dave godin's deep soul treasures

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

dave godin's deep soul treasures

Postby prajna » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:23 am

i've been listening to several excellent compilations tonight over a few quiet beers; but damn if deep soul treasures vol2 doesn't blow them all away. from otis, to bessie banks' "go now", to george perkins' "cryin' in the streets"! what a heavy truimvate!! and while i type this, carla thomas' "stop! look what you're doing starts". damn! :D
prajna

Postby James » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:29 am

The Deep Soul series are probably my all time favourite comps. Music that can't be beat! Have you heard Volume 4? Despite one or two slightly more obvious tracks (Ie 'Tracks of My Tears') it also has some incredible songs - two particular highlights would be the compelling bluesy break beats of 'You Got Me Diggin' You' by Roosevelt Matthews and Doris Duke's highly countrified 'I Don't Care Anymore' which must one of the most heart rending songs ever recorded in the entire history of music. Essential stuff!
James

Postby Rootsman » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:22 am

Deep Soul Treasures Vol 4 easily matches the heights of the previous 3, even though I prefer Vol 1 to the others personally. Fantastic compilations, lovingly compiled and full of gems. Track of My Tears fits perfectly into the selection, and off the top of my head my faves are that incredible Gladys Knight tune plus"I Need You" and "I've Been Wrong Too Long" (can't recall artists). Great stuff!
Rootsman

Postby prajna » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:27 am

i've read a few reviews of vol 4, and am really looking forward to hearing it - the doris duke track in particular!!
prajna

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:44 am

"Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley. I hate so much that tune so with that tune on my deserted island I won't miss music any more.
Anonymous

Postby prajna » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:48 am

wrong thread zoks :P
prajna

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:59 am

Seen.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:43 pm

Agreed, and I've got tons more stuff like that.

I'll do a rare deep soul/rare reggae trade with a few of you in the near future.

I've got 2 trades to complete for now then I'm having a break from trading for a few weeks, so it will be end of Feb/beginning of March time.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby datura » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:43 pm

Dori Grayson - Try Love

absolute perfection..

any recommendations of any other comps in the same vein?
datura

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:54 pm

Lost Deep Soul Treasures Vols 1-5(I've also heard vol 6 is out but not seen it) on Japanese only imports of somewhat dubious legality I'm told.

(I've got 1 to 5).

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Fre van der Mugge » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:41 am

In similar style like the lost deep soul treasures series are 3 volumes deep soul discoveries (Titanic), 2 volumes it's a deep soul thing (Black Cats), deepest soul & deep soul inferno (Goldmine) or check out John Ridley's deep soul page: www.melingo.com/thesoulnet/ridley.htm for some amazing stuff (you must check out Levi John - heart of hearts, Jamaican deep soul from WIRL!!)
Fre van der Mugge

Postby Fargo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:43 pm

Spot on about Doris Duke; she's badly in need of the Honest Jon's treatment. Anybody heard the country soul compilation out out on Klang is it? Got some great stuff on it redolent of Godin's productions.
Fargo

Postby prajna » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:52 pm

havn't heard the album but the university radio's americana-roots show played several tracks from it on sunday. sounded very fine indeed.

on a related note, thanks to a mention on here by gordon, i checked out arthur alexander for the first time. more wonderful stuff. "you'd better move on" won't leave the stereo or my mind!!
prajna

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:42 pm

Glad to be of assistance Prajna, have you heard Arthur's "In The Middle Of It All"? Possibly the saddest song of all time.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby prajna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:13 am

yes gordon, i picked up "the ulitimate..." on razor & tie. seems to be a good overview of aa's stuff. the melancholy vibe really hits the spot.

after many many years of listening to the more well-known soul artists, its been a thrill discovering "deep soul', thanks in no small part to the many appreciative comments i've read on the b&f boards.
prajna

Next

Return to General discussion