Newcastle Tonight - Big Up Steve, Dom, Dennis Alcapone!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:21 pm

Hilarious Zoki.

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:21 pm

so bad I had to point it out twice :D

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby trinitymlk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:27 pm

...Exactly. -MK
trinitymlk

Postby crazydownbeat » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:32 pm

Sorry Gordy have to admit it made me smile :)
C.D.
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:52 pm

Well I'm offended as my straitjacket clearly had 4 buckles on it and not three :D

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby crazydownbeat » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice one
C.D.
crazydownbeat

Postby informer » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:53 am

now, gordon, i overstand your problem with the jacket and how to get a new one for the winter, but:

WHERE IS THE REVIEW ?????????
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby ephteeay » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:50 pm

YEAH MAN HOW WERE THE PATTIES?
ephteeay

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:55 pm

Well I arrived at the venue just after 8pm, met up with some friends, had a few beers and then just before 9pm we headed upstairs into the main room. Dom and Steve were playing a great selection as always, including plenty of Studio 1(Lone Ranger's "Noah In The Ark" and Dave Barker's "Johnny Dollar" being two of my faves). Country Culture and Raggamonica came on and did their thing first, which went down well with the crowd(I'm sure Raggamonica has been possessed by the spirit of Horace Swaby!)

Dennis came on shortly before 11pm and delivered a great set(despite a couple of times where the backing tracks skipped), going through his classics such as Cassius Clay, Teach The Children, Mava(with Raggamonica doing his top Pablo impression again), Fever Teaser, Mosquito One, DJs Choice, Love I Can Feel Version, Alpha And Omega and many more that I've forgotten due to alcoholic consumption.(Maybe if I hadn't got so pissed I'd have kept a better eye on my jacket eh?)

After the show, my mate Mick(with his missus and daughter) and myself were invited backstage by Dennis after I'd asked him to sign my copy of the "Forever Version" LP. We had a right good natter with Dennis, Steve and Country Culture for around an hour before we all got kicked out as management had to shut the place :D

Dennis cleared up something for me that I'd always wondered, that's a cigar he's lighting up on the back cover of the Forever Version LP and not a spliff :D

All in all, a great night despite having my jacket nabbed. Dennis is one of THE great entertainers of reggae music and always puts on a top show(he even managed to treat the technical hitches with good humour, saying that ganja smoke must have got inside the machine :D (I know that there are other artists out there who would have thrown a tantrum)

As for the patties, I had a saltfish one and a curried lamb one, they were delicious(Island Delight patties for those who know the brand). But now I've ran out of them :cry:

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby dom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:05 pm

have to agree with you gordon, dennis handled the skips well and kept his cool, I agree with you he's probably one of the best reggae entertainers still doing the rounds.

Great night and top venue, shame about the jacket gordon, hope you get another soon and have a good one on wednesday!
dom

Postby crazydownbeat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:10 pm

I met Dennis a couple of years ago at the Essential festival in bristol along with Dave Barker, both were sound chaps and I have a photo of me with the both of them just before they got on stage together, both were superb. As you say his voice hasn't changed at all.
C.D.
Last edited by crazydownbeat on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazydownbeat

Postby Dubguy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:37 am

Sorry to hear about the jacket Gordo, someone haffe get a beatin'! Glad the show was good, at least it wasn't a total wash!

Cheers! (I'm tipping one back now)
It is no mis-tri, we makin' HIStri...
Dubguy

Postby informer » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:40 am

thanks for the report, gordon.

dennis alcapone is one of my alltime jamaican dj favorites.

great timing, great style. an original.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Previous

Return to General discussion