What do you think of Beres Hammond's latest Album?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Liam » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:49 pm

Like you I thought Music Is Life was great. I got this new one the other day but haven't played it yet. I may give it a blast later.
Liam

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:13 pm

If you're looking for another Music Is Life, forget it. I think Beres' greatest work is behind him now to be honest(Come Down Father was three years ago now, Much Clearer a couple of years back).

However, as an easy listening pleasant reggae album it's still top drawer stuff. I think Beres has always had one foot in the "big peoples" market so a lot of his music isn't going to appeal to those looking for another "Putting Up Resistance".

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Liam » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:32 pm

After giving it a listen I can find 2 or 3 good tunes on there, the rest are too sickly sweet even by Beres's normal standards. Anyway 19 tracks is way too long for an album. By the end of it - pure torture.
Liam

Postby informer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:41 pm

the problem is that jamaican artists are putting out too many albums.
how shall this result in top quality over the years ?

prime examples gregory isaacs and the wannabee dennis brown clone frankie paul.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby reggaepostman » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:09 pm

Though I admit it's not as strong as "music is life"and that the last few songs should not be included I think it's still a strong album."no more" is one of the best songs that I've heard this year.
Yes I know it's sweet (too sweet for many ), but I think it has something a lot of other jamaican music hasn't : good arrangements and well thought production.You can tell it took a lot of time (and money) to make this album.And though he puts out a lot of 45's it was almost 4 years he released music is life.
reggaepostman

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:34 pm

He's got his own studio so he can cruise in there anytime of day and night he feels to work on stuff with no studio clock ticking
Chocolate Soldier

Postby so nice » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:55 pm

i like this new album but not as much as "music is life"

if i remember right that last tune on the LP is my favorite
so nice

Return to General discussion