artists who release music for free online

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

artists who release music for free online

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Can anyone say do the artists who release totally free music online make any funds from doing this as there seem to be lots of artists now who say you can download there music for free. What about the funds to make the song and are any funds made by releasing the song online for free via digital download .

Anyone know if funds are actually generated except for the fact that the artist is getting some recognition that he has free material available to download and maybe called to do a live show performance from which they may make a little money to eat bread from.

Maybe some pirates will still try to sell this free material to others as maybe some people may not know it is a free download and try to make money.

Maybe it will be best if all tunes from all artists become available for free to download this should definitely stop the crazy overpricing of records which has began a few years ago.

So that who ever still wishes to buy the overpriced product can still buy it and the people can still download it for free.

Anyone agree?
Last edited by jah_vaults on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jah_vaults

Re: artists who release music for free online

Postby John Eden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 pm

What is it you like about reggae music, jah vaults?
John Eden

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 pm

John Eden wrote:What is it you like about reggae music, jah vaults?

LOTS :D
jah_vaults

Postby John Eden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah but what? :-)

This is gonna sound really rude, but it seems to me that you mainly ask questions here about economics? I mean no disrespect, just curious?
John Eden

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 pm

John Eden wrote:Yeah but what? :-)

This is gonna sound really rude, but it seems to me that you mainly ask questions here about economics? I mean no disrespect, just curious?

Well John it seems to me the reggae music industry is also gone into huge corporate greed big time making the spreading of the true righteous meaning and message of the music not being spread and artists don't get their fare share to eat bread which has been going on since music business started in all genres, this is the point I am getting at.

No offence intended
jah_vaults

Postby John Eden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 pm

jah_vaults wrote:
John Eden wrote:Yeah but what? :-)

Well John it seems to me the reggae music industry is also gone into huge corporate greed big time making the spreading of the true righteous meaning and message of the music not being spread and artists don't get their fare share to eat bread which has been going on since music business started in all genres, this is the point I am getting at.

No offence intended

Well yes this is a thing, but I'm not sure that us going into many discussions about how much records sell for is the right answer? (more generally I mean, not just this thread).
John Eden

Postby jb welda » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 pm

a good model to my mind would be to offer fairly low res, possibly mono versions available via download for free (come on, nothing is "free". you "pay" by being subjected to ads, promos, pop-ups and in these times any info garnered about you and your buying habits is kaching sounds to online marketers or scam artists). and then meanwhile high res stereo versions would be sold at going rates. so the "free" version would be a loss leader to get people to buy the pay version, or maybe a whole LP/CD's worth, with the added advantage that you sell space on your website (or service you are using) to raise revenues even while giving away "product".

semi-off topic rant:

these days (major) record companies have it so good its laughable. who could have imagined they would ever be able to get away with no packaging, no distribution, no production of anything really *tangible* , they just put it up on iTunes and the money rolls in. this is of course ignoring the problem of getting attention paid to your releases but that really is how it was during the prior times anyhow: lots of music released but little of it recognized without major push (read: $) from the label. at this point they are still producing some physical product but I think that will go away in the future, or become strictly a collectors market. the record companies couldn't have achieved a better scenario if they had tried (and I am sure they and their lawyers tried hard, all the while complaining about how those awful "bootleggers" were making them all go broke). and all this is protected by strict anti-piracy laws that while they don't work or get used all the time, they do often enough, and with devastating results on those caught with a trunk full of boot dvd and cds, to keep the illegitimate market from completely exploding like it has in some countries.

the other thing I do not get, though I could be wrong about this since I don't personally subscribe to iTunes or any online music services, is how in the heck the record labels get away with charging what they do for essentially nothing but a bitstream. isn't 99 cents the standard cost for one song? that means a cds worth of material, say 15 3-4 minute tracks are going to cost 15$. that seems like an awful lot to me for something that has no packaging, hasn't been physically moved around, and required no physical space to sell in. CDs were going for about that in USA and typically they would have > 60 mins of music, at 3 minutes a track that would make equivalent of 20 songs = 20$. do people REALLY pay that sort of money for the pap we hear coming out of those dumb cars and every cell phone these days?

edit to add:

ps: getting involved on the money or business side of reggae music (or probably any genre of music) is one sure way to make you (or me at least) pretty much get real tired of the bullsiht real fast and really kinda ruin it altogether as far as enjoyment goes. that has been my experience anyhow and I have to try real hard not to let it affect me too much. I don't mean worrying about losing money personally, I just mean the whole business side of things can be pretty disheartening sometimes and can really reveal another side to people very quickly.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby John Eden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Quick answer JB - albums are relatively cheaper to buy than individual tracks. So 79p a track, £7.99 for an album that might have 15 or 20 tracks on.

Also, no, huge amounts of people don't pay for music at all now.

Totally agree that the pricing is all wrong and the reasons you state, though.

Having said that I was having a joke with Funkus of these boards as his new single is out for download and costs £1.58 for two tracks. That is about what a 7" cost when I started buying music in the early eighties...
John Eden

Postby finbar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:03 pm

CDs were going for about that in USA and typically they would have > 60 mins of music, at 3 minutes a track that would make equivalent of 20 songs = 20$. do people REALLY pay that sort of money for the pap we hear coming out of those dumb cars and every cell phone these days?

Hey Jah Bill
I just read an article today that said that while streaming services are way up in usage, individual song and LP downloads on a "pay-per" basis is way down.....to the point where popular artists in some cases are selling titles in "the hundreds" as opposed to "tens of thousands". It seems as though the marketplace has capitulated on the concept of "owning" the music they play, people simply want to hear it streamed via a streaming service.

It's as if recordings are now loss-leaders to promote live performances. When you think about it, this "new" model is actually a reversion back to the "original" model that's been in place for centuries, when musicians travelled town to town to sing for their supper. The "recording era" was simply temporary aberration, albeit one that the last few generations has come to enjoy.

What does all this mean? Damned if I know....

Cheers
finbar

Postby John Eden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm

What it means is that corporations like Spotify and Apple win and small labels and artists lose. Mainly...

But you know that, right? :wink:
John Eden

Postby jah_vaults » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:14 am

John Eden wrote:What it means is that corporations like Spotify and Apple win and small labels and artists lose. Mainly...

Due to Corporate greed and as stated the corporations have done no packaging no advertising and no singing or song writing or studio work but want to cash in
jah_vaults

Postby John Eden » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm

It's almost as if there is an entire global class which exists purely on the basis of exploiting the labour of the rest of us.
John Eden

Postby roots garden » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm

John Eden wrote:It's almost as if there is an entire global class which exists purely on the basis of exploiting the labour of the rest of us.

Bravo John you could just be on to something there :D
roots garden

Postby i M@N » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:43 pm

is there any good place on teh interweb in 2014 to download vinyls? :mrgreen:
i M@N

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:31 pm

John Eden wrote:What it means is that corporations like Spotify and Apple win and small labels and artists lose. Mainly...

I would not put Spotify and Apple in the same category

Apple =

For a song sold, Apple receives 99c, pays out roughly 65c to the content aggregator, which in turns pays about 55c to the label

Spotify =

For a song streamed (not sold), Spotify pays about one hundredth of a cent!!!!

So Spotify, Deezers, and so forth are the big a$$hole$

I make good money selling music on itunes
Spotify pays me $hit and I f$cking hate them
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Next

Return to General discussion