When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Postby Living Bate » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 am

RG I don't disagree with anything you said

but Sizzla's early works were mostly thought provoking and sung with a beautiful voice/range

Then something happened and his voice became raspy and he lost his compassion . . His topics became hate and not love

Like Dubba says his last good tune was Chant Them Down and I loved that tune but still the topic is still downpressing and not uplifting

Something happened . . . An experience or drugs or both
Living Bate

Postby slengteng » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:57 am

Living Bate wrote:Whilst on the subject I have to say that I found Thank You Mama to be one of the moving pieces of any music of any genre

On the same album Da Real Thing, my fav was "Just One Of Those Days" aka "Dry Cry", a masterpiece on a powerful Queen Majesty cut. Also "It's Amazing" was nice !
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 am

Or it could just be a bout of self indulgence.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Living Bate » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Could be self indulgence, but why switch from 'Do Some Good' to 'Nah Apologise'. . Seemed to me like he was influenced by hip hop or slack dancehall or something and made a decision to change

Sleng 'Just One Of Those Days' I agree was such a tune . . I remember couple years after I had that 45 my pals were talking about a tune called 'Dry Cry' . . . I was excited to hear to hear it :roll:

If Sizzla's had stayed on track I really think he couldve gone on to be the next 'insert name' but he went wild and made utter rubbish in abundance
Living Bate

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:14 pm

With Capleton, Anthony B, Junior Kelly, etc., maybe he was just trying to be different?
There are so many of them now, it's become a very crowded marketplace.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:05 pm

I think split personality is a good way to put it, particularly in terms of lyrical content. It seems to me that around 2001 he wanted to demonstrate his versatility by showing what he could do over hard dancehall riddims and this led to a more aggressive vocal style and sometimes slack/nasty lyrics. The first track I can remember him doing in the barking/raspy style was 'Karate' on the Martial Arts riddim which I thought was a really tuff tune. But then he seemed to jump on every riddim going and was bringing out several singles a month as well as 3 or 4 albums a year and quality was bound to be extremely variable.
I bought one called Scream Girl Child in 2002 without hearing it because I liked other songs on the riddim and that's the first time I can recall Sizzla sounding really off key and pretty unpleasant lyrically. From Black Woman and Child to Scream Girl Child in five years. Around this time I remember an interview with Bobby Digital in Echoes magazine while he was working on the Da Real Thing where he said diplomatically that he wanted to steer Sizzla back towards more 'memorable' material and what a job he did on that album.
I think we'd probably all agree that he never reached the heights of Da Real Thing again but there are still some good albums- even fairly recently, The scriptures for John John for example and The Messiah.
Reggie Love

Postby marko » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 pm

ZionRootical wrote:"From Long Time" is a killer, classic riddim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNZnXLLscw

Riddim Carlron Livingston tales of two cities
Also Johnny lover Dj cut, tough original channel one

Back to sizzla, I have on 2 different 7's brought when came out, one on red the other black vinyl

Couple years ago I brought a collection and owner told me that there is another mix on 7 (he claims tougher) I kinda compared both his copies to my two I couldn't heat the difference, maybe it was just the version sides that were different don't think I played them. He side the label design were different, logos were switched.

Anyone else can confirm

I have the red Kariang issue and when I just checked it, it has Collector's Edition printed round the edge of label which I nevery noticed before. The quality of the press is exceptional, specially for red vinyl, wondering if these may have been pressed in Japan ('Busta Stamper' on the matrix), if so, a next mix could be possible.

While on the topic of vintage Sizzla, Get We Out for Kariang on Give Me The Right riddim came out two years later and is also top tune along with Doniki's Ready and Come vocal piece.
marko

Postby adrians wall » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 am

No one rates Born a King? I thought it was his best album in years. I've been using I'm Living (acoustic version) for vocal tuning PA's & stereos since I got my hands on it. Cracking production with well delivered conscious lyrics and a recent release as well given it only came out in 2014.

https://mistasavona.bandcamp.com/album/ ... orn-a-king
adrians wall

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi Adrian,

I'd forgotten about 'Born a King' so I gave it another listen today. I remember when it came out it was hyped as Sizzla's best album in years but I don't agree now and didn't then. It should work - well produced, some nice rhythms, conscious lyrics, Sizzla sounds focused and energetic, but most of the set left me cold I'm afraid. Too much rasping and barking and cracked falsetto too high in the mix. I won't be bothering with it again for a while. I guess when the singer's voice sounds damaged there's not much you can do - except bury it further in the mix - but what do I know, I'm not a producer.
I'm Living is a good tune though.
Reggie Love

Postby John Eden » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:26 pm

slengteng wrote:
John Eden wrote:Also Royal Son of Ethiopia one time, before taking it to the charity shop.

Bought this one about 4 years ago and fell in love with "What Does It Worth?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTuErLzxwFo

That is actually a great track, so thank you!

I think his vocals are ok on the rest of the album but I found the production a bit too bashy for them.
John Eden

Postby Reggie Love » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 am

Adrian, have you heard 'The Scriptures' album produced by John John (2011)? Do you rate it?
For me, it's much more enjoyable than Born a King - more soul, subtlety, range, and melody and better singing, lyrics and riddims. IMHO
Reggie Love

Postby jah_vaults » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:59 am

all the exterminator label especially the early albums are some of his best works
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby lankou » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am

jah_vaults wrote:all the exterminator label especially the early albums are some of his best works

Couldn't agree more, there even some underated gems on some quirky riddis designed by Sly on his later XTM releases. Took me ages to admit it!
On the other hand, never beento keen on his Digital B stuff, despite liking Bobby D 's productions a lot.
lankou

Postby slengteng » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:51 pm

lankou wrote:
jah_vaults wrote:all the exterminator label especially the early albums are some of his best works

Couldn't agree more, there even some underated gems on some quirky riddis designed by Sly on his later XTM releases. Took me ages to admit it!
On the other hand, never beento keen on his Digital B stuff, despite liking Bobby D 's productions a lot.

A classic Digital B production, Give Them The Ride :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_U5QiqlUc
Last edited by slengteng on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:07 pm

The best Sizzla tunes are on 7"s.
Dread Archive

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion