Vinyl to Mac

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Vinyl to Mac

Postby dubya » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:09 am

How the hell does this work? What software/hardware to I need to purchase from the hallowed halls of the Apple store?

Oh and a Happy New Year to you all...
dubya

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:27 am

1) record from the stereo system via the mic input (or through an additional audio PCI card or USB audio equipment) to audio aiff files.
2) split and/or edit the files (with Audacity for example).
3) burn the CDs with iTunes (for free) or Toast (from Roxio).

For the sofware a look at http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html should help.

That are just the basics... Hope it helps.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Postby skunkride » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:31 pm

record from the stereo system via the mic input

Mic input is no good for this purpose & probably would get you a distorted signal, use the line in of your soundcard instead. Also if you want your recordings to sound real good better invest in a decent sound card.
skunkride

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:37 pm

I personally installed an Audiophile 2496 PCI sound card.
I also invested in Toast with Jam. It comes with Peak Express and some useful noise reduction vst plugins.

An interesting thing I discovered recently is to cut-off frequencies below 20 Hz. It stabilizes the sound by eliminating vinyl surface irregularities (from slighty warped records for example).
For heavyly warped singles (45 rpm) I record them at 33 rpm and then resample at 1.35 x. Very good results.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Postby steve0 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:35 am

I just have an audio lead going from the output on the back of my stereo to the mic input on the back of the Mac. Then use CD Spin Doctor (which comes as part of Roxio's Toast Titanium) to convert the analog signal to digital and separate the tracks. This produces uncompressed Aiff files which you can then burn to CD (using Toast or iTunes) or rip to MP3 (using iTunes).

I've been using this for about 6 years and find it very easy to use, as well as never noticing any deterioration in sound quality from not using an additional sound card. So it might be worth you trying without, before looking to spend any additional money.

Roxio's 'Toast with Jam' is the more professional option to 'Toast Titanium' and gives you more options in trying to remove pops and clicks, but I've never found this necessary either.

As with any of these things, you can make it as complicated as you want – but it is possible to do it just by buying an audio cable and a copy of Toast.

Steve0
steve0

Return to General discussion