West African record labels

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Ringo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:53 pm

Leaving on 9th January for a month, but of course I'll be using the internet cafes to keep an eye on your Ebay activity.
Plans remain fairly open as they depend on how it pans out travelling with our 18 month old daughter, but we are meeting Zoki in Timbuktu, where I'm hoping to trade him with the salt miners for 3 camels and a djembe.
Ringo

Postby ephteeay » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:07 pm

3 camels and a djembe?? .. last time i was there i was only offered a few pieces of pastourma in return for zoki.. good luck.
ephteeay

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:53 pm

Ringo, a couple of things worth checking in Ghana are: Makola market in Accra, supposedly the biggest market in West Africa, if you think Oxford Street is crowded you ain't seen nothin' yet, and it stretches as far as the eye can see! Also if it takes your interest, there are quite a few former slave castles on the coast, where the slaves were held in dungeons before being shipped. I went to one at Cape Coast which was quite an experience, very interesting guided tours where they give you a real impression of the horrors involved. Ghana is generally very safe for visitors & the locals are extremely friendly. I saw a lot of black American tourists on the heritage trails, but when I was at the castle all the visitors were warned to be careful in the dungeons cos there'd been incidents of locals robbing tourists in there. Ironic to put it mildly to think about americans visiting these places in a bid to discover their roots & then being robbed by the locals...
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Ringo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:16 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll add those to the list. We also have an invite to visit the Rita Marley Foundation, so looks like plenty to do in Ghana.
Ringo

Previous

Return to General discussion