where have all the good times gone?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Ekki » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:04 am

Yes, Doug - I got them all!
And all these albums rate high in my book, and I might even got more by these artists and other stuff I forgot :wink:

In general I DO prefer the older stuff, because I'm getting old myself and I do love to dig in the roots of music.
But that doesn't mean that nowadays there is no good music. That's nonsense!
There is lot of stuff that's not my taste, but there is enough that I like!

As BMC says, the Old Vs. New discussion is pretty useless!

If you're still curious, there still is enough music to explore - old and new!
Ekki

Re: where have all the good times gone?

Postby RootzKilla » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:14 am

reggae had good tunes in every period before and after 85 some dancehall things, UK dub even now we have in Poland new sort of dhl artist who joint good music with conscious lyrics in our language and people love it :-) and then diggin for other reggae relases clasics dub etc
Last edited by RootzKilla on Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RootzKilla

Postby ephteeay » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:23 am

actually.. i was helping at a record shop and i put a 2004 LP from SPAIN (i dont remember who it was unfortunately..) and was shocked at the rootsy (in the old style rootsy way) vibe it had..

i think there was a track called "prisoner" or something like that if that helps.. some dubs... kinda yellow brown cover...
i dont know if it had anything to do with bdf.. whatver it was it sounded great
ephteeay

Postby informer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:54 am

as many of you may know i'm a "70s head".

but i'm still open for sounds recorded after 1980. yes, really !!!!
otherwise i wouldn't know hiphop ....

i still remember the beginnings of dancehall (when i still checked all the releases) and there were a lot of good tunes (as usual often remakes of classics) among an even greater amount of garbage. so you have to dig and you will always find something good in any period. it's just time consuming to check all the releases over the years and at some point you loose it because there is simply too much music out there.
you can concentrate on one or two styles/periods. for all other good stuff there is this board to give advice. someone once sent me 6 discs full of 90s-00s productions and 5 of the 6 are really very good from start to finish (imo of course). so trust some fellow boarders compilations for digging new ground.

you can't make it alone. as said - too much .......
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby James » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:41 am

<<it's just time consuming to check all the releases over the years and at some point you loose it because there is simply too much music out there.
you can concentrate on one or two styles/periods>>

exactly... personally, when I get tired of listening to 60s/70s reggae I tend to listen to 60s/70s soul/funk or blues, which I always find more rewarding than anything recorded post the mid 80s. I'm sure I'm missing loads of good music, but at the same time, I'm also discovering loads of good music. The comps that I do have of 80s or 90s reggae are almost never played. Give me 50s music over the 90s any day!
James

Postby k zar » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:09 am

classic lps post 80s? where do you start...

twinkle brothers alone got at least 3
yami bolo - jah made them all
white mice - true love
daweh congo - guidance
bushman - total commitment
ras imru asha - tribute to selassie
sizzla - praise ye jah(purists...yeah yeah)
ras shiloh - idrens chant, babyon you doom
numerous jah shaka lp's namely the pepper lp
several barrington levy lps
couple of garnett silk lps
etc, etc
k zar

Postby gryffe » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:12 pm

aw cmon BMC. tell me what Im missing, its why I started the thread :D
i just get the feeling that maybe there were some good to great singles released, but from what i gather no great albums. i also get the feeling that if there were great albums being released, this board would have been full of recommendations(dont remember any), also the music press in the uk always raved about reggae, the last band i remember getting big praise was black uhuru!!
the one album i will concede to classic status is ini kamozes debut,still play it every so often.
if my point was a bit general, you must still get the point i was trying to make - much as it pained me to make it :cry:
gryffe

Postby Semi-Decent » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Gyrffe,

This is kinda cheatin' because this lp/cd was somewhat created with a 70's feel in mind, -- but did you ever hear Everton Blender's "King Man" lp/cd(Hearbeat)? If you pick it up, you might catch yourself in the middle of it saying "When was this recorded? Naw, it couldn't have been..."

