Meditations - Underrated? Overrated?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Meditations - Underrated? Overrated?

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 am

I really don't like that song "Running From Jamaica". I find it very bitter and grudgeful as they would say in JA. My parents and thousands of others emigrated to the UK, the States and Canada because of the crippling poverty, lack of opportunities and the violence in JA and they would not have left if they had a choice because they loved it there. Even so, they worked very hard and sent what they could to JA including the occasional barrel crammed with food and clothes. No one even bothered to say thank you and they had no idea how hard life was in the UK with the racism, freezing cold, s**t, jobs and the cramped accommodation they had to endure.

Groups like the Wailers must have understood what life was like for Jamaicans in London because they spent time here but some of the other artists and people in JA generally need to understand how hard we have to work here just to keep our heads above water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQHSW7Bvs4
Ranking Glasses

Postby Inyaki » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:14 am

I think is a great tune musically.
I always took the the lyrics to refer more to the affluent jamaicans leaving the PNP run country in the mid 70s.
The irony is that The Meditations themselves emigrated a few years later (mid 80s).
JLP was in power, the political landscape had changed and the levels violence probably worst than the mid 70s.
Inyaki

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 am

Yes Inyaki, it's a great tune musically. I couldn't really blame anyone for fleeing the violence in the 70's either because it was terrible.
"Sweetie Come From America" by Well Pleased and Satisfied, and "Original Foreign Mind" by Junior Reid are also great tunes but take no account of what we "foreigners" do to help people in JA.
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 pm

> to the affluent jamaicans leaving the PNP run country in the mid 70s

bingo. pretty much traitors to the island, from a financial, economic standpoint. took their money and gwan. don't think it (the feeling in general, not just his song) was aimed at the working classes who immigrated at all.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby TruthTown » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 am

Love this vocal trio. One of my favolurites from Ja.
"Running From Jamaica" is a great song IMHO. Musically at least, as I cant understand all the lyrics...
And its one of those few songs with a change of the drum pattern (one drop->stepper)
TruthTown

Postby Johan L » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I would say underrated, but it probably have to do with the fact that their late 80's-90's output are not as Impressing as Wailing Souls or Mighty Diamonds.
Johan L

Postby Iondub79 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Some crucial tunes...

No Peace 7"
Rasta Shall Conquer 12"
Iondub79

Previous

Return to General discussion