Echoes & the Homophobia in Dancehall debate

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Echoes & the Homophobia in Dancehall debate

Postby tim p » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:20 pm

The latest issue of Echoes (Jan 2005) has a 2 page article by John Masouri on the Gays/Dancehall thing. I know some people don't like Masouri but I would recommend checking this out as it ain't bad. In short he argues that homophobia is harming not just the handful of artists whose names have come up repeatedly since the whole thing came up but Dancehall and reggae as a whole. It's a decent companion piece to the recent Guardian article that Ringo posted, albeit from a different perspective.

For light relief there is also an editorial on the subject by the magazines editor Chris Wells. How he came to be the editor if this is the standard of his writing is a complete mystery. Amoung the schoolboy level arguments put forward is a total classic where he says that you can't base anti-gay arguments on religion as there is no proof that God even exists. He then calls God an "imaginary friend".

I'm not particularly religous and don't give a damn personally but if this wally thinks that saying such things is going to make the likes of Sizzla & Capleton suddenly see the light or is going to do anything but severly P*ss off any reader who does have any firm religous beliefs then he is sadly mistaken. The entertainment value of this article is increased by the fact that there is a full page advert for the new Sizzla CD on the facing page and Capleton is on the magazines front cover.
tim p

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:26 pm

I gave up on Echoes a long time ago.

It's a glossy mag for the bling bling generation these days.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Sis. Ali » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:36 pm

Thanks for the info Tim...I'll have a shufty !

Love
Sis. Ali

Return to General discussion