Disco tips

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Disco tips

Postby johnnyB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm

I recently found myself enjoying some disco stuff while watching Baz Luhrmann’s crucial “The Get Down”. Given that the only disco record in my collection is the “Saturday Night Fever” soundtrack forgotten in my car by god knows who I’d like to get some recommendation about good early disco collections or albums. Thanks in advance.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Re: Disco tips

Postby Ital Dokta » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:08 am

Check out the Donna Summer albums with Giorgio Moroder, also check the mixing engineer, anything crediting Tom Moulton is a safe bet...also much late 70's soul like the Philadelphia International productions was very disco oriented...
Ital Dokta

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 am

I can't stand disco music so my tip would be to listen to some funk instead which has real attitude. James Brown's Funky People with Lynn Collins, Fred Wesley, the JBs and Maceo & the Macks is a great place to start. 100% better than that wishy-washy disco stuff!
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 am

Grace Jones had some great stuff backed by sly and Robbie

The Sugarhill Gang largely morphed into Tackhead and other Adrian Sherwood outfits I think.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:38 am

great disco tune from jamaica by tappa zukie - freak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rIw3KlSXSc
capullo

Re: Disco Sucks Not

Postby Benj65 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 pm

I am no connoisseur but these 2 compilations are very good, maybe only of the more commercial side of disco, but include plenty of tracks most people like and also enjoy excellent sound quality.

Note they are CDs:

1. The Disco Years Vol 2: On The Beat 1978-1982 (obviously there is a Vol 1 which I do not have) - Rhino R2 70985 [1990] - I think this was on vinyl too

and a much more recent 3 x CD only compilation available for peanuts in the UK (well £5) which is chock full of tunes:

2. Top of the Pops: DISCO - UMC 5377723 [2017]

I get that some people don't like this sort of music, I followed the sniffy crowd at the time and 'despised' it esp. vis a vis punk, 'New Wave' & post-punk, but more recently, I have come to appreciate the sheer joy of dancing to upbeat tunes in a carefree and joyous way.

Why not?

PS it may go without saying but Chic are my gold standard when it comes to disco, the mixture of high quality musicianship and thoughtful lyrics allied to superb production plus a beat... magic! Good Times!
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Re: Rhino The Disco Years Series

Postby Benj65 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Turns out there are 7 volumes of The Disco Years on Rhino, all on CD and some on vinyl:

https://www.discogs.com/label/791324-The-Disco-Years

V cheap if you are in the US, not so much if not. You can't really go wrong with any of them, IMHO, judging by the track lists.
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Postby johnnyB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks to you all. I’ve had several funk/soul “periods” along the years but never went beyond to get to disco which always represented what other musical genres were against (punk,metal,rock in general but also reggae and hip hop). Now I feel like I’m free to like what I like and if there’s some good music in there I’m ready to explore it.
I have that “Freak” 12” on Stars and I’ll try to get some more jamaican-disco hybrid.
I can see that what many enthusiasts complain about disco compilations is that tracks are often edited. Meaning? Are those tunes 12” singles cut to 3 min. bits? If that’s the case we should start a reggae-disco movement for the sacredness of 12” purity!
johnnyB

Postby capullo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm

what other musical genres were against (punk,metal,rock in general but also reggae and hip hop

this is not really the case for hip hop. disco has always played a big role when hip hop first emerged out of the ghettos. there is a very interesting documentary about those founding fathers in hip hop not so well known as grandmaster flash, afrika bambaataa, kool herc etc.

narreted by Chuck D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G13bR0B0-8
capullo

Postby jb welda » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

The Message was one of my favorites in that disco era. To me, the beginning of hip hop if not (c)rap.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby yms » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Disco Juice vols 1 & 2 on counterpoint records.

Brand New Wayo - Nigerian Disco compilation

https://youtu.be/D2laU08Ca5U

Worth checking out Nigerian music. Some superb disco sides.
yms

Postby Mark T » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Not all punk was anti-disco, John Lydon, as an example, went on to use disco beats in PIL and professed a liking for the genre.
Blondie's Heart of Glass would be another example and I'm sure there are many more in the Post punk era. Joy Division became New Order which was obviously dance oriented if not outright disco.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby johnnyB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 pm

What I know is that in the 90’s if you wanted to be “interesting” you HAD to hate disco.
johnnyB

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Ranking Glasses

Next

Return to General discussion