where have all the good times gone?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

where have all the good times gone?

Postby gryffe » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:01 am

so as usual, i have spent xmas day playing all the great albums(or songs)that touch me, its something i do when ive had a few beers!
anyway,played some rock, some blues,some reggae (late 60s/70s/early 80s)and i got to thinking - i dont have any albums after bobby bobylon and truths and rights (late 70s/early 80s?) which I consider classics in the reggae(or music in general) field?- and i am not thinking reissues here- i am thinking jamaican music of the last 20 years - a hell of a long time period ! why is this? dont think its ignorance on my part cos i voraciously read all music publications i can get my hands on, so i dont think ive missed anything, OR HAVE I !!
over to you guys - tell me what im missing- i dont expect a deluge :D
gryffe

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:12 am

this one, for starters!

no wait, that's not reggae
DrSuperlove

Postby James » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:42 am

There is almost nothing worth listening to recorded post about 85. Just my opinion, of course...
James

Postby ephteeay » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:10 am

vivian jones' "red eyes" is (very surprisingly) from 1986 i think

if you havent heard roots radics LPs you should.. barrington levy - poor man style, johnny osbourne's "never stop fighting.. those are i think from 1982.. quite modern.. i dont know if you reached that year yet.. but it was a good year..
ephteeay

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:04 pm

Gryffe,have you checked the Disciples broadcasts?Russ d's been spinning some nice late 80's early 90's reggae...
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby gryffe » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:34 pm

97 views, 4 replies = no suggestions.
sadly, i think i may be right on this- but its staggering to think that the last 20 years, compared to the 20 before it should be so barren
gryffe

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:00 pm

i'm a reggae classicist myself but dona-v's Joy Will It Be is fantastic, that one's only a few years old, then again the rhythm track is from the sixties
DrSuperlove

Postby tim p » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:14 pm

I tend to listen to singles not albums so there are probably lots of people here who are far more qualified to talk about this than I am. Still I would consider:
Luciano - Sweep Over My Soul (Jet Star)
Sizzla - Black Woman & Child (Greensleeves)
Jah Cure - Free Jah's Cure (JD)
to name only three to be truly great albums. I can enjoy these as much as anything put out in the 70's.

There are many more great albums. Buju's Till Shiloh album is often described as a classic for instance though I've never "got that" like some people. Did the 70's and early 80's produce better albums? The number of truly great releases was probably higher but it's easy to look at these with rose tinted spectacles and to forget the many less than great releases that came out in this period.
tim p

Re: where have all the good times gone?

Postby Pluto » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:01 pm

gryffe wrote:so as usual, i have spent xmas day playing all the great albums(or songs)that touch me, its something i do when ive had a few beers!
anyway,played some rock, some blues,some reggae (late 60s/70s/early 80s)and i got to thinking - i dont have any albums after bobby bobylon and truths and rights (late 70s/early 80s?) which I consider classics in the reggae(or music in general) field?- and i am not thinking reissues here- i am thinking jamaican music of the last 20 years - a hell of a long time period ! why is this? dont think its ignorance on my part cos i voraciously read all music publications i can get my hands on, so i dont think ive missed anything, OR HAVE I !!
over to you guys - tell me what im missing- i dont expect a deluge :D

Imo, some of the most exciting reggae stuff comes from the late 70s/early 80s period when roots eventually became dancehall and before machines "took over". Even in the post-SlengTeng era till nowadays there's much fine reggae music being made, but all this is a matter of taste of course.

For early 80s stuff, one could check:

Sly & Robbie Taxi productions
Henry 'Junjo' Lawes productions
Linval Thompson productions

and many great artists associated with this period:
Black Uhuru
Don Carlos
Jr Reid
Eek-A-Mouse
Triston Palma
Yellowman
Ini Kamoze
Lone Ranger
etc etc

Can't say that I have much of the most recent (late 80s/90s/00s) stuff, but I've heard many fantastic tunes from these years. Some recommendations would be to check the likes of:

King Jammy productions
Winston Riley productions
King Tubby's Firehouse productions
Augustus 'Gussie' Clarke productions
Penthouse productions
Digital B productions
Xterminator productions
(and others)

There are still plenty of talented artists/musicians in the reggae field, imo. It could be said though that a larger percentage of reggae's output of today is 'average' compared to the past. And that an 'average' tune from the golden era (late 60s/70s/early 80s) is much better than a recent/contemporary 'average' tune due to the real-band (non-digital) musicianship. However, there's still much quality stuff that shines through.
Pluto

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:01 pm

The first Jah Mali album from around 98 "El Shaddai" is a modern day classic IMO.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Ekki » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:43 pm

It's a question of taste :!:
But you are really missing some good times with the following albums:

Ini Kamoze - Ini Kamoze (1984)
Twilight Dub Circus - Foundation Rockers (2003)
Roots Control - Dread Western (1996)
Rico & His Band - Get Up Your Foot (2000)
Warrior King - Virtuous Woman ((2002)
Silly Walks Productions -Silly Walks Movement (2003)
Ras Imruh Asha - Tribute To Selassie I
Monty Alexander & Ernest Ranglin - Rocksteady (2004)
Patrice - Ancient Spirit (2000)
Morgan Heritage - Protect Us Jah (1997)
Bim Sherman - Miracle (1996)
Little Axe - The Wolf That House Built (1994)
Gentleman - Journey To Jah (2002)
Jah Shaka & The Fasimbas - In The Ghetto (1993)
Dub Syndicate - Classic Selections Vpl. 1 (1989)
Dean Fraser - Big Up! (1997)
Restless Mashaits - Kingston Tapes
Various Artists - A Tribute To Jackie Mittoo (2004)

There is still music made nowadays and you can find great stuff :wink:
Ekki

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:18 pm

Do you have all these albums Ekki? How is the Restless Mashaits? You really seem to be getting more into the modern stuff these days :)
Ital Dokta

Postby BMC » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:17 pm

Do I really have to go into telling that modern day reggae music, and certainly later 80's, early 90's is often as good as many 70's reggae releases and that people who think all good reggae stopped back then have a very narrow-minded view on the music and are mainly romanticizing that period? Nah, don't feel like going there again, usually a useless discussion anyway. :lol:

Back to my Best Of 2004 new releases compilation. 3 CD's already and not finished yet. :lol:
BMC

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:44 pm

Go on, BMC, tell 'em again, can't be arsed myself :lol:

Back to my Best Of 2004 new releases compilation. 3 CD's already and not finished yet.

Sounds wicked, looking forward to seeing the final results of this one!
Ital Dokta

Postby BMC » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:58 pm

Ital Dokta wrote:Sounds wicked, looking forward to seeing the final results of this one!

You'll love it Doc! And you'll be the first to know when ready. It's fun making it too, a sort of 2004-review! :D

As for the above discussion, if someone else feels the need to go into this be my guest, but it sure is not gonna be me! Image Got better things to do! Image
BMC

Next

Return to General discussion