studio one disco mix "short" tracks

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby ian » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:02 pm

Tim, I haven't been myself for a couple of years, but someone I know went before xmas and said its still packed to the rafters in there...I'm sticking with TU for my reggae good times!!

Eph, go and check 'em out, although they're more uptempo reggae than minor chord shoe gazing! which reminds me, many thanks for the mp3 which arrived today, I'm working my way through it but its gonna take a few days, I'll speak to you soon.....

Cheers
Ian
ian

Postby JV » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:06 pm

My copy of George Dudley 12" plays considerably slower than the one included on this compilation. Is it another take or have they just applied +4 or +5 pitch adjustment?
JV

Postby Downbeat Special » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:40 pm

Jackie Pablo wrote:From the 16 tracks listed the only ones that appeared on 12" or 10" were
tracks

6 (maybe lifted from LP but not 12" ?)
14?

1 (12" discomix)
6 (lifted from LP - JACKIE MITTOO SHOWCASE - not released on 12" or 10")
7 (12" discomix)
14 (lifted from LP - SOUNDS OF JAMAICA TOP TEN)
15 (12" discomix)
16 (Music Lab 10")

My definition of 'discomix' is...
(a) It comes pressed on 12" vinyl
(b) It comprises a 3 part mix - vocal/dub/vocal + dub reprise

By my calculation, that makes only 3 tracks out of the 16 actually released as discomixes(!)

Rob
Downbeat Special
http://www.downbeat-special.co.uk
Downbeat Special

Postby JV » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:49 pm

George Dudley tune isn't actually a 3-piece "Studio 1 discomix". It's just vocal & dub mixed unbelievably seamlessly together?

Btw, does Alton Elis' Can I Change My Mind count as a proper discomix? Because it comprises of 4 parts,: vocal, 2 different stages of dubs + vocal & dub mix :twisted:

LOL
JV

Postby Downbeat Special » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm

JV wrote:George Dudley tune isn't actually a 3-piece "Studio 1 discomix". It's just vocal & dub mixed unbelievably seamlessly together?

Btw, does Alton Elis' Can I Change My Mind count as a proper discomix? Because it comprises of 4 parts,: vocal, 2 different stages of dubs + vocal & dub mix :twisted:

LOL

Hi Juha,

Yes, I agree. There are several so-called discomixes that are no more than vocal followed by dub pressed up on 12" and sold in a 'disco' sleeve.

Not the real thing, IMHO...

Rob
Downbeat Special

Postby tim p » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:16 pm

Tim, I haven't been myself for a couple of years, but someone I know went before xmas and said its still packed to the rafters in there...I'm sticking with TU for my reggae good times!!

Cheers Ian. Funny you should mention that actually as there are some changes on the Tighten Up front. It's stopping at the Salmon & Compass (though we'll be doing something slightly different there on the same dates hopefully) and will be moving, probably to a venue slightly further East from around April. Anyway I'll bore people with the details as soon as they're all confirmed.
tim p

Postby ian » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:55 pm

Thanks for the info Tim,

I'll miss TU while it's away but 'slightly further east' sounds good to me! :D

Good luck with it all.
ian

Previous

Return to General discussion