superstar yellowman has arrived ... with toyan!!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

superstar yellowman has arrived ... with toyan!!

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:45 pm

just found this LP in mint condition on JGM (joe gibbs music) for 7 euros... i personally dont really like yellowman (the riddims he chooses?? the producer chooses?? i dont know how this works..) i loved the cover anyway (cartoon superhero style) and thought ill get it even though it only had 2 tracks credited to toyan..... i had never heard of it before !! the yellowman is typical yellowman.. but the bside (4 extended tunes with nice mixes!!!!)was surprisingly ALL TOYAN!! and wicked too !!! ! !! ! ! 1st time in a long time i buy something without knowing anything about it and having such good tunes (enough good tunes to say the LP is strong.. and extended too) like getting two good 12"s real cheap!!..

1. love night - riddim is "love me girl"
2. modeling time - similar to "drum song" (vocal snippets "iiiiii am a man in love" (a voice i dont recognize i dont think) PLEASEEEE anyone know what this is????!!!)
3. come fi mash it - something i think i recognize but cant think.. wicked bass line)
4. talk of the town - not the type of riddim i like.. (the kind that makes you dance though..)

im happy.
ephteeay

Postby tim p » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:53 pm

2. Is Echo Minott - Man In Love this came out on an Oak Sounds 12" it is Drum Song isn't it? (I'll have to listen) anyway it's the same rhythm as Five Man Army by Trinity, Wayne Wade etc also on Oak Sounds.

Tim
tim p

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:03 pm

nice one thans a hell of a lot..
its based on drum song.... slightly different bass line etc....
so i guess its the "drum song riddim"
ill have to look out for that 12" what a nice voice.. shame he only says 6 words twice on this tune.. its not enough for me :)
ephteeay

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:13 pm

From memory the 12" was a Dillinger production. Just wondering how it ended up on a Joe Gibbs LP. Maybe a different take, or licensed out?
Jackie Pablo

Postby JV » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:28 pm

Yes, Dillinger is correct for that rhythm on a UK release. All of them have been recorded at Joe Gibbs studio though. Maybe there has been some kind of contract between Gibbo and "guest producers": reduced price for studio time and giving Gibbo an option for releases like this in return. Or Dillinger just bought a stock rhythm from Joe Gibbs' shelf, thus "producing"it. Don't really know anything but I suspect something like that. I don't think Gibbo ever "produced" anything in a sense of arranging tunes nor writing them.
A couple of those Yellowman tunes were actually released as Ruddy Thomas being the producer.
JV

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:41 pm

"Talk Of The Town" is on the same riddim as Ashanti Waugh's "Funny Love" on the b-side of Captain Sinbad's "Sister Maracle" that was mentioned the other day.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby tim p » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:20 pm

Here is
Echo Minott - Man In Love
Dillinger,Trinity,Wayne Wade, Al Campbell, Junior Tamlin - Five Man Army
Dillinger - Send Another Moses
Five Man Dub

http://www.dancecrasher.co.uk/temp/maninlove.mp3
tim p

Postby BMC » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:08 am

The first track on this album, I Am Getting Married, is in fact not by Yellowman, but by Ringo.
BMC

Postby ephteeay » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:40 am

yeah bmc.. thats the only thing they got right in the credits!!

thanks t i m p .. im gonna listen to NOW.
ephteeay

Postby ephteeay » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:13 am

thanks for that one tim p..

and something i remembered: i heard 5 man army first time in the summer during a king shiloh session @ a festival in northern greece and had asked the selector what it was after the show! and had forgotten til i saw your post..i think he also played something else over the (exact) same riddim but wont make any promises.

man in love is wicked... barbra streisand reggae stylee.
ephteeay

Postby skunkride » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:19 pm

Check "time is a moment in space" by Wayne Smith, more nice "man in love" tune :)
skunkride

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:18 pm

Thats a wicked tune Skunkride.
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby jb welda » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:17 pm

epth: i got both those 12" on oak sound, if youre interested drop me an email. wont be cheap, but they are both near mint condition.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Return to General discussion