Most underrated UK artiste as influence on nu roots sounds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby dub rebel » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:07 pm

dread and fred
dub rebel

Postby peter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:48 pm

Dambala
peter

Re: Most underrated UK artiste as influence on nu roots soun

Postby Well Charge » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:09 am

jumpingmaster wrote:whats that riddim on that sort of jungle percussion sound used in aswad's rainfall sunshine? it is also on that don carlos album prison oval clash...wicked! :twisted:

Wicked drums indeed. It's also featured on the recommendable Charlie Chaplin tune "Don't Run"
Well Charge

Postby lankou » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am

Not too sure that i understand the initial question. Nu roots to me, is what other people name"one-drop", that light-weight roots reggae sound which developed in JA in the early 2000's, with Corleon and his likes.
If that is how you conceive it, i don't see too much of a connection, apart from the fact that Aswad also recorded a good number of MOR reggae tunes in the second half of their career.
imho, a lot of their tunes, as elaborate as they are, are much tougher than JA nu roots:massive dubs, tight powerful horn arrangements (not just the odd Dean Frazer blowing his soprano) and rhythm section...and, fortunately, not much of that formulaic folky/spanishy plink plonk guitar in the UK band's sound.
Yet, a tiny number of their riddims have been recut in the "nu roots" era, whatver nu roots really means, as roots & culture never disappeared from the dancehall culture, though there were highs and lows.
No UK act really influenced nu roots music,it took more after US r&b and other mainstream US sounds.
lankou

Postby Inyaki » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm

lankou wrote:Not too sure that i understand the initial question. Nu roots to me, is what other people name"one-drop", that light-weight roots reggae sound which developed in JA in the early 2000's, with Corleon and his likes.

The original poster is referring to the UK productions of the last 25 years......used to be referred as 'New Roots' for a while (late 80s/early 90s)....years before 'Nu Roots' became a journalists / labels term (and cliché) to refer to the JA type of 'One Drop' (another cliché) productions.
The spelling and terms keep changing all the time so the same thing has different names depending on context.
Inyaki

Postby CassavaOuternational » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 pm

John Lydon
CassavaOuternational

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Mad Professor
Ranking Glasses

Postby Well Charge » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:01 pm

For me, Mad Professor is indeed one of the most criminally underrated artists amongst reggae cognoscenti. Maybe because he manages to take reggae to a different audience, the snob factor...
Well Charge

Postby underated » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:04 am

Nice to see Mad Professor get some mentions.
His whole Ariwa sound was pretty original. Really well mixed & produced tracks. This guy has covered a lot of ground over the years.
That's the big boys league right there, top of the top ! not for little boys & their toys.

Don't know if he is really underrated though ?
Perhaps some people will catch up to what he is all about in years to come.

& nothing exits without Aswad ,
Zeb & Gad could have been the riddim kings :)

This topic is from 2005 :shock:
underated

Previous

Return to General discussion