7" Revives of the Month

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

7" Revives of the Month

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:28 pm

1 - Picture On The Wall / Don't Stay Away - Phyllis Dillon (Treasure Isle JA)
A brilliant double sider. Worth it just for the great version of the Freddie McKay song on the A side, even if you do have the essential 'Don't Stay Away' elsewhere. Great pressing too!

2 - Feel Good All Over / Why Do Lovers - Delroy Wilson (Coxsone UK)
Long overdue classic reissue from Delroy. The B side features King Stitt and is taken from his LP Dancehall 63. Another good pressing.

3 - What Kind Of World - The Cables / Peace And Love - Lester Sterling (Studio 1 JA)Warped and crackly Cables side, but the vocals and top rhythm conquers all that! The Ska B side is a treat, plus it's crackle free.

4 - Time Will Tell / Version - The Heptones (Coxsone JA)
Plenty of surface noise on both sides but this original cut of The Heptones 'Hypocrite' is worth checking out.

5 - Sand Lane Shuffle - Count P's All Stars / Loving Arms - Joe Scugie (Roots JA)
It's a real wonder who in this day and age would issue these two R'n'B delights on 7" vinyl, but Coxsone has, and they are two real treasures. It's probably got the wrong titles and artists credited but for all that this is one little gem. No problems with the pressing quality either!

6 - Anti-Christ - Yabby U (Vivian Jackson)
I didn't know this was available again, but it is, and it's essential roots music. The King Tubby dub side is pure magic.
Last edited by Jackie Pablo on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jackie Pablo

Postby ephteeay » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:01 pm

more posts like these we need!! thx jackie.
ephteeay

Postby Bilko » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:26 pm

I just picked up 'Greedy Dog' by Vivian Jackson on Black Arrow. Killer tune.

I also got a repress of the Bamboo album 'Funky Reggae'. Top drawer day dahn Brick Lane.
in every category my subject is version
Bilko

Postby tim p » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:34 pm

I'd heard about that Bamboo LP Bilko, any idea whose done those - is it Peckings? Must admit I'm tempted by that - I've got the original sleeve but not the record.

(they used to have loads and loads of Bamboo LP sleeves in a shop down Clarence Road in Hackney, the same shop that had box loads of Grounation singles)
tim p

Postby Bilko » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:47 pm

White Bamboo label, original sleeve work... looks original except it costs under a tenner.

No idea who did it, nothing on there that isn't original as I can see.

That was a funny shop in Hackney, there was that weird little tatooists there too.
in every category my subject is version
Bilko

Return to General discussion