Samory I vinyl

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Samory I vinyl

Postby buzzlulu » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Been out of the loop for a while. What is the status of Samory I and Kristine Alicia vinyl - any copies to be found and where?
buzzlulu

Re: Samory I vinyl

Postby lankou » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 pm

No K A vinyl album afaik. Recently the Samory I was sold for 75 quids on Discogs. Silly but true.
lankou

Postby buzzlulu » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Wow
Thanks- I guess I'll stick with my CD
buzzlulu

Postby tactix » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 am

Actually it doesn't look like it has ever sold on discogs. There's just one guy trying to get someone to bite for big bucks. Presumably he has an advanced copy. Samory I posted a picture on Facebook of the vinyl about a month ago so it appears to exist, at least as a test press. No store has had it afaik and the artist doesn't seem to be selling it so i just assume the release is still forthcoming .
tactix

Postby buzzlulu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:40 am

I recall reading a quote from Rory Gilligan about it being a limited edition 390 copies.
And another comment from someone complaining about its 50 gbp cost
buzzlulu

Postby BMC » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 am

Yes, that's right, Rory pressed a limited number (290 or 390 copies, not sure) of the record on vinyl, a 2-LP set with dubs. He didn't distribute it to stores, it could only be ordered directly from him through email for the price of 50 pounds (he told me himself when I asked him), which is too much for me, so I didn't get it. The record is sent out there to the buyers, as Rory has been posting pics of happy customers with their record on facebook. No idea if he has copies left, but contacting him is the only way to go.

The limited 45 of Rasta Nuh Gangsta, which was priced at 20 pounds a copy, is doing crazy numbers on discogs already (sold, not just offered for sale). The LP will probably reach similar status soon.

https://www.discogs.com/RoryStoneLove-P ... e/10729088
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: Happiness Station - A 2017 Modern Roots Mix
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby adrians wall » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:14 am

Yeah the LP is 50 UK pounds + Shipping and you can only get direct from Rory which is why is not available to buy anywhere.

Its a shame because he could have sold at least 1000 copies, probably many more, if he made it a sensible price (I would happily buy 2 copies at 20 pounds each). Also the fact that the vinyls are so expensive means they aren't getting the play on Sound System that they diserve

I ended up getting a digital copy and spoke with my dub cutter and I can cut the whole thing to acetate for less than he wants for his official released copy. I'm not going to bother as there is mountains of one away music I would rather invest my money in cutting but once a lathe cut version is cheaper than the release then people will go that way.
adrians wall

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:10 am

Merry Christmas fellow BAFers, I am here to tell you a little story.
A couple of days ago I had a reggae epiphany. Earlier in the evening I had paid £17 in my local pub for a pint of beer for myself and a glass of wine each for two friends. When I got home it put me in mind of this thread. If I am wiling to pay that for three drinks, why would I not pay £50 for something I really want - a double vinyl copy of my favourite album of the year which includes the all important (to me) dub versions of many of the tunes which aren't available elsewhere? It's Christmas after all, I have no children, I've worked hard all year, I deserve a present :D.
So, that night, (the 23rd) I sent an email to Rory saying that I would like a copy and how much would the postage be to London. I then woke before 6, to find that I had an email back from Mr Stone Love (sent at 3.40am UK time) giving me his number and asking me to WhatsApp him in Jamaica and saying that if I wanted to I could pick up a copy of the album from South London. So bleary-eyed at 6am on Christmas Eve and without even making a tea (very unusual for me) I communicated via WhatsApp with Rory and we agreed that he would let me know when his sister was at home so I could go and pick up the LP from her house. I then paid the money to him via Paypal which he acknowledged when he'd received it.
Thirteen hours later, I sent a message to Rory saying that if it wasn't possible to pick up the LP today I would be happy to pay for it to be posted to me. It was now getting close to 7pm and I was aware that the trains stopped early on Christmas Eve. He came back quickly: Don't worry, you can go now, my sister is expecting you. So, being quite an obsessive person, particularly about reggae, I bolted down my dinner and finished my beer and rushed out of my flat in Bethnal Green, East London. Three overground trains and two 15 minute fast-walks later, I was in a quiet suburban South London street, knocking on the door of Rory Stone Love's sister at 8 O clock on Christmas Eve evening. After a quick but courteous handover - I think she was in the middle of Christmas food preperations - I was back on my way clutching the reassuringly heavy-feeling package of double vinyl.
Back home by 9.30, I cracked open a Red Stripe, unpeeled the cellophane and whacked on the first disc of the most expensive LP in my collection (the most I'd previously paid was 30 odd quid for a second hand copy of the Lee Perry 'Open the Gate' compilation). Then I plugged in my headphones and turned it up.
So what did I get for my money? And how it is different to the cd? Well, there is one less vocal track, 'There is a spirit' has been dropped from the vinyl, shorter versions of 'Rasta Nuh Gangsta' (not the epic nine minute mix) and 'Is it because I am Black?' In addition to the twelve remaining vocal tracks, you get eight dub versions - and this is what I really wanted - I'm not a vinyl for vinyl's sake man. On first listen, the dubs sound fantastic - suitably heavy, yet subtle, as befits the superior rhythms. So for me, it's been worth it, in fact in some ways it's made my Christmas, and I can't wait to sit down and enjoy it again today.
Sorry I've gone on a bit. Happy Holidays everyone. Cheers, Reggie.
Last edited by Reggie Love on Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reggie Love

Postby BMC » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:23 am

Haha, nice one, Reggie! Enjoyed reading that! Merry Christmas.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: Happiness Station - A 2017 Modern Roots Mix
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby buzzlulu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Great story
I emailed Rory however did not receive a reply
Which address did u use - I used
Rorystonelove@yahoo.com
buzzlulu

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Yes that’s the one Buzz, though without the capital ‘r’ though that shouldn’t make a difference.
Reggie Love

Postby johnnyB » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Well,let’s hope Rory doesn’t read this thread otherwise next Black Dub lp will cost 100£.
Merry Christmas and thanks for your short story Reggie. Enjoyed it!
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby jps » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Nice story Reggie. Glad you decided to make the purchase with no regrets. I've talked to my wife about things like this many times. How we have no problem going out and dropping $60 on food and beers without thinking twice but I question spending that much on a record that will bring enjoyment for many years.

I have a 2 year old daughter so we have recently set up a set amount a month to aim for when it comes to spending money on records. This definitely helps me decide a little harder on what I want and not just buy stuff at first instinct. But I am starting to appreciate spending more money in individual records I really want rather than getting a deal on a stack of records that I kind of like.
jps

Postby C-H-G » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I love that album but I'm not paying "black mailing" prices for a brand new release that has been artificially made rare. I think tactics like this is ruining the small market there is for Reggae. I will stream Samory I whenever I feel like listening to it.

Iv'e been known to pay $100 for an old, rare original release from the 70ies but I'm not willingly letting myself being ripped of. If I could find the vinyl for like $25 id buy it without thinking twice.
C-H-G

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi Reggie

can you tell us who mixed the album and the dubs???

thanks
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Next

Return to General discussion