The Psychology of Dancehall Music pt 1 Dancehall Documentary

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Tune In » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAU1PLWum2M
Bless Up Bless Up Bless Up
Tune In

Re: The Psychology of Dancehall Music pt 1 Dancehall Documen

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 am

I found this very interesting and quite contradictory. I guess that for some people dancehall is fun / fantasy which they are able to separate from reality in their minds but for others it adds to the general atmosphere of violence, misogyny and homophobia.
I watched lots of westerns and played cowboys and Indians as a child but I've never felt the need to shoot anyone.
Ranking Glasses

Postby finbar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I found this very interesting and quite contradictory. I guess that for some people dancehall is fun / fantasy which they are able to separate from reality in their minds but for others it adds to the general atmosphere of violence, misogyny and homophobia.
I watched lots of westerns and played cowboys and Indians as a child but I've never felt the need to shoot anyone.

RG, that's because you didn't live in a society with cowboys, Indians, and guns so the demarcation point between fantasy and reality was quite pronounced. In other words, it couldn't easily be mistaken as "day-to-day culture", whereas the dancehall is part of Jamaican society that both reflects, and informs, day-to-day culture, so the line that separates fantasy and reality isn't as easy for many people to discern.

I see culture as being similar to food: generally speaking, what goes in, comes out.
finbar

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:52 pm

I grew up in Peckham. Not quite the Wild West but pretty similar at times!
Ranking Glasses

Postby Mark T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 am

I was always quite scared to go to Peckham... "We're not in Bromley anymore Toto!"
The first part of my life was in Penge though which I suspect is not very different.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 am

There was a lot of deprivation, social housing, drug and alcohol abuse, violence and crime in Peckham. That along with the high proportion of black people made some people wary of going to Peckham. However, there were good things about Peckham such as the sense of community, the caring nature of the people and the rich diversity which are often forgotten.

Back in my day, my parents were worried about us listening to "Rasta music" in case we turned into unsightly ganja smoking layabouts. Today parents in Peckham are worried about their children listening to ragga and rap in case it leads them to violence and crime. Negative music probably influences some people but many of my friends' children who live in Peckham and would have listened to some of this music have gone on to university while others have become involved in violence, drugs and crime. It's obviously a very complex issue and music is just one factor which affects people differently.

Of course areas like Peckham, Brixton, etc., have become gentrified to some extent but that's a whole other story!
Ranking Glasses

Postby Benj65 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:13 am

I used to live in Peckham 1992-93 when I first moved to London - Blenheim Grove, right by Peckham Rye station. I thought it was OK, just a bit of a pain to get to. Too many hours spent waiting at Elephant & Castle for a bus.

I do remember that the North Peckham estates had a ferocious reputation, and I felt uneasy even catching a bus through that area (the P3???). Not quite sure what I was worried about, really.

Anyways nothing terrible happened to me while I was there, it was once I moved to Stockwell that I first became acquainted with the 'Front Line', as it were.
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am

I know Blenheim Grove well. You could have taken a train from E&C to Peckham Rye! I lived in that area from 1968 to 1999 and it was quite different in the 70's & 80's before they started replacing the big scary estates with more pleasant housing.

We've gone a bit off topic.
Ranking Glasses

Postby John Eden » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:37 am

bump
John Eden

Return to General discussion