Plea to graphic designers

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Plea to graphic designers

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:20 pm

Bought my first CD of the new year today: "Aquarius Rock". Haven't listened to it yet but judging by the reviews on here, I'm looking forward to it. However, zero out of ten for the accompanying booklet. Normally when I buy a new disc, I like to read the sleevenotes on the train home. Well, I fear it is a symptom of age but my eyes aren't what they used to be and I have difficulty deciphering type much below 12 point. You will understand therefore that it serves me right if I insist on buying CDs. However, I can usually manage to decipher the sleeve notes but those of "Aquarius Rock" defeated my attempts. And the reason was not the font size but the colour. I remember hours of frustration trying to read that criminally illegible orange type in the 2nd edition of the Rough Guide to Reggae. Well, on Aquarius Rock I am unable to read the names of the artists (some sort of weak blue against a livid pink) and the sleeve notes (pink on blue and, even more hopelessly, blue on blue). One of the fundamental rules of information is that it should be readable. This ain't. So my humble request to graphic designers working on record sleeve design: if you are going to use a coloured background for the text, please make the type either bold white or bold black. Colour on colour doesn't work (and weak colours on white don't work either). Please cut it out, lads. It may look pretty but it's illegible.
Grumpy

Postby benja » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:26 pm

contrast people, contrast

agreed!

here's some of my designs...

http://www.imanselection.com/design.html
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby JV » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:37 pm

What a nice album, nice tunes indeed. One of the better albums of last years...although I'm not crazy about the its sound quality. But sometimes it's not that anally important.
But I also noted can't read the text and it drove me nuts because I thought I'm becoming blind or something!!! Thank god someone noticed the same thing as well. Those art designers must be a bunch of sadists methinks.
JV

note to graphic artists everywhere

Postby jb welda » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:38 pm

there are millions like you. you can be replaced, and rather easily. keep that in mind next time you come up with some lame "concept" that no one can read. you might think about taking up interior design or hairdressing or something manly like that.

thanks in advance

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Too hip to be square

Postby Ekki » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:10 pm

Couldn't agree more, Grumpy!
I hate those arty farty designs :!:

But it's a great album!
Ekki

Postby Semi-Decent » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:18 am

Benja, Some nice work there -- but I'm still rubbing my eyes,,,,,did I really see a cut'n'paste of the pope :x kissing the feet of Selassie :lol:

Just checking...
Semi-Decent

Postby benja » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 pm

yep, that was a little something I put together for a book cover and later used on the cover of Rastafari Speaks.
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby MickH » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:49 pm

I was given the Live aid dvd as a present.......

Presents to myself included

12"

Remix of The Message on East Of the River nile rhythm

7"
Children of the Ghetto/ Albert Malawi
Funeral / Prince Alla
MickH
MickH

Return to General discussion