Lion Zion & the Rastafarians

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Lion Zion & the Rastafarians

Postby sylford » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:23 pm

Friends,

Greetings from NorCal, the land of lambsbread (we love the fall/winter season around here, cough cough)

Yes, many of us are not posting simply because we have nothing to say. I am interested in details such as which riddims were used, who mixed, etc., but talk matrix #s and I start to glaze over.

A mention of Jah Big got me thinking. There are a couple other locally produced (northern Cali) releases that are significant:

Lion Zion "Reggae In America"- prod. by Scratch, w/ overdubs in California, excellent lp. Used to see him riding around Berkeley on his bike with the album cover attached to the frame, back when I was a school kid. Played it on the radio recently and got a call from a local guy who added lead guitar here in CA! (Greetings Herb)

The same Herb was part of the Rastafarians, who used to reside here in Santa Cruz. Their lp is solid, featuring guys from other groups, many of whom are still in the area, or at least SF bay area.

Love the new site.
sylford

Postby jb welda » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:32 pm

cant say that i share your enthusiam for that lion zion album, but i think i do remember at least one track i liked. herb daly is a great guy though, and that rastafarians album is evidently reissued finally on cd. haile maskel, tony moses and a few other local luminaries were in that group too...now there was a cali based outfit i liked.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:54 pm

Herb Daly - that's quite a name.
Lawless Street - The finest in Reggae, Ska & Dub. 2RRR 88.5fm Thursday 4 - 6pm
Professor Mushtaq

Return to General discussion