A question about iPods

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

A question about iPods

Postby canikickit » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi folks,

My brother got an iPod and he is using my computer to put the songs onto it.
When he connects it up, it automatically uploads all the files from the music folder, so if he connects it up on my desktop he'll get a bunch of that crappy reggae music onto the iPod.

The problem is, I don't really want all his music eating up my hardisc space, but he tells me that if he deletes the songs from my hard drive after he has put them onto the iPod, the next time he connects to the computer and the iPod updates, the songs which are no longer on my computer will be removed from his iPod also. Is this accurate? IF so, is there any way of getting around it? I have a different type of mp3 player myself and there is the possibility of turning on and off automatic updating or whatever. Is there a similar option with the iPod?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

By the way, if the iPod does need to have the songs on the computer to avoid its songs being deleted, it really is a patheticly crap piece of machinery and I spit on it, and its creators.
"I am the complete pioneer of everything"

Ken Khouri
canikickit

Postby glenn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:12 pm

are you using iTunes to transfer your music ? if so, this will be set to 'automatic update' by default. go into iTunes 'preferences' and switch it to 'manual' update. you can then tranfser only the songs you want.

as for it eating up all your hard drive space, if you remove the songs from your computer, when you connect it will delete the songs from the iPod, UNLESS it is set to manual update.

hope that makes sense....

regards
glenn
glenn

Return to General discussion