Artist Of 2004?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Artist Of 2004?

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:32 pm

As we're heading for the New Year, it's that time for the year end polls again.

Who's been the best artist of 2004?

Best newcomer for me has been Fantan Mojah, artist of the year is a tough one to call as I haven't bought that much new stuff but personally I'm going for Jahmel as I enjoyed his album very much.

Respect

Gordon

PS: How do you get the poll working?
Anonymous

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:41 pm

My vote goes to Turbulence. I haven't checked his latest album, but he released a lot of big tunes this year.
BMC

Postby Lahei » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:20 pm

Capleton - he's done very well on the cultural side aswell as having hit after hit in the dancehall... Reign If Fire is probably the only JA album I wasn't a bit dissapointed with this year...

Best newcomer, I-Wayne. Even though he's only got a handfull of singles out he's really made an impact & schwieez, that voice gives you goosebumps.
Lahei

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:33 pm

Yes Lahei, Capleton had some big tunes this year too. I haven't heard Reign Of Fire yet, but he did good for sure.

As for I Wayne, I did like his songs on the Hard Times and Father Jungle Rock riddims, but wasn't too impressed by the rest of what I heard of him. Imo the hype is bigger than the tunes. Still a good artist though. I'm curious what the near future brings for him (he just signed a contract with VP).
BMC

Postby Lahei » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:48 pm

Indeed, not all of I-Wayne's tunes are on that level but the big ones are huge! (hype..hype...hype.. :wink: ) Looking forward into hearing some VP material too & thumbs crossed that he doesn't fall off & turn into another VC.
Lahei

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:21 am

I second that Lahei (still enjoying that I Wayne CD, btw!), it would be a shame to see him drop off the map like VC.

As for artist of the year, I don't follow the bashment side of things at all, but on the roots'n'culture tip it would seem I Wayne, Natty King, or of late even Damian Marley with Welcome to Jamrock have gone big this year and have a claim to that title. Whether its based on hype or song/flavour of the moment remains to be seen...
Ital Dokta

Return to General discussion