Mento Chin's 3 and 4 out and partial review.

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Mento Chin's 3 and 4 out and partial review.

Postby Anonymous » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:52 pm

Fabulous last two cds from Ivan Chin out via CDBaby and though they totally screwed up my order, they righted it wonderfully and the cds finally turned up.

So the volumes 1,2,3 & 4 (a Total of about 65 tunes) go something like this -

Quality on 2 & 3 is great, much better that 1 & 4. The music is indispensible, with the tune 'Farm Yard Cha Cha Cha' rapidly rising to my all time top 10. Cd 3 (or is it 4, sorry I'm away from home) has a number of Quadrille and Ring Play tunes on, giving a wonderfully rare insight into areas of Jamaican music and cultural history that are virtaully forgotten musically. Quadrilles were essential to Mento's development and Mento in turn was essential to Ska.... and the story progresses ..

A must buy for the Jamaican music madmen amongst yee..
Anonymous

Postby radio wansmaak » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:42 pm

yes thanks bmd have you noticed this release yet:
http://www.simplyvinyl.com/more.asp?cat ... e=4&id=668
radio wansmaak

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:59 pm

Man that's cheap, if I didn't already have it on cd then I'd get that... !

I'm just listening to the 3rd cd as I write and have just listened to a tune called Adina, which is remarkably similar in melody and structure to the Folks Brothers famous 'Oh Carolina' which must post date this recording, (probably around the 55-58 date line).
Anonymous

Postby DMc » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:36 pm

DMc
DMc

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:47 pm

I know it's probably really bad form to say so. but hey when did that ever stop the ole bmd ? But I just can't be wasting my time wallowing around on Mike Garnice's Mento site, it's got a lot of good information, but is confused, packed so full it's impossible to organise your thoughts when using it, everytime I go there I'm left feeling pissed off that someone with a little bit of nouse doesn't design something you can actually use.

Anyone agree?

Fonts are confusing, backgrounds are 'interuptus upon the eyes' and it's just plain garish... (Ur Herm... seen johnnyclarke.com lately mike?) there's no design element to it at all, I mean 50's Calypso is a fashion genre just waiting for a website to utilise it's wonderful colours, fonts, fabric designs and so on..
In my opinion he needs to step back , re-design from the knowledge he's undoubtedly gained in letting it 'develope' at it's own speed.

It's just such a great opportunity, he obviously has the ears of many past and present enthusiasts, and I just feel it's a opportunity going...

Of course it's the only one, and he's done a fantastic job of providing us with an opportunity to see some of this stuff.
Anonymous

Postby DMc » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:10 am

Yes, Mike it's not an easy site. Still I'm really happy that someone is taking the effort to pass along some info about this music.
DMc
DMc

Postby Ekki » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:31 am

Thanks for the update, Mike!
I'll guess one day I have to visit cdbaby.

As for the mento site, I couldn't agree more with DMc :wink:
Ekki

Return to General discussion