Dancer "Bogle" killed today in JA

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dancer "Bogle" killed today in JA

Postby Rootsman » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:42 pm

Drive-by shooting, 5 people shot, the only one killed is the famous dancer Bogle. 3 others in serious condition, 1 stable. Bogle's house is burning down as I write this......
Rootsman

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:44 pm

Heavy!
poor guy!
Chocolate Soldier

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Wow! That's sad news! What a way to start the new year of dancehall. I'm not too familiar with Bogle, though I do know he's a well known and VERY popular dancer in the dancehall scene. I think he also figured in the Sesame Street video from Elephant Man. Sad thing.
BMC

Postby zonard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:31 pm

If I remember correctly, his name was Paul Bogle and the "Bogle" style was dedicated to him (by Buju Banton :?: I'm not sure...)

RIP
zonard

Postby rez » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:29 pm

"Bogle's" real name was Gerald Levy. You are correct the "bogle" style is dedicated/about him.

Paul Bogle is a different person altogether though. He was a Jamaican born during the first half of the 19th century who, along with George William Gordon, led the Morant Bay rebellion of 1865 to demand better conditions and just treatment for the poor. He was hung for his part in the uprising and is a now an official Jamaican national hero.

RIP to both men. Bless.
rez

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:37 pm

so first he was shot and now his house is burning down? that would indicate it wasnt a random thing, wouldnt it? wonder who has it in for him?

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby zonard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:42 pm

Thanks rez for the correction
Of course I confuse with Paul Bogle...
zonard

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:57 pm

That's apparantely a mistake, jb. It wasn't his house that burned down, but John Hype's, another dancer and rival of Bogle. At least, that's what more than one person claims on DHR.
BMC

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:05 pm

Police focus on Arnett Gardens after Bogle’s death

The police are keeping a close watch on sections of Arnett Gardens and adjoining communities following the fatal shooting of well known dance hall personality Gerald Levy better known as "Bogle" and the fire bombing of a house belonging to fellow dancer Jonathon "John Hype" Prendegast.

According to the police there are fears that the two related incidents could lead to a major flare-up of violence.

Anger, fear and tension were all evident on the faces of residents of Rosseau and nearby Dillon Roads as they gathered Thursday morning to discuss the two related incidents. Most persons refused to speak with our news team but the handful who did, warned that the death of “Bogle”, the reputed leader of the "Black Roses Crew", would be avenged.

It all began about two Thursday morning, at the weekly "Weddy Weddy" session in Half-Way-Tree when a dispute reportedly developed involving "Bogle" and his companions and a group of men.

It is reported that "Bogle" and four other persons left the dance and drove onto Constant Spring Road where they stopped at a gas station. There they were approached by two men on a bike who pulled firearms and opened fire hitting all five persons in the car. "Bogle" received multiple gunshot wounds and died on the spot.

The others including a woman were taken to hospital where three were admitted with serious injuries while the 19-year-old woman was treated and released. In hospital are a 16-year-old, a 21-year-old and a 23-year-old.

Hours later fire was seen coming from the house at 12 Dillon Avenue belonging to "John Hype". He has been in a long running feud with "Bogle" and is being accused of being involved in his death.

A neighbour reported that the fire was started by a group of men who threw a device into the building. It took fire fighters some three hours to put out the blaze but not before two houses were destroyed.

At least six adults and three children lived in the buildings. No one was hurt in the blaze. Fire fighters have not yet completed their estimate of the cost of the damage.

And the killing of the popular entertainer has sparked reactions from several members of the local music industry.

Among those who have commented is Director of Shocking Vibes Limited, Clyde Mckenzie, who says the country has lost one of its most gifted entertainers.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/news/?id=14325

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:14 pm

Yeah, just read it too on DHR and SNWMF. As said there, I'm afraid we haven't seen the end of this yet. :cry:
BMC

Postby 6655321 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:19 pm

In "Pon the river pon the bank" Elephant Man refers to a John Bogle; he also repeatedly says "John have a new dance". I think that's the man that was shot today/

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:27 pm

He's also in this video (as I mentionned above) of Ele's Sesame Street:

http://www.muzikmedia.com/videoarchive.aspx#mv136
BMC

Postby BMC » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:53 am

BMC

Postby ephteeay » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:56 am

would you wait a few weeks before giving the name? or would you be worried somebody else would do it before you if you didnt do it right away?

ja is such a f*** up country its so sad....so much talent going down the drain.
ephteeay

Postby Fish » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:58 am

66655321 - I think it's John Hype, not Bogle, who came up with the "Pon The River" dance.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Next

Return to General discussion