record shop closures

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

record shop closures

Postby vane » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:58 pm

I`ve noticed a number of record shops closed/are closing on my travels around the south-east. Daddy Kool closing is well known, but several outside of London, notable for turning up many a gem are also going/gone. All cite the effect of the internet. Am I alone in beleiveing it possible that the these places will all but disappear?
vane

Postby dots69 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:40 pm

having spent near 25 years listening to tunes in record shops their demise to me personally would be devastating ! that said to be honest i dont understand how many of them remain open, tunes are far cheaper to buy over the net and more sites offer you samples to listen to, from the comfort of your home. time will tell i guess. it'll be a sad day when you cant drop into your local store to check tune, alas i think it inevitable..

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:26 am

<m I alone in beleiveing it possible that the these places will all but disappear?>

Probably they will..
small labels too
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Ringo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:30 am

Most of the shops which have closed were run by people on the scene since the 70's. I reckon the difficulties faced by the industry have coincided with many of them reaching a certain age when they can just no longer be arsed to deal with it all. Soon a new wave of reggae obsessives will replace them. Probbly.
Ringo

Return to General discussion