AURALUX sound quality

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

AURALUX sound quality

Postby informer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:24 am

well, as i have written the latest release imo wasn't the best soundwise.

i also have a problem with "African anthem". i got this as a promo
without printed sleeve but including the original disc. here also the
sound isn't the best. on some tracks it seems as if they suddenly get
more dynamic/bass towards the end.

anyone who has the same impression here ?

i am not willing to pay a single euro for this **** quality in the future.

oh, may i add how great some of the tracks could have been without
mikey dreads nerving effects (argh, this synthesizer, simply a terrible childs toy).

if he thinks this was creative .....
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby ephteeay » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:33 am

i dont know what youre talking about regarding mikey dreads toys & auralux sound quality but im sure many will disagree! meaning lots of posts to read!! yayyyy
ephteeay

Postby informer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:39 am

this would only prove how modest many reggae customers are.
and some of the effects are really nerving.
informer

Postby skunkride » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:47 am

The FX are part of the music...like it or not it's there & nothing you can do about...quite similar to Gibbs & ET African Dub - some people like it & some hate it. I guess that when this albums were mixed they sounded fresh & exciting (well maybe...) but now they indeed sound a bit obsolete...personally i accept those synths & SFX & usually don't have any problem with them, this is historic document after all what can you do...

About the sound quality i have the Whip Them King Tubby & DATC sets on vinyl & they both sound very good to excellent - couldn't hear any problems whatsoever but would have to check the DATC again. Definitely not "****" thats for sure !! Much better than the last BAF releases for example...

BTW whats the latest release you are talking about - the Jammy set ?
skunkride

Postby informer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:52 am

yes, the jammys set.
informer

Postby JV » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:09 pm

As for Auralux sound quality I can say Blackboard Jungle & Whip Them King Tubby are excellent but that Roots Of Dancehall compilation is very very appalling. Very restricted, closed and muted sound at least compared how some of them sounded on their original releases. Night and day. Don't know about other releases.
JV

Postby Jackie Pablo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:43 pm

Roots Of Dancehall.

Is that the cheapo CD compilation set that was issued in hope that it might attract bargain hunters who will then go and purchase more from the Auralux catalogue after hearing the selection?

JV says it's appalling, so that's the end of any interest in that one for me!
Jackie Pablo

Postby Moses » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:50 pm

Jackie Pablo wrote:Roots Of Dancehall.

Is that the cheapo CD compilation set that was issued in hope that it might attract bargain hunters who will then go and purchase more from the Auralux catalogue after hearing the selection?

JV says it's appalling, so that's the end of any interest in that one for me!

No, that's a sampler and actually VERY much worth buying.

I have been underwhelmed by the Auralux output so far, and unfortunately for them, their killer release (Upsetters) was outflanked by Trojan.

Roots of Dancehall was an early eighties dancehall comp. Poor quality sound and a not very exciting selection of tunes IMHO. It is also FAR too short.
Moses

Postby Jackie Pablo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:59 pm

Moses,

Thanks for putting me right on that one.
Jackie Pablo

Postby jb welda » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:01 pm

personally i rate roots of dancehall (i have it on vinyl) very highly, nice collection of tunes and i didnt hear any sound problems beyond what might be expected. but then again i dont have originals for much of it.

i say, buy without hesitation. i think its a killer set with a heavy bass vibe to it.

roots of king tubbys is good too.

whats disappointing to me, in a tangential way, is makasounds lynval thompson release: rocking vibration. crappy selection and sound not much to write home about.

that mikey dread crap never really did much for me and those effects and jingles just make it worse. comparing it to joe gibbs dub sets is very appropriate.

maybe its just me.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby JV » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:52 pm

As always, tastes vary. Selectionwise Roots Of Dance Hall is top notch. I just don't like the sound of it because IMO it pales in comparison with the originals (the ones I've heard, not all). Sounds like digital forgery, although they deny that in their sleeve notes - then in case the damage has already been done by the producer before passing the tapes to Auralux. If you like B&F, Pressure sounds etc. forged stuff then no problem I guess. Use your own ears as judge for yourself.
Blackboard Jungle is very organic sounding, so is Whip them...
JV

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:08 pm

I have the sampler and think it pretty good,i like the idea of valve mastering that auralax are into,nice sound......as for the Mikey Dread set,i bought that for 14 quid,and i think its tosh,doesnt do anything for me at all......if anyone has anything to trade for it let me know....
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Return to General discussion