: Such as Daniel, John, John the Baptist, Peter, Paul, David, Shadrack, Meshek and Abendego, Dreamer Interpreter and Dreadlock Rasta: All these names are Biblical, but there true identity has reproduces its manifestation. So I an I invite Human to a travel through Prophesies."

"The Church of England and there off shoots Missionary Churches Take great stand against The Earth Most strangest Man. Religion and politic is the order of the day, all are advised to be organize in these Organisation to inherit benifits of the State. There is Noticable illeteratecy in these Mission Houses Church but they Serve there own purpose: Christianity become a challenge to this falsehood, this myth of God invisable, living beyond the cloud. The Earth most Strangest man Challenge the myth with a natural philosophy of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Men of the clergy always preach a dislike to the ideas of the Rastafarian movement. It cost them nothing to attack the movement on the pulpit. Viewing it from the true standpoint this was a One for One affair. I an I sword the parson as liken unto propheisies. beware of the parson, false tongue preaching as he go along about the Kingdom of Heaven. I an I come in direct contact with this Parson and the result, he is the one who look for the Exit. Even when the Rev. C. V. Henry came in 1958 He suffer the same treatment until he begun to accept the King of Kings & Lord of Lords. In Jamaica the idea of God is a Man is well known and understood. This god is a spirit only appear as 'hussling' in the Churches. Since 1961, the churches benches become empty almost more people stay at home, you can hear the Sunday genial on the Radio every Sunday trying to bring Souls out to the Church. This is undoubtedly a Commecial undertaking So it also is expose to Compitition. The Evangelist also join the Race for Competition. Alway ending Send your Contributions to a given address. Many of these Sermon being directed to us. Abusing us for keeping away the people from the Churches. The Parson have a right to gather the people who they scattered throughout the world."
Freddy C

Postby iriedaily » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:25 pm

http://www.rism.org/planno/
Massice RASpect to the rasta elder called Mortimo Planno.
Jah guided him to Zion fi sure.
Irie bless
Royal Eastern Connection Thursdays 22 - 24 GMT +1
http://www.webradio.ombilikal.org
iriedaily

Re: Mortimo Planno passed away

Postby todd » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:58 pm

ice wrote: the development and Management of Bob Marley and the Wailers;

is that true? i always thought he was more of a spiritual advisor.

RIP.
todd

Return to General discussion