Reggae From Texas?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Reggae From Texas?

Postby TruthsAndRights » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:05 am

has anybody heard of 'The Killer Bees'? A friend mentioned their name and said they are from Texas and recorded sometime in the 80's. I searched all over google and all i could find was this :

http://www.audiopia.com/featuredartists ... In_Berlin/

... in great dissappoint I was not able to listen to any of these tracks. so if anybody can tell me any info about them like where i can hear or buy their stuff please let me know.
peace
TAR
~Equal Rights And Justice Stands For All~
TruthsAndRights

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:06 am

Yeah the Killer Bees were around in the 80's and hyped as 'America's #1 reggae band' at the time..Never heard their music..They may have even played at Sunsplash..
Cheers,
CS
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Lord Dubious » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:28 pm

Sub Oslo are a dub band from Denton who have been doing their own thing since the late 90s:
http://www.suboslo.com/
Their first record is quite heavy.
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
Lord Dubious

Killer Bees

Postby Andy G » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:20 pm

Growing up in Houston, the Killer Bees were some of my first 'live' experience with reggae. For a young kid just getting into reggae and living off of Roir Cassettes releases, the Killer Bees were great. They always took their live sets into some solid dubwise and the band was extra tight. Listening back to their "live in Berlin" set that came out on Roir it all seems a bit dated, but solid nonetheless. They were definitely a mainstay on the Houston-Austin reggae axis of the early/mid-80s to early 90s. Those were great times for reggae in this area. Always a great mix of caribbean folks, college kids, etc.

Their studio albums never quite reached the vibes of their live shows. I think they might have put 2 or 3 albums out all of very light quality to my ears.
Andy G

Postby Ital Dokta » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:39 am

Charley Pride's son is or was apparently a member of a Texas reggae group, don't recall the name of the band however...wonder if they ever covered any Joe Gibbs tunes :)
Ital Dokta

Postby ephteeay » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:45 am

they had done a cover of 'burning bush' and since then i never heard anything about them again
ephteeay

Postby bridgeman » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Andy G's description of the Killer Bees is similar to mine... they served as opening band for many touring reggae shows in Austin, their "home base". There are 3 studio albums I know of - Groovin' (a late 80's release with some nice tracks), All Abuzz (from probably 7 or 8 years ago), and another one that combined some of the tracks from Groovin. Their music was my first exposure to reggae, and although I quickly advanced from their sounds to JA reggae, their live shows will always hold a special place in my heart. The band almost always had a 2 or 3 piece horn section when I saw them play out.

Michael E. Johnson, singer for the group, passed away 2 or 3 years ago due to a heart attack or heart failure. The guitarist, Papa Mali, still plays in various bands around town, although not entirely reggae.

If you want exposure to their music, look for Live in Berlin rather than the other albums.

Charlie Pride's son, Carlton, has a reggae group simply called the Carlton Pride Band. I've never seen them, so I can't attest to their music.

Andy G - do you still live in Houston? I was working downtown Houston last week, and ate dinner at the New Reggae Hut. Good spicy jerk chicken, but a bit short on musical vibes. When I arrived, they had Steel Pulse's live cd playing. After it finished, I asked the bartender to put on some more music, but no Steel Pulse or Bob Marley. She rolled her eyes, started the Steel Pulse cd again, and turned back to watching Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous.
bridgeman

Postby Andy G » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:35 pm

Bridgeman,

Yes I am still in (or back in, moved away came back) in Houston. I am not surprised about reggae hut. not the best Jamaican place in town, but if you are working downtown probably the easiest place to get to.

Place to go next time is Blue Mountain Cafe on the South side. Wicked food and a nice little sound system. Nothing but Jamaican and other caribbean people eatting wicked jerk chicken, patties, you name it. It is not far from where the old Carabana club used to be.

The Carabana club, those were heady days. Great times and great way to get exposed to reggae. did you ever make it there in the mid-80s?
Andy G

Postby TruthsAndRights » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:24 pm

well I have heard enough good things about these guys to buy "live in berlin" on amazon.com. $5 seems well worth for it.
tar
~Equal Rights And Justice Stands For All~
TruthsAndRights

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:35 am

Carlton Pride should have called his reggae band "Pride of Lions"...now that'd be a cool name :)
Ital Dokta

Postby bridgeman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Andy G - I don't think I'll make it back to Houston any time soon, but I'll keep the Blue Mtn Cafe in mind. I've never been to Houston for a reggae show, and only got introduced to reggae in 1990. That was just at the end of Austin's main reggae club on 6th st, the name of which escapes me now. I caught every reggae show I could at Liberty Lunch, before it was demolished.
bridgeman

Postby Andy G » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:55 am

Mercado Caribe Bridgeman?
Andy G

Postby bridgeman » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:28 pm

That's the one - I remembered the name as I was falling asleep last night.
Houston seems to have quite a reggae scene. I see quite a few flyers for events, but mostly dancehall oriented - are there roots shows coming through town as well? Are there any record shops to check out next time I'm in the area?
bridgeman

Postby Andy G » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:25 pm

Brigeman,

it is mostly bashment, dancehall soundsystem stuff in Houston. Always a Ja or Ja. oriented sound like stone love, Killimanjaro, Rodigan, or Bass Odyessey coming through, but not much roots. There used to be a lot more in the way of good road shows, but that has slowed in the last couple of years.

As far as record stores go, there are a couple as well, but again if you are looking for dusty crates of oldies they are few and far between (and I probably already sifted through them!) Most of it is dancehall stuff. I suspect you'd be better at Waterloo in Austin or on-line.

Next time you are down this way, post me a message and I can give you some more specific directions etc. Peace.
Andy G

Postby bridgeman » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:54 pm

Thanks for the info, Andy G. I'll be in touch in the future.
bridgeman

Return to General discussion