Checkmates anyone?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Checkmates anyone?

Postby nickbug » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:30 pm

Anyone got any idea of any of the members of the Checkmates that did Turn Me On? Been searching but have come up with nothing.

Happy new year to everyone.
nickbug

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:47 pm

No idea who the band members are Nick but have read that The Checkmates were aka Ossie & The Upsetters. Can't confirm anything about that but traced four singles from the early 60's at Studio 1:
Checkmates
Invisible Ska
Train To Soulville

Ossie & The Upsetters
True Love
Turn Me On
(this one sounding very like Lee Perry on vocals)

If these two groups are the same outfit, two other sides were recorded for Leslie Kong ('Si Senor' & 'Strange Country') and one for King Edwards ('Country Girl') that was credited on the 7" revive as by The Original Upsetters, with vocals sounding very like Justin Hinds.
Jackie Pablo

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Correction!

'Country Girl' (The Original Upsetters) sounds like Lee Perry could be on vocal, and not Justin Hinds. The Justin Hinds vocal was on 'Scandalising' which was on the B side of the single (also credited to The Original Upsetters).

Nothing like a good old mix-up!

Was there any other singer in Jamaica's ska period who could sing and sound like Lee Perry?
Jackie Pablo

Postby Ska Nick » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:39 pm

While were on the subject, There is a Roland Alphonso cut of Checkmates "Turn Me On" that i've got somewhere and have not been able to figure out what it is..........Anyone know??

Ive just played "Turn Me On" backed with 3 King Edwards tunes by the Upsetters. "Country Girl" vocals sound just like the vocals of "Turn Me On" with the Lee Perry sounding guy taking the lead. Must say though.....Its not Perry!

The other two Edwards vocals were "Walk Down The Aisle" which sounded i bit like J Hinds on lead and "Scandalizing" wich sounds nothing like the Checkmates.

The fact that "Turn Me On " and "Country Girl" are so alike is enough for me. The two groups must be conected.
Am gonna seek more info about this over the next week!

Jackie, "You Send Me" was produced by R Harper, JA Doctor Bird!!
A friend told me before who was in the Enchenters, But i forgot......Sould have made a note!!

One love.
Ska Nick

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:12 pm

Nick,

For more information and some very interesting reading on this do a search for Upsetting Ska over at the Trojan forum.
Jackie Pablo

Return to General discussion