Gaz Mayall Top Ska Tunes

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Gaz Mayall Top Ska Tunes

Postby DrSuperlove » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:34 am

definitely not just another trojan compilation, well deserving all the hype!

but

was there a miscredited track on it? anyone knows?
DrSuperlove

Postby Fargo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:24 pm

Dunno but I've got 3 other questions about this comp:

a) Who is Bongo Man Byfield?

b) Why is there no decent compilation of Justin Hinds' material (his stuff here is great)?

c) Have you ever read more self-serving, self-regarding sleevenotes on any reggae reissue? Gaz helpfully tells us that "in my early teens, tiring of the contemporary music scene, I went in search of root alternatives". I love the idea that at the age of 13 Gaz's jaded palette could only be revived by an odyssey to Brentford Rd. It was a great club at Gossips, this is a great comp but Gaz we really don't need to know this much about you.
Fargo

Postby Ska Nick » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:57 pm

Have not got the comp myself but i know the track "You Send Me" does no way feature Jackie Opel but the vocal group The Melody Enchanters.........That could be your miscredited track!!

Delroy "Bongoman" Byfield recorded about half a dozen tracks through the 60s.

One love.
Ska Nick

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:30 pm

Nick,

Thanks for pointing out the Melody Enchanters credit. I have been told this track was produced by Raymond Harper and not Duke Reid. Is that right?

I traced three of The Melody Enchanters Studio 1 songs, but never actually got to hear them. Any ideas on who was in this group?
Jackie Pablo

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I think what you are referring to, Dr Superlove, is the misattribution to Justin Hinds of the track Teardrops. I remember this being discussed both on the old board as well as on the Trojan forum and the conclusion seemed to be that it was sung by a group called The Personalities who may subsequently have evolved into the Silvertones.

Top Ska Tunes, as I've not tired of saying, was my top release of last year and I guess we should forgive the self-serving nature of the sleevenotes (just this once) on account of the excellence of the selection. I guarantee you will get many hours of pleasure from this record.
Grumpy

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:17 pm

cheers! the sleeve notes don't bother me at all but i don't understand what Try Me by Justin Hinds is doing there among mostly rare tunes

best compilation of 2004 if you ask me
DrSuperlove

Postby charlie.reggae » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:40 pm

1) Delroy 'Bongoman' Byfield seems to be best remembered for the B-side to The Skatalites' 'Guns of Navarone' Island 7", called 'Marcus Garvey' (aka 'Garvey dead' or 'Where is Garvey ?'), mis-credited to The Skatalites (although it is them backing him).

He also crops up on the hard to get hold of Count Bismark productions LP, 'Original Ska Explosion Vol. 1' (Carib Gems, CGLP 12, 1989) with 'Yes I know' (mis-credited on the sleeve as Theo Beckford).

2) Justin Hinds & The Dominoes LPs / comps.:

~ Peace & love - Trojan Records CD, CDTRL 393, 1998
~ Ska uprising - Trojan Records CD, CDTRL 314, 1993
~ Early recordings - Original Duke Reid recordings - Lagoon (Esoldun) LP, LG1-1017, 1991 (also avail. on CD).
~ Travel with love - Nighthawk LP, NH 309, 1984 (new recordings)
~ Corner stone - Rhino (Creole Records) CD, RN 7112, 2000

All are Duke Reid productions except Mr. Schoenfeld's underated 'Travel with love' LP of contempory recordings from '84.

Others will ratify, but there ws a Soniia Pottinger LP from the mid-1970s called 'Jezebel' on Island I think also.

3) Gaz Mayall - What can I say - self-centred bull (allegedly) ?

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:46 am

Others will ratify, but there ws a Soniia Pottinger LP from the mid-1970s called 'Jezebel' on Island I think also.
There were two Island LPs from the mid 1970's.
Jezebel and Justin Time (which has dreadful sound quality for some reason).
DOOR PEEPER

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:02 pm

Jezebel is a fantastic album and features Jack Ruby productions.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:30 pm

I couldn't agree more Gordon. Jezebel is a wonderful album which never left my record deck way back in 1976.
DOOR PEEPER

Postby Jackie Pablo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:42 pm

Is Gaz Mayall the son of John Mayall, the longtime UK Bluesman?

I think Gaz Mayall was the name of the man interviewed on a television documentary about his father, John, but am not certain if it is the same man as compiler of the Ska set.
Jackie Pablo

Postby DG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:54 pm

Yes.
DG

Return to General discussion