No don't legalise it

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: No don't legalise it

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 pm

"What is psychosis?
Psychosis can be a symptom of serious mental illness like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. It can also be related to stress, depression or drugs and alcohol.
In a psychotic episode, a person loses touch with reality as other people see it. They might hear voices, see or feel things that aren't there, feel paranoid or believe things that don't rationally make sense.
Although it can be scary, psychosis is treatable. Some people have one episode of psychosis and never have another one, while others might need ongoing treatment.
The symptoms of psychosis
Other people might notice symptoms before you do, because psychosis can make you feel like things are normal when they're not. Symptoms include:
• hallucinations where you see, feel, smell or hear things that aren't there
• delusions, where you 'just know' things that seem unreal to other people
• feeling that you're being followed or your life is in danger
• muddled thinking and difficulty concentrating
• a feeling that you're being controlled by something outside yourself
• feeling like time speeds up or slows down."

A pretty good summary.
Ranking Glasses

Postby finbar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Glasses, I am sorry to hear about your relative, and I hope that he improves.

There has been quite a bit written about psychosis these days, and it does appear that herb, along with alcohol, and "legal" drugs can trigger psychotic episodes. "Trigger" is the key word here, for to call any of the afore-mentioned things a "cause" is dangerous because it suggests that changing the habits of what you ingest will magically "cure" what is wrong within your brain. People who experience psychotic episodes quite often have a pre-disposition to Alzheimers, Parkinson's Disease, or even brain tumours and cysts. To focus on "it's the herb's fault" may mislead people to think that removing what triggers these episodes to believe that abstinence is a cure, when it no way addresses the underlying causes.

Many on this board who grew up in the "Refer Madness" era, where we were told that "one puff" will turn you into a crazy monster. Knowing this, you can appreciate why some people are skeptical when the boy once again cries "wolf". But because something isn't suitable for one person doesn't mean it should be banned for others. Do you advocate banning alcohol and prescription drugs as well? These can also cause psychotic episodes within someone who is pre-disposed to them.

It should be studied for the many benefits that has brought people for thousands of years, with both its virtues and drawbacks noted so people can make educated life choices. Many believe that it cures glaucoma, so maybe if you decide to lighten up and light up, you'll no longer need your glasses, and you'll simply be "Ranking"!

Cheers, and Merry Christmas.
finbar

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Finbar, you make some good points especially about weed / skunk and other substances being potential triggers. I'm obviously not on expert on narcotics or mental health so I am grateful for yours and other peoples' inout, even JB's

If you read what I actually wrote, I said that people should be given all the information so that they can make an informed choice which is not disimilar to what you say. I also mentioned cannabis providing a financial lifeline to many people in JA including my own family members. I didn't mention the health benefits of ganja but we were given it to drink as children when we had a chesty cough.

Nowhere did I say it should be banned. I'm not sure why in that case you're making personal comments about me?
As for lightening-up, it's pretty hard to do so when my 19 year old cousin has been sectioned and will spend Christmas in a mental health institution instead of at home with his family.
Ranking Glasses

Postby finbar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Nowhere did I say it should be banned. I'm not sure why in that case you're making personal comments about me?

RG, I assumed your stance on legalization was that you were against it because you started a thread entitled "No, don't legalize it". And having never met you, I have no comment to make about you except that I enjoy your posts. I hope that your cousin improves over time.
finbar

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Was just a play on the famous Peter Tosh song but point taken. Thanks man. Hope you have a good Christmas.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Ras Berry » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 pm

jb welda wrote:thank you ras berry.

ps: got that new dub syndicate set of unreleased recordings the other day, another top set.

one love
jb

It's in my ever-growing "to listen to" pile... one day

8)
Ras Berry

Previous

Return to General discussion