But without even going back too many years (10), may I also suggest:

All lps or cds:

Glen Washington - Cant You See (+ he has several other quality lps)
Admiral Tibet - Try To Reach The Top
Luciano - Where There Is Life or One Way Ticket
(Lots of places sell these titles)

Here's some that I second, that other baffers have already mentioned:

Bushman - Total Commitment
Warrior King - Virtuous Woman ((2002)
Morgan Heritage - Protect Us Jah (1997)
Jah Mali - "El Shaddai"
(Lots of places sell these titles)

and man, this is just a START and what's good+ out there in 'recent' music.

Not trying to sound sarcastic, but if you're hoping to find the sound of yesterday in todays' records, welp, it's gonna be a tough search.

But imo there has been a payoff (lately) - and thats when the 70's style of reggae meets up with the freshness of the 2000's...There are lotz of guys, and gals, who are doing some bubbly, gritty reggae cutz in these times.

Fewer and farther between,,,maybe - but then again, there were plenty of duds in the 70's and 80's too.
Semi-Decent

Postby gryffe » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:58 pm

thanks for the replies guys, cant say im convinced yet

semi decent- im downloading the everton blender album on napster- i will give it a listen (isnt napster great for this - for 9.99 per month you can download as much as you want, great way to preview)
if i like it i will probably buy it

cheers
gryffe

Postby gryffe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:16 pm

ok semi decent - you got me big time there. what a pile of pants this everton blender album is - i finally tumbled your ruse when i got to track 3 - little green apples indeed! this is almost as bad as mick hucknall doing night nurse :D
gryffe

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:58 pm

i disagree...that blender album is great. even little green apples comes off well, relatively speaking.

i would also throw into the ring anything done by mafia and fluxy and put out on sip a cup. great modern roots.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Semi-Decent » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:46 am

Gryffe,

Well......(tapping fingers on desk) let's see then...

Ok, so the first three songs on "King Man" might not be the hottest cuts, but did you at least listen to: 'False Tounge' 'Backra' 'The System' 'Tabernacle Tree' 'True Love' & 'Who Cares'?? They are the best ones imo.

If you did catch these titles and you still didn't like "King Man", hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Just to play the game once more though - and if you're willing, Gryffe -- you GottA know & love this '83er:
Don Carlos' "Pass Me The Lazer Beam" aka "Spread Out".

:arrow: :?: :P
Semi-Decent

Postby ephteeay » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:46 am

re: my post before about ssomething good and spanish

Loud&Lone ( similar musicians as BDF ) from the album "Showcase vol.2" in 2000 (ignore the 2004 i said before) This band doesn't exist anymore but some members are in a new band called Lone ARK

(look out for it..i put it on in a shop to listen.. someone bought it a few minutes later.. so i didnt get to hear it all!! but it sounded better than everything jamaican (which isnt so roots/reggaeish imo) ive heard in the past few years)(not only better but its what i think modern reggae should have sounded like - i was very impressed from the little i heard)

http://www.reggaenews.co.uk/featured_ar ... ne_ark.asp

(i have edited a pm from someone incase he didnt want too much attention)
ephteeay

Postby ganja lion » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:04 am

i can't stand how people hate on the modern roots scene, when there are soooooo many good tunes pouring out. i admit, there's a lot of junk, but thats the deal with any music. i'm here in Qatar right now for a couple months, and before i left i bought an ipod and loaded it up with a ton of music. one of the categories was "modern roots" and i easily filled it up with about 300 songs....and that's probably only going through 10% of my collection. i have thousands of modern roots singles on 45, and i'd be glad to hook u up to downloading them off me..but it's gotta way till May. but if u want lists of singles to download PM me and i'll sort ya out. :)

respect
ganja lion

Postby James » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:10 am

Personally I think that Loud and Lone/ BDF is just an awful pastiche... it's got no soul! I've never enjoyed modern UK roots all that much either... although it sounds great on a sound system at a dance the few modern roots CDs I own very quickly end up languishing in the 'never play again' pile...
James

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion