Stong Like Samson (Linval Thompson In Dub)Sam

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby BMC » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:27 am

Linval's cut of Danger In Your Eyes appears on his Follow My Heart (Burning Rockers) album.
BMC

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:28 am

First track on "Follow My Heart" (Burning Sounds LP).
skunkride

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:29 am

Burning Rockers it is :)
skunkride

Postby wareika » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:34 am

Thanx guys. If memeroy serves Makasound planed to reissue this set, but nothing appeared so far.

wareika
wareika

Postby ephteeay » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:35 am

www.selectors-choice.de i think had it (7" repress on thompson sound)
if they do.. theyll have a sample too!
ephteeay

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:47 am

Maksound reissued Rocking Vibration which is a different set from the same time period.

I always get confused between those 3 LT albums (Rocking Vibration/Follow My Heart/Love Is The Question). Oh, & there is also the "I Love Jah" set...

To add to the confusion "Follow My Heart" was released on Micron as "Stay A Little Bit Longer" & "Love Is..." was reissued on Abrahams as "Linval" !
skunkride

Postby Moses » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:27 am

Danger in your eyes & and a few of the abovenamed tracks are on the latest Trojan LT compendium...which shares quite a few B&F tracks too.
Moses

Postby Ekki » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:42 pm

Ekki

Postby mghifi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:48 pm

On the topic of sound quality. I agree about "I Love Jah" . The vocals are very poorly recorded and as a result I find i don't listen to it very much. I have never heard the Mysitc Eye's lp but I can include the Bunny Red lp "Red" in the sound complaints department. It suffers from what sounds like a painfully bad mastering job. All of the mids (low and high) are over accentuated to the point of which it actually hurts to listen to after a few tracks. It's a shame too as it is all killer Linval rhythms from the late 70's.
mghifi

Postby wareika » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:04 pm

Lot's of good infos on Thompson's material. Always a pleasure to discuss and discover these details.

I remenber that I found the "I Love Marijuana" LP quite poor regarding the sound quality. I have to listen to it to be certain tho'

wareika
wareika

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:02 pm

yes juha i agree on the sound of the mystic i's album, and not only does the linval album you mention (i love jah i believe it is) sound crap too, but so do the albums by other artists that use the same riddims...i think al campbell is one. speaking of which, i was just listening to the auralux (i think it is) release roots of dancehall. killer album full of killer tunes, but the al campbell offering on it (on the same riddim as his "diamonds" i think) sounds just this way too...like its mastered poorly and/or recorded with a broken microphone. i think linval told me once that the tapes were defective but he didnt figure that out until the session was over and it was too late to do anything about it, and that that is indeed why most of his stuff on burning sounds never got reissued. on the other hand, that never seemed to stop him on some of his thompson sounds releases, though i hear they have improved recently.

still, i would love to have that mystic eyes album. even the greensleeves 12" of judgement time sounds sketchy, but not as bad as the linval etc outing on burning sounds/rockers/vibrations.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby bridgeman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:11 pm

I think the Al Campbell LP "Diamonds", which uses the same Linval riddims, sounds decent. I don't recall that it suffers from the same poor mastering... but maybe I need another listen.
bridgeman

Postby greedypuppy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:30 pm

A few of those tracks from Outlaw dub were used on the Trinity release that came out on Trojan-Rock in the Ghetto. I think it is one of the man's best efforts especially Pope Paul Dead and Gone.
greedypuppy

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:23 pm

yes when i thought about it it seemed to me that "diamonds" sounded ok too so maybe it was just the linval album that was defective...maybe im confusing what he told me about the mystic eyes with that series that included diamonds, and it was just linvals record that suffered, possibly as juha (?) says from a faulty microphone.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Previous

Return to General discussion