Closed my EB account after 20+ years

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Closed my EB account after 20+ years

Postby j j » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 am

After 20+ years of ordering from Ernie B's I have decided to close my wholesale account.
The reason being is that if I buy using my wholesale account I will no longer be able to get a refund on faulty goods.
I hadn't realised this was the case until I recently received an order which contained original press vinyl, all of which was graded 'N-' which denotes a new or nearly new vinyl condition.

On receiving this order I found that 1 of the 12" records had a large visible scratch across the majority of the 'A' side. When playing this record you get a large sounding scratch through most of the vocal.

I offered to return this damaged record for a refund as usual but Ernie said no don't bother (as usual) & offered a refund (which I did receive).

Later Ernie informed me that he shouldn't be giving me a refund as the wholesale music business does not give refunds on faulty goods, not to his retail sellers who buy stock from him at wholesale prices, & also that when Ernie buys wholesale he isn't eligible for refunds on any items that are faulty.

This was news to me as previously it stated on the EB website that he did offer refunds on faulty products & I there was no mention of this not covering wholesale sales. (I had a quick look at his website & couldn't see this refund statement there anymore).

Over the decades I have spent thousands & thousands of dollars with EB's & to have this policy change over a US$14.00 refund seems a little over the top. I have always offered to return faulty items to him as proof that they are actually damaged or faulty & he has always declined my offer (I would pay the return postage also)

With the huge rise in US postal charges (which is no fault of EB's) it has become impossible to buy from him at retail prices (although this would mean I would be eligible for a wider returns/refund policy) so it is with a sad heart that my custom with EB's has come to an end.

So disappointed, but I guess the silver lining is with the Brexit the exchange rate for the GBP has lowered quite a bit for me, so hopefully I can source what I would have bought from EB's from UK companies now.

This is not a criticism of EB's btw, he's gotta do what he's gotta do to stay afloat I guess, but thought other customers with wholesale accounts should be made aware of this no refund policy as I don't feel it has been made very clear on the EB website.

Disappointed (as usual I hear some of you say)

cheers
j j
j j

Re: Closed my EB account after 20+ years

Postby jps » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:08 am

Sorry to hear that JJ. I've been ordering from Ernie for a long time now as well. Used to combine orders with my friends back in the day when we would get the big mail order catalog. Have only had to request a refund a few times, and as you, have always offered to send the faulty record back as well. Even as a consumer I always feel bad complaining.

I've never had an issue getting refunded and they always say don't worry about sending back the bad record.

I've always found it interesting that you can get great discounts as a wholesale buyer even though you weren't buying in bulk, but have never complained as it saved me money.

What I find strange is that they mentioned they shouldn't give you a refund on a original press/used record. I've never noticed the prices changing when I log in as a wholesale buyer for the original press records.
jps

Postby minidub » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:11 am

but jj, do you really get that many defective products from him to warrant this?

i too have been buying from him forever. in all this time i have probably received three (certainly no more than five) faulty products and he did as you say, let me keep the product while receiving a refund.

i do agree that the record grades on used vinyl can be a bit liberal.

m.
minidub

Postby j j » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:11 am

Hi minidub,

Re: Faulty/damaged items -It hasn't happened very often considering how much music I've received from him over the years, but I'm one of those nutters who still resents paying for something that is being sold as a new/undamaged item or graded as 'new or near new' when in fact it is damaged or faulty.
This isn't confined to EB's but to every place I spend money on something.
It's a basic consumer right in this country.

I compare it thusly, you've just bought a brand new car, you've done the paper work , handed over your money...the salesman brings your brand new automobile round to the reception area for you to drive away. As you walk towards your new car you notice a huge scratch across most of the drivers side of the car & there are 50,000km/miles on the speedo!
Do you accept that is how a new car comes or do you say "whoa there hoss - this isn't what I paid for , what's going on!"
The Salesman says '' well I gave you a good deal on this car, so you just say thank you & mosey along now"....."Oh & you have a nice day " :lol:

Or if you don't drive...

You buy a slightly used computer, (maybe it was even on sale & a reasonable price) the price tag say's it works like a new one, only to find when you get it home the keyboard is missing several buttons.
Would you accept this or would you want a replacement or a refund?

Basically what I'm saying is I refuse to pay for stuff that is damaged/faulty when it's sold as new or in perfect working order.

Lets look at it from a different angle perhaps, rather than asking how many faulty items I've received , lets ask how much money I have spent with a company.
Why would a company quibble over a $15.00 refund when they have received thousands & thousands of dollars from me (& that's an honest estimate of what I've spent over the years too)
Two sides to every story & all that I guess

cheers
j j
j j

Postby jb welda » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Why don't you forgo the wholesale account and get a regular one? Then as I understand it he would refund your money anytime you think there is a problem. As it is, he has a point: as a wholesale buyer you take the good (discount) with the bad (potentially but rarely a defective product). Seems like you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

That said, in my personal opinion, there is very much less of interest @ eb these days than in the past. I have not even ordered anything in a few months now and I kind of am not sure if I will be again. Though he does have some interesting non-reggae items, I am skeptical of the sound quality of most of them (bootlegs aka ROIOs in prior times).

