freddie mcgregor - come on over

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

freddie mcgregor - come on over

Postby gryffe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:39 pm

been diggin "bobby bobylon" recently so decided its time for some more freddie. "big ship" hits me big time as well
was thinking of buying "come on over", any of you guys got an opinion on this albums

cheers

gryffe
gryffe

Postby Donovan » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:03 am

Don't do it Gryyfe! Because I love "Big Ship" so much, I purchased "Come On Over" but I found it flat and uninspiring. Surprising since it's from the same time period and backed by the Radics. But something is missing. Maybe it was the production of Linval Thompson. A far better LP was "All in the same boat". It's poppier and tries to pull a crossover thing but it's way more fun and successful than "Come on over".
Donovan

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:14 am

I think its a nice enough album. Some cracking rhythms by the Roots Radics but quite short (around 30 minutes or less I think). All In the Same Boat and Across the Border are also very good sets from around the same period and either of them would probably edge out Come On Over in my book.

Never really understood all the fuss about Big Ship myself, but Bobby Bobylon is a definite classic.
Ital Dokta

Postby ian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:14 pm

You could also look out for 'I Am Ready' his follow up lp on Studio 1 has some nice tunes on it.
ian

Return to General discussion