Most underrated UK artiste as influence on nu roots sounds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Most underrated UK artiste as influence on nu roots sounds?

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:25 am

Aswad..
late 70's / early 80's period.
IMO major blueprint for the 'Shaka' steppers kind of sound.
Note theres even an Aswad meets Shaka LP.

Now playing on the hifi 'Sons of Criminals'
Aswad Hulet lp
JA Tuff Gong press
Matrix #X51000000ABCDEFG
Chocolate Soldier

Postby plunkstar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:38 pm

True,
I often wondered about this. Aswad has played with ALL the greats. The band is TIGHT and the arrangments are clever and rootsy. ( Mind you, I am talking ASWAD upto 1985).
Their first few albums are DREAD- horn sections blowing in full force etc.
Anyway, just wanna put in my 2 cents worth of biggin'up ASWAD.

Choco, I have this killer Aswad live at Glastonbury 1982 show on mp3 format. It is stompin'and groovin'. ever thought about working with Brinsley?

dread out!
plunkstar

Postby skunkride » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:43 pm

Pablo Gad, although i'm not sure he is underrated (neither do Aswad which are quite popular)
skunkride

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Merger featuring Mike Dorane and Barry Ford - heavy roots at its best.
DOOR PEEPER

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:10 pm

Choccy I do rate the Aswad of old tho' I'm not sure if I'd cite them as an influence on the nu roots sound. Shaka did promote them a lot back in the day but he was already making his own productions by the time of what I'd consider their best works. There's also a bit of controversy regarding the Shaka meets Aswad album - it was largely a collection of riddims given by Aswad to Shaka for dubplate play on the sound & they were annoyed when he released it, apparently without their agreement....
Reggaemusicstore

Postby plunkstar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:31 pm

George Oban
plunkstar

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:51 pm

The lead singer of The Piglets, whoever he was. Johnny Reggae, Here Comes Johnny Reggae is a seminal roots tune, IMHO.

:wink:

MSE
Anonymous

Postby Reuben » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:03 pm

I would rate Aswad as a strong influence on the UK Warrior style and the UK scene in general.
I heard at the time of the Aswad meets Shaka album they had recorded the tracks as session musicians and then were called Aswad on the album. Not sure of the truth of it so you could me right RMS and they were dubplates.
Reuben

Postby dougie conscious » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:01 pm

the warrior style steppers style came from jamaica,both shaka and aswad were influenced by it,aswad to me made the best dub lp ever in terms of good quality production dont think its ever been equaled,ps the warrior charge rydim was aparently done after aswad heard the hard times{pablo gad rydim}it was mostly 1 drop before that,
dougie conscious

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:04 am

I agree that New Chapter of Dub albums is killa & is one of those anamolous one of a kind dub albums, also the Black Uhuru Dub Factor eg: with a kind of mix style and sounds that were never really heard before or since...

4 sure everybody gleans their influences from all kinds of sources & JA has always been the concocting the killer beats which flow forth into the World and multiply..

Still, I always found the Aswad basslines to have what I thought of as a kind of 'inverted' style , the way the lines are phrased and the notes as opposed to how JA players were doing it,

To me that kind of Aswad vibe seemed to flow into the whole UK sound of Mad Prof /Ariwa and Shaka productions which could be seen as major forerunners of the modern UK sound (?),

Aswad -> Shaka & Mad Prof..
-> Disciples, Blakamix, Jah Warrior, Vibronics,
Conscious Sounds, Dubcreator, Gussie P, Mark
Lamarr etc
-> John Peel's 45 box
Chocolate Soldier

Postby JT » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:41 am

Thinking about The Disciples' use of the Romans rhythm I would have to add Black Slate to the list.

I wish I knew a lot more about Sword Of Jah Mouth but their album and cuts like Invasion sure seem to cross the UK generational divide. I've always been curious about them, I think they are UK but their album is on MetroSound and I assume Peter Metro was primarily JA based.

Maybe its wishful thinking on an artist that I wish got more credit but I think there is something in the lyrical content (if not delivery) of some newer artists that reflects Delroy Washington
JT

Postby jumpingmaster » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:17 am

whats that riddim on that sort of jungle percussion sound used in aswad's rainfall sunshine? it is also on that don carlos album prison oval clash...wicked! :twisted:
jumpingmaster

Postby dubtronix » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:26 am

Interesting story about Aswad's reaction to Shaka's release of that LP.

I always found that LP more of an instrumental than a real dub LP with all that piano, except maybe the track called Behold Him, which didn't really belong on that LP (it's that good!)

Must say I was very pleased to discover a couple of harder versions of those tunes on another Shaka LP earlier this year. The tunes called Aswad Special, Rockers Delight and Shaka Special, mixed much heavier without so much piano.
dubtronix

Postby ephteeay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:14 am

Must say I was very pleased to discover a couple of harder versions of those tunes on another Shaka LP earlier this year. The tunes called Aswad Special, Rockers Delight and Shaka Special, mixed much heavier without so much piano.

which one is this?? (the piano is the main reason i like this release so much..but with or without piano the riddims are great! NEED MORE VERSIONS)
ephteeay

Postby dubtronix » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:04 am

edit - They're on Jah Dub Creator: Commandments of Dub part 5
Last edited by dubtronix on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubtronix

Next

Return to General discussion