The Twinkle Brothers and the Poland link

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The Twinkle Brothers and the Poland link

Postby capullo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 pm

does anybody know how this collaboration started? Twinkle Brothers and Poland are somehow connected and I've been wondering for years what the story behind is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkmxwDzFYw
capullo

Re: The Twinkle Brothers and the Poland link

Postby jb welda » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 pm

I seem to recall they performed there somewhere and became acquainted with someone there who further invited them to more performing and recording with his outfit. To me it was kind of disappointing, I want to hear the Twinkle Brothers play twinkle reggae music, playing traditional sort of Polish music didn't do much for me. Evidently I was pretty much alone in that sentiment.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby aksumite » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 pm

This connection goes way back, as the early 80's when Misty In Roots and Twinkle Brothers were first reggae bands performing behind Iron Curtain - if memory serves me right it was Misty playing tour in Poland in 1983. Mind you, those days it was a time of oppression and struggle against the system and messages of roots reggae corresponded with daily strive of people in Eastern Europe. Then came the connection with Wlodek Kleszcz, who was radio and cultural promoter of underground music and he linked up Twinkle with Trebunie Tutki band , which is music family of Polish Highlanders, who (Polish Highlanders) over the centuries were always kind of outlaws and rebels. Highlanders music is also quite different from the rest of traditional folk music of Poland. To me the album "Higher Heights - Twinkle Inna Polish Stylee" is very fruitful collaboration between two different yet like-minded musical traditions. Twinkle Brothers have strong fanbase in Poland and play some big festivals like Woodstock, where spectators reach numbers of 500 thousand people.
I mean, show me reggae band these days that play in front of half a million of people...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCMfv6QXmwg
aksumite

Postby capullo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:05 pm

thanks for the info!
capullo

Postby brigadierjc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks Aksumite, might explain this Polish press of "Poor and needy" too:
https://www.discogs.com/Misty-In-Roots- ... se/3260292
brigadierjc

Return to General discussion