When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:12 pm

For me it had been a while, but I am slowly working through a big pile of cds to see whether I want to keep the physical copy because I want to clear some space on the shelves and I have half a shelf of Sizzla!. First up was a double disc set 'Sizzla and Bredren' from 2000 - the first disc being all Sizzla and then a second disc featuring various artists including Garnet Silk, President Brown (great cut here - Microchip), Luciano, Sizzla himself and others.

So after playing the first cd which is Sizzla by numbers - none of which hit the spot, I remembered why I got frustrated and a little bored with him. The album was then halfway to be being discarded, so I played the second disc needing to be impressed. Luckily most of it still sounds very good. One of the highlights is the sole Sizzla track on this disc - Ghetto Youths dem a Suffer (listed on the cd just as Ghetto youth - which is a little confusing when wanting to link it because he's probably got an album full of different songs with that title).

Anyway, I heard that and halfway through the tune I was suddenly running to the stereo to give it a rewind or two and I remembered why he inspired me to buy so many of his cds in the first place. After years of barely listening to him, I can feel a Sizzla binge coming on.

https://www.discogs.com/Sizzla-And-Bred ... se/3742849

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyvO587Jv0
Reggie Love

Re: When was the last time you listened to a Sizzla album?

Postby Living Bate » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:22 pm

its been a while for me.....i suffered from massive Sizzla burn out....

Lots of his early music really takes me back to a certain time in my life....particularly Praise Ye Jah and Black Woman & Child which were classics in my eyes...

but the greatest collection of his work on a single CD will always be this for me

Living Bate

Postby kalcidis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I listened to his Black Woman & Child set like half a year ago. Very nice set. But never been a big Sizzla-fan. Got a few albums and will probably get rid of them all at some point.
kalcidis

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Yes LB, what a set, and those albums really take me back to a particular time too. Just the thought of No white God has given me the shivers. My cd is well worn. Will give it a spin ASAP.
Reggie Love

Postby minidub » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:50 pm

don't listen to his full length works much anymore, but yes, that reggae max CD is all killer no filler.
we actually have two copies of this at home and they have just slightly different cuts on them, like just one or two different per CD.
can't find one of them to compare, but i know track 1 on one is "black woman & child", and track 1 on the other is "no other like jah".
i think there might be one other swapped cut...not sure.

m.
minidub

Postby slengteng » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Reggie Love wrote:So after playing the first cd which is Sizzla by numbers - none of which hit the spot, I remembered why I got frustrated and a little bored with him.

"From Long Time" is a killer, classic riddim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNZnXLLscw
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby dj745 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Outside of his early albums for Fatis ( Burning up and Praise Ye Jah) and the two Bobby Digital albums - Black woman and child and Da real thing I struggle to listen to a full album, having said that there are some awesome singles many of which I am unsure if they made it onto an album- one that comes to mind is a song called Real on baba boom which sounds like it is lifted from a sound tape or recorded live one take which I have on a boot 7", also a lot of singles on Digital B, Star Trail,etc
dj745

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Fair enough, Sleng teng, I was working at the time so not giving it my full attention. Will play from long time again.
Reggie Love

Postby minidub » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:07 pm

have "from long time" on 7" and pull it occasionally; just a wicked track and heavy hitting rhythm.
seems the 7" sounds a bit harder than that LP/CD track. sometimes i play the version side because it's so hard!

m.
minidub

Postby kalcidis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Yeah, tough tune. There were a slew of wicked next cuts to the rhythm from the label. Mikey Chung wasn't joking with the Kariang label. So many wicked tunes on it.
kalcidis

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Never.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Never.

:D :lol:
capullo

Postby Don Julian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 am

I have never listened to a proper Sizzla album in its entirety.
The only one i own Is the Reggae Max comp and even that one i can't listen to completely in one take.
Haven't listened to him in more than a decade even! :P

That said I used to have a cdr that a Reggae shop owner in my town compiled himself from 7" 45s.
This was around 1998. Half the tracks were by Sizzla and the other half Anthony B.
That was the HARDEST set of tunes I ever heard of those guys. All Killer tracks!!!!

Sadly that disc was nicked and I didn't even have the tracklist anymore to hunt for them.

Man i sure would love to hear those songs again
sigh...

Peace,
dj
Don Julian

Postby Living Bate » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:26 am

this thread has made me consider a little re-visit.....

Anthony B - Universal Struggle included in that....

this tune though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Z7dlWASIA
Living Bate

Postby ZionRootical » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:16 am

[/quote]"From Long Time" is a killer, classic riddim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNZnXLLscw[/quote]

Riddim Carlron Livingston tales of two cities
Also Johnny lover Dj cut, tough original channel one

Back to sizzla, I have on 2 different 7's brought when came out, one on red the other black vinyl

Couple years ago I brought a collection and owner told me that there is another mix on 7 (he claims tougher) I kinda compared both his copies to my two I couldn't heat the difference, maybe it was just the version sides that were different don't think I played them. He side the label design were different, logos were switched.

Anyone else can confirm

Massive sizzla fan back in day, all started with Dis Gangster,
always liked sizzla and Anthony b comp on star trail '2 hard' I think

His first concert at Brixton academy was his finest, full of energy, youthful in his voice sizzla at his best

His album with jamstyle that came out around 2010 had some of his early tunes some weren't released on 7, also the recent from vp radical fatties riddim with alt. Vocals.
I always like Goodways album. Used to play on mini disc all time while working delivery as a postman get me in the mood at 7am
ZionRootical

Next

Return to General discussion