Complete B&F digital downloads

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Complete B&F digital downloads

Postby buzzlulu » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:45 pm

I am fortunate enough to own a complete set of B&F vinyl.
I may be interested in obtaining a complete set of the digital files - not quite sure if the actual CD's but rather the digital FLAC files.
I remember years ago BOOMKAT was selling the complete set (on an individual cd by cd basis). Is there any online source for the complete set in FLAC?
buzzlulu

Re: Complete B&F digital downloads

Postby buzzlulu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:17 am

Lack of answers leads me to guess that no online store is selling these albums in digital format?
I'm not interested in needle dropping my vinyl collection so I guess I will have to "slum" it by listening to these with my record player!
buzzlulu

Postby kalcidis » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:51 am

Unfortunately I can't help you but since it's the holiday I would give it some more time for an answer. I'm sure someone knows.

What is needle dropping and slumming a collection?
kalcidis

Postby ReggaeFire » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:27 am

I don’t think B&F own the rights to everything in their catalog anymore, so no one is (legally) selling the complete catalog, but Juno has at least some of them still available as Lossless downloads.

https://www.junodownload.com/labels/Blo ... ormat=flac
ReggaeFire

Postby buzzlulu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for the Juno link - not too many for sale.

Even though I only bought vinyl (and as mentioned have the complete set) I did double up and buy ONE CD - my favorite B&F issue - You....Yabby Yabby You.......

I actually also bought TWO vinyl box sets of this as well! (Jesus Dread)
buzzlulu

Postby buzzlulu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:32 pm

kalcidis wrote:Unfortunately I can't help you but since it's the holiday I would give it some more time for an answer. I'm sure someone knows.

What is needle dropping and slumming a collection?

Needle dropping - digitizing a record ie playing it on a turntable and recording the output digitally to a computer

Slumming - tongue in cheek for "making do". In this case it is the vinyl which is better thus the tongue in cheek about slumming it with the lesser quality (but in reality better quality) vinyl
buzzlulu

Postby curryman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:51 am

Do it yourself. I am digitising my reggae vinyl. Every day I do a little more.
You can download a free programme called Audacity, it is open source software.
Then you run a cable from an output on your hi-fi. I have a mixer, so I run it from that, but I guess you could do it from the amp as well.
Run that into the soundcard in your computer and you are away.
You can record, edit, add metadata. Then export the file in whatever format you want. There is a small add on programme called LAME you will need to export as certain formats. I make folders within the My Music folder to store the finished audio file.
Audacity is very easy to use. You just have to be careful that all other audio is switched off as it will record everything that goes through the soundcard, so if you go on to a website that has music or dialogue on it whilst the recording is in session, it will be recorded onto your file.
I also keep a database of what I have recorded, so I don't lose track of what titles I have done.
cheers.
curryman

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 am

Takes forever!
Ranking Glasses

Postby riddleithat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:33 pm

buzzlulu wrote:I am fortunate enough to own a complete set of B&F vinyl.

Does that include the JA press of Prince Alla's 'Love Shall Conquer' ?? Is that the only JA press of a B&F release (legit or not) ?
riddleithat

Postby buzzlulu » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Takes forever!

EXACTLY!
buzzlulu

Postby guillaumebougard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:57 am

buzzlulu wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:Takes forever!

EXACTLY!

Digitizing a vinyl collection takes forever, but it's the way to go, the only one.
I'm in the process of doing just that
I'm a beta tester for a wonderful machine (not trying to advertise it, just saying how I feel about it) called Sugarcube and it's hooked to the stereo and has a USB drive slot so one can capture the audio content. One can remove pops and cracks or not and their algorithms are quite awesome. For extreme cases, I use Izotope or Denoiser.

I run the record through the Sugarcube, then transfer the 192/24 FLAC files from the USB key to my computer, remove the blanks, slice the sides into songs, etc... on Garageband, export to iTunes in lossless AIFF format, and index the resulting files in iTunes, where I convert the AIFF into ALAC for my iphone and FLAC for my other non-Apple devices and archives.

It's a great way to spend time, and far more productive than idling on Facebook! Plus I'm slowly learning new skills for declicking and so forth if I have to use Izotope

For the most cherished items in my collection, I'm going to ask a professional engineer to clean them and restore them for me as they are much better than machines (in a few years, AI will probably take digitizing to a whole new level, but we're not there yet and there is such a small market that it wont attract the huge investments required to make AI better than human professionals)
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I notice that Snapy Snaps offer a service where they copy VHS videos onto DVD. Does anyone offer a similar service for converting vinyl to MP3? Have I stumbled upon a new business opportunity? :wink:
Ranking Glasses

Postby Tune In » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I notice that Snapy Snaps offer a service where they copy VHS videos onto DVD. Does anyone offer a similar service for converting vinyl to MP3? Have I stumbled upon a new business opportunity? :wink:

NO you haven't, there are various company's that offer that service, they also clean them before recording/tranfer
however it's seems very costly to do so between £8-£20 per album and even though there maybe a discount on bulk orders its still s a lot of money
http://www.vinyltodigital.co.uk/audio/vinyl-cd-mp3/
http://www.mediasos.co.uk/vinyl-to-cd
http://www.digitalcopycat.com/vinyl_78_ ... nsfer.html
http://www.mkvinyl2cd.co.uk/prices/
Bless Up Bless Up Bless Up
Tune In

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 am

Many people I speak to just download tunes from YouTube because like me, they found it took too long to convert their own vinyl. Thinking about it,it doesn't really matter if they convert their own vinyl or use someone else's, and there are many more tunes available on YouTube. The only problem is that while it's fine to listen / watch on YouTube, it's illegal to download. However, as my cousin put it, they can't possibly identify and prosecute everyone who downloads from YouTube.
Ranking Glasses

Postby minidub » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm

wouldn't the youtube downloads be really compressed files? i'd rather take the time to digitize my own so they aren't super compressed files.

i'm asking as i don't know for sure...

m.
minidub

Next

Return to General discussion