BTW if you want to pay eb (wholesale) prices for used original press records, you should contact me and look over an extensive list of 7s, 10s and 12s. However I have a no returns policy.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby minidub » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:33 pm

well jj, i do understand what you're saying. as i customer that has been buying since the very beginning, i have been afforded -- and now admittedly would almost expect (right or wrong) -- customer service above and beyond what the average customer should expect. not sure if that's smart in business, but i know how you feel.

however, i have to say that if i purchased a "brand new car" and it turned out to have a major scratch and some minor miles on it, i'd be stoked if they refunded me what i'd paid for the car and let me keep it for free. seriously!

perspective...these are not cars or expensive computers, but single records. but again, i feel what you are saying.

and much like JB says, i sense that my future money & time are limited with ernie b. i can't stand perusing his site now that it isn't strictly reggae business and spend VERY little time (compared to days of old) shopping his site. i keep visiting because i purchase a minimum of 5 records a month for my employers--and do it through ernie...

m.
minidub

Postby minidub » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:12 am

jj, i'm sure i am being a bit too glib about this because i am unaffected. i think we are a lot alike!

if it was a car purchase with damage equal to a large scratch through a vinyl record, well then... :cry:

m.
minidub

Postby j j » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:38 am

Minidub I get your point, but :D I paid for a new/near new record, I got a scratched record, I offered to send it back, if you want to pay postage I will mail the record to you, no charge, then you can have the scratched record.

I don't order records that are scratched
I never have, not on EBay, not on any other websites or shops.
I pass on repress records that are pressed with scratches transferred from the original copy that the repress has been copied off :D
I don't pay for records that are scratched when they are advertised as New/Near New.
I don't want to collect or own scratched records at all.

With the car thing, I wasn't trying to do a monetary comparison just trying to show that the situation is the same whether it's $1.00 or $1000000.00.
Maybe use the 'slightly used computer' example or substitute the two items for any item you feel could work in with my point. :)

Also mini I think you can choose by genres on the EB site to see what new reggae has arrived.
I do enjoy our chats minidub & we do like the same music :mrgreen:

cheers
j j
j j

Postby j j » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:45 am

JB I just simply can't afford Ernies retail prices, wish I could but.....

I was not aware that when buying wholesale you no longer qualify for refunds , thanks for the knowledge JB .

I have seen your great record sale list & bought a few records of you, (one was Outernational Dub which I cherish :D ) Thanks JB.
I recall you had a fantastic Black Uhuru collection, lots of Bim Sherman/On-U stuff.
You are/have been selling these as you have either digitised them all or recorded them in some format, I can't recall which.

The only reason I bought the used record from EB's is because of the grade & the fact that he had it on sale for a limited time, I had been looking at it for ages but could never afford it at full price.

cheers
j j
j j

Postby j j » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 am

Come in Edgar.....Are you there?.....Edgar are you reading me?....

:)
j j

Postby j j » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 am

JB all our transactions went smoothly btw, no complaints :)

You did undercharge me on one order, when you discovered this you emailed me suggesting the extra cash be donated to the Prince Jazzbo fund,which I did :) Certainly a generous thing for you to do :D

cheers
j j
j j

Postby jb welda » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 pm

>I was not aware that when buying wholesale you no longer qualify for refunds , thanks for the knowledge JB .

It wasn't knowledge from me...I thought I was paraphrasing what you said about that's how eb treats wholesale customers now. I was suggesting that's how professional record buyers (eg: wholesale) might look at it, and that's how it sounds like eb is now looking at it.

I never have been in the position to return anything, primarily because I do not buy directly from ernie but instead through a commune sort of thing. I do know in general though that "wholesale" buying of anything often includes negative features along with positive ones, and the negatives often include restrictions on returns. I still think eb bends over backward to keep people happy, outside of dub vendor and maybe honest jons, I do not know of another international vendor who will give such personal attention to a pretty routine order. And in pretty much all cases I think ernie tries hard to keep his customers.

Now, that's not to say you do not have a case here and if it were me getting the scratched record I might feel as you do, but I read it as eb giving fair notice about any next times...that's why I think you might be getting a bit drastic instead of just operating within the parameters he says, like only buying new stuff, and of course assuming all else is acceptable like postage etc. (postage has pretty much killed any international buying of mine, honestly, its just not feasible anymore. Though NOW...with the pound going down, who knows, it might compensate. And just think about the US$ if Trump gets elected...but that's another nightmare)

Don't take anything I say here as being overly critical, I am just saying eb might still have a place in your record buying future.

Glad to hear jazzbo's family got that money, thanks for doing that.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby markp » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 pm

I still don't understand why EB can't offer good shipping prices if dustygroove.com can. Both located in the US...
markp

Postby daniel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 pm

jj - did Ernie tell you he is no longer accepting returns for wholesale orders of any items for any reason (i.e. used and new items), or just for used items?

Like almost everyone else here, I have only had positive experiences ordering from ernie b over the years: well-priced records, securely packed items, despatched quickly, communication at every step of the process and no-questions replacements/refunds for the very few instances of damaged or incorrect items.

Although, as others have mentioned, he appears to not stock issues from a number of different sources (and doesn't have the same breadth of non-mainstream releases as, say, honest jons), and combined with the rising cost of postage and strength of the US dollar I've been increasingly reluctant to place ebreggae orders as frequently as I might have wanted to in the past. Something like this would make me even more reluctant still.
daniel

Postby Mark T » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:42 am

I hardly buy a thing from Ernie these days because there isn't much I want. His prices are low and his service has always been exceptional. In some ways I think his prices are too low - it then becomes a model based on high volume which isn't what most of us do considering we buy for our collections. I was buying everything Pressure Sounds put out and always from Ernie then he stopped stocking.
I guess retailers can afford the odd bad record because they are buying and then reselling at a mark up of anywhere from 50-100% (based on what I have seen in shops). It's different when the purchase is for your own collection.
Costs of mail are becoming prohibitive from almost everywhere across an ocean - at least Brexit means there may be some bargains to be had in the UK.
Mark T
Mark T

Next

Return to General discussion