When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am

Yes Zionrootical, ‘Good Ways’ is another great set (and song) - it also came as part of a 4cd set on Jet Star and is the best of the bunch. Would love to have been at the Brixton Academy show- I guess that was the same tour- supporting Luciano- around 97 when he played in Birmingham - a show which was released as part of a 2cd set. I did see him live once - at Hackney Ocean in 2001- was great, but no horns and a few mediocre shouty numbers I hadn’t heard before. As far as I know he’s only toured once in the Uk since then - and that was many years ago now.

Slengteng, agreed about From Long Time, a big tune - now I've listened to it properly!
Reggie Love

Postby John Eden » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:39 pm

I've listened to these quite a few times over the last year:

Reggae Max (probably within the last month)
Praise Ye Jah
Black Woman and Child
Kalonji

Also Royal Son of Ethiopia one time, before taking it to the charity shop.
John Eden

Postby Living Bate » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:14 pm

John Eden wrote:
Also Royal Son of Ethiopia one time, before taking it to the charity shop.

I should've done that with Rastafari Teach I Everything

although i guess the title track wasn't that bad...
Living Bate

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Three classics there, John. Don't think I know the 'Kalonji' set. I used to like Royal Son of the Ethiopia though haven't played it for at least 5 years - will give it a reappraisal as part of my attempted cull.
I am surprised I haven't seen much Sizzla in charity shops considering that he's made about 50 albums and a 'few' of them aren't great

edit- I have ‘Kalongi’ on the Jet star 4 cd box set mentioned earlier.

No mention of the two sets for Don Corleone yet - used to like both of them too but not played them for a while - some quite adventerous/eccentric stuff on there.

LB, I feel the same about 'Rastafari Teach I Everything' - I bought it when it was released and thought - apart from the title track - that it was dreadful (in a bad way :) -can't see that one surviving the cull.
Last edited by Reggie Love on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reggie Love

Postby minidub » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:44 pm

the last LP/CDof sizzla's that i really found enjoyable at a full listen was his "da real thing" from vp - 15 years ago. :shock:
i have a few more recent ones but don't care for them at all.

always liked sizzla and Anthony b comp on star trail '2 hard' I think

me as well. "food of thought" is a massive tune from sizzla on that one; starts the album off proper!

m.
minidub

Postby lankou » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Very recently, indeed. Got fed up with him even before Royal Son... was released. He was the big hype then but i had already gathered some 100 7"s by him since '94. ACtually, i recently found 6 sealed CD's tucked away in my attic, and finally bothered to give them a listen. Discovered some fine XTM cuts of riddims i knew from other artists but mixed differently (Sly, of course!) and some hi hop-ish tunes i found original. Even put some on my ipod.
To this day, i still enjoy Burning UP and Praise Ye the most. Black woman is not bad but it's just that on several of the riddims used by Bobby Digital, i enjoyed other cuts by other artists more. Though i don't like his posture much, stll think he is one of the last true original talents emerging from JA. Luckily, the new batch of 2010's talents is much more interesting than those from the 2000's (Sizzla being 90's, of course!).
lankou

Postby slengteng » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 pm

John Eden wrote:Also Royal Son of Ethiopia one time, before taking it to the charity shop.

Bought this one about 4 years ago and fell in love with "What Does It Worth?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTuErLzxwFo
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby michael » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Ripe Leaf. Eastern Mountain. !
michael

Postby flashman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:17 am

michael wrote:Ripe Leaf. Eastern Mountain. !

I thought the exact same thing when Royal Son of Ethiopia was mentioned!
2 of my favorite Sizzla tunes right there.
flashman

Postby jb welda » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 am

is this Reggae Max cd the same as the more current (I assume) Reggae Max Part 1 (along with a Part 2 separately available)? The part 1 cover shows similar songs, but Black Woman and Child is at the top instead of No Other But Jah as shown on the image posted above. I cannot seem to find track lists for these two. Is the second a straight reissue of the first (presumably after they decided to put out a Part 2)?

Don't have anything by this guy other than some tracks scattered around, everyone saying this jet star set is great has got me interested.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Chaz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:28 am

jb welda wrote:is this Reggae Max cd the same as the more current (I assume) Reggae Max Part 1 (along with a Part 2 separately available)? The part 1 cover shows similar songs, but Black Woman and Child is at the top instead of No Other But Jah as shown on the image posted above. I cannot seem to find track lists for these two. Is the second a straight reissue of the first (presumably after they decided to put out a Part 2)?

Don't have anything by this guy other than some tracks scattered around, everyone saying this jet star set is great has got me interested.

one love
jb

Looks like a straight re-issue but with the first track changed as you indicate.

First issue:
https://www.discogs.com/Sizzla-Reggae-M ... ase/917193

New version:
http://www.dubvendor.co.uk/sizzla---jet ... 0720-p.asp
Chaz

Postby BMC » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 am

Sizzla Kalonji & Bredren - The Early Years In Roots - 1995 - 2002 - Part 1 (mix by BMC):

https://www.mixcloud.com/BMCsReggaeMixe ... ix-by-bmc/

Sizzla Kalonji & Bredren - The Early Years In Roots - 1995 - 2002 - Part 2 (mix by BMC):

https://www.mixcloud.com/BMCsReggaeMixe ... ix-by-bmc/

Tracklists: http://bettermustcome.blogspot.nl/2013/ ... in_13.html
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby Dubba » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:36 pm

For me the definitive Sizzla Compilation is The Story Unfolds issued on VP around 2002 I think, all killer and no filler. Contains virtually all of his groundbreaking xterminator stuff. I remember when he first burst on to the scene, his first couple of albums with Fatis and Bobby Digital are electrifying and in my opinion certified classics. As with numerous JA artists over the years he became a victim of his own success through chronic over recording and quality control went out of the window. Last really classic Sizzla tune I heard was “chant dem down” on his own Kalonji label released circa 2006.

Getting back to the original post, I listen to the story unfolds quite regularly to be honest. :)
Dubba

Postby Living Bate » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:45 am

Whilst on the subject I have to say that I found Thank You Mama to be one of the moving pieces of any music of any genre

For those that might not be familiar

https://youtu.be/QJjwiS5XIsU

I truly believe Sizzla is / was something of a musical genius

Just a shame he seemed to have such a split personality
Living Bate

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 am

Sizzla is very talented and highly intelligent but 3 things put me off him:
1. His songs / lyrics can sometimes be all over the place and his voice can be too gruff.
2. I've seen live performances on YouTube where his lyrics have been slack to the extreme. Not much respect for women there!
3. Homophobia which emboldens people in JA to attack others.

No doubt that he's good when he hits the right spot but I personally prefer Anthony B.
Ranking Glasses

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion