meditations

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

meditations

Postby gryffe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:42 pm

just struck me that i dont recall the meditations being discussed much on the b+f board. dug out their greatest hits album - superb sounds

was thinking of buying "i love jah" on wackies - whats the verdict on this album guys?

cheers

gryffe
gryffe

Postby Anonymous » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:59 pm

Buy it without hesitation, a great album.

I'm a big fan of the Meditations, next to look out for is their "Message From The Meditations" album, but don't get the United Artists issue as the mix is a bit flat and there's not enough bass. Look for it on Wildflower JA press instead, it shows up on EBay from time to time.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby gryffe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:12 pm

cheers gordy - will buy the wackies set.
i was looking to get the message album but i dont have a deck, dont think its been reissued on cd- or has it?

cheers

gryffe
gryffe

Postby Anonymous » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:41 pm

No it hasn't I'm afraid. :(

Some of the tracks can be found on the Heartbeat CD "Deeper Roots" which is another worth picking up. There's also a CD on the French Makasound label called Guidance which features 70s cuts but I haven't got around to buying this one yet.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Mario 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:47 pm

I think this was discussed here --

www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewtopic.php?t=581

The Makasound album is EXCELLENT, as is the Wackies one, peaceful and mediative with spiritual vocals.
Mario 2

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:35 pm

Sorry to disagree, but I thought the Bullwackies set was a bit stiff and, in a few instances, very poorly sung (i.e. flat), esp. some of the lead vox. They seemed to be ape-ing the sound of some of those Upsetter singles without managing to capture the fullness of the sound. IMVHP, of course.

As mentioned previously, I would love to own a proper re-issue of Messege. Maybe someday.
Aaron

Postby Mario 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:47 pm

fair enough -- Meditations can be a bit hit and miss, I agree, and I think with Wackies, you either are a fan of the sound or you arent. I like it, but some people think it has a depressing edge.
Mario 2

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:39 am

Message From The Meditations is perhaps the best album in reggae that isn't available on cd, Deeper Roots is a fine Best Of but doesn't round up all the greats

no reason for B+F to dip into thin ale with this stuff still not widely available
DrSuperlove

Postby jahboo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:49 am

FYI ... the Meditations sing Harmonies on a tune on the forthcoming John Brown's Body album titled "Pressure Points" on the Easy Star label ... due in April ... also ... some of JBB's horn section are on the latest Meditations release ... few good tunes on it ...

and on the Guidance ... Justice is one of the best Med's tunes i've ever heard ...

furthermore ... a local band I'm recording in the studio calling themselves "The Sons of Thunder" ... the lead singer knows Ansell well and they (the meds) maybe making some guest harmonies on the album

:) sweeeeet !
jahboo

Postby gryffe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:00 am

come on b and f - what you waiting for?
release message from the meditations, you know it makes sense :)
gryffe

Postby ian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:18 pm

I think BAF have tried to re-release Message From... but haven't been able to for one reason or another which I can't remember now but it was mentioned on the previous board...perhaps someone has got a better memory than me and can explain further...
ian

Postby TruthsAndRights » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:55 am

...slick chick in the part tonight...
~Equal Rights And Justice Stands For All~
TruthsAndRights

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:52 am

BAF was going to release this several years ago complete with b-sdie dubs but that heartbeat collection was released right around then, so they ditched the concept. the heartbeat one only had about half the "message" album, but i guess that was enough for baf to consider it already done. a shame, the version sides are big. hopefully it will get the full baf treatment down the line.
Anonymous

Return to General discussion