Best artists of 2004 - the final results

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Best artists of 2004 - the final results

Postby BMC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:55 pm

I've been going through the singles of 2004 JA-productions I bought and checked which artists in the end released the largest number of imo quality singles and then used the overall quality of the tunes to get my final ranking for best artists:

Image Roots stylee:
1) Turbulence
2) Richie Spice
3) Capleton
4) Morgan Heritage
5) Anthony B

[I was actually kinda surprised to see Anthony B end up on here, but he had quite a few wicked tunes this year on several of the biggest riddims that all together made this a good year for him imo]

Image Dancehall / bashment stylee:
1) Elephant Man
2) Beenie Man
3) Capleton
4) Bounty Killer
5) TOK

There are a number of artists that did very good on a few tunes this year so they are on my list of "to keep an eye on in 2005". They don't have to be youngsters or new in the scene, but somehow imo showed a progression in 2004, what makes me very curious about their things for 2005:

Image Watch out for:
1) I Wayne
2) Chuck Fender
3) (General) Degree
4) Assassin
5) Tanya Stephens

I wish all baffers a healthy and musical 2005 with joy for all, as Capleton sang this year on the Gal Gone riddim! :lol:

BMC

Postby DrSuperlove » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:10 pm

bmc, can you tell me what is THE best 2004 single and this reggae sentimentalist will give it a try

"music answer" doesn't count!
DrSuperlove

Postby BMC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:11 pm

Turbulence - It's So Bright (label: Star Trail - riddim: Mineral)

(in my not so humble opinion ofcourse) :D

You got to realize though that I'm a huge deejay fan and usually prefer it over singers, unlike many others around here.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:26 pm

Best single of 2004 - Junior Gong - Welcome To Jamrock.

Close second - Richie Spice - Redda Fire.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:52 pm

for a bunch of gangsta thugs, TOK got some sweet vocals going on.

gordon, that single is that good? the jr gong one i mean. i find that hard to believe but not because you say it, just because nothing those marley clones/kids have done has ever done much for me.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby KING RATHID » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:53 pm

What! BMC your a bashment selector just like meself and yuh dont even mention the WAR ANGEL VYBZ KARTEL! The man tek 2004 straight! After him roots wise its between RICHIE SPICE & JAH CURE!
Worries Outanational - Dublin
KING RATHID

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:55 pm

It's superb JB, an attack of pure vitriol against the JA government. Forget it's by a Marley, buy and enjoy.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby BMC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:18 pm

King Rathid,

My problem with Kartel is that he sounds the same on most of his tunes. He keeps on repeating the same set of lyrics. He did have some nice ones out this year, but overall not very impressive in my opinion. Also, Spragga was far more convincing in the lyrical war between him and Vybz (Done See It kills Faggot Correction easily imo).

Jah Cure had a pretty good year too indeed, but with a smaller number of tunes than the above mentionned.
BMC

Postby Maarty » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:31 pm

I second that Gordon. big tune!
Maarty

Postby KING RATHID » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:44 pm

BMC! Well I agree on the war! Nuh man cyaan dunn Spragga 12 years inna dis! He murdered Kartel straight! But he was the biggest artist of 2004 but not in your opinion so I respek dat. As for JAH CURE IMO I think he done well keepin the tunes to a minimal few. Poor year for Bounty and Beenie. ELE needs to check into a mental hospital his tunes IMO opinion are a joke! I was a major fan of his but now I think he turn CLOWN ARTISTE! I've got an ELE mix cd I done pm ya addy and I'll send yuh a copy!
KING RATHID

Postby Fish » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Like Rathid, I can't say I agree about Ele . . . he has the voice, the flow, and the delivery to be a great deejay, but so many of his tunes are downright embarassing. I mean, "Sesame Street???" And, although he's been doing this for a long time, the endless stealing of R&B hooks doesn't really help him any, IMO . . . probably way too late for him to turn around now, but with some different career choices I think he could've been a deejay with some longevity, where people fifteen years from now would still play his tunes. As it is now, he seems to thrive more off of hype than off of any lasting musical contribution . . . just my 2 cents, though.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby so nice » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:57 pm

again i say it's Richie Spice -- hands down.
so nice

Postby BMC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:25 pm

Hahaha, yes, Ele is always a point of discussion. :lol: I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would mention something about it.

Thing is for me, Ele can do it all and make it all sound good. He can do the party tunes (of which he did a few too many, I agree), he can do straight bashment stylee, but he can also do a roots riddim to good effect. This year he didn't do much roots style riddims other than the recent Tenemant Yard riddim, which isn't too bad but not spectacular either.
For pure bashment tunes he did excellent on for instance Stepz and Rah Rah. His Summer Bounce was pretty good too as was his When Gal Want Whine (Night & Day riddim) and Enemies on the Phantom riddim.

As for all his party tunes, which get the most criticism, but are extremely good selling tunes at the same time, I think it's just funny. The fact that he can even make songs like that and make 'm flow inna wicked way just shows his skills. I also have the idea that Ele himself is laughing out loud for all those that take his clowning tunes like the Chaka Chaka and Sesame Street too serious, while he's just having fun and selling I don't know how many. He can do it all and get away with it. I play those tunes, because I think many of 'm are hilarious, like the Sesame Street. Bun Bad Mind is by many conscidered as one of the wickedest bashment tunes of the year, me included. Some tunes go a bit too far though, even for me, like his recent Afraid A Wi, based on some kind of Christmas Carol, but in the main, I can handle a bunch of funny Ele tunes, as long as he keeps on showing his capability of deejaying inna dancehall fashion too, which he until now keeps on doing.

Anyway, in the end, I can't think of any other artist that released more wicked bashment tunes than Ele in 2004, hence hsi number 1 spot in my list.

Go Ele! Image
BMC

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:30 pm

gordon: unfortunately ernie b is out of stock on welcome to jamrock. i will have to keep my eyes peeled in the shops next time i go.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby KING RATHID » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:54 pm

well I agree BUN BAD MIND is a wicked tune and no doubt it dunn di dance every time it gets played........I'm fed up with ele and his clown tune. He made some wicked tunes like HATERS on the BUZZ and HATERZ ont he H2O riddim. As soon as signal de plane and pon di river pon di bank came out for me he just went down hill. Last ggod roots tune I heard from ele was the judgement riddim on richie stephens pot of gold label.
KING RATHID

Return to General discussion