"I AM THE GORGON" Bunny Lee Film Premiere

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

"I AM THE GORGON" Bunny Lee Film Premiere

Postby dig » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 am

The first ever screening of the documentary film

I Am The Gorgon - Bunny "Striker" Lee and the Roots of Reggae

narrated by Dennis Alcapone, featuring U Roy, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Sly and Robbie, Johnny Clarke, Horace Andy, Cornell Campbell, Scientist, King Jammy, John Holt and many more

will be at 6.30pm on Thursday August 29th 2013 at
The Tabernacle, 35 Powis Square, Notting Hill Gate, London W11 2AY

https://www.facebook.com/events/5094811 ... tif_t=like

http://www.iamthegorgon.com/
dig

Re: "I AM THE GORGON" Bunny Lee Film Premiere

Postby AT2JA » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:46 am

Did anyone check this out? Looks like a very cool film...
AT2JA

Postby greenisland » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 pm

This was a really good movie and I thoroughly recommend any music fan to check it our either at a screening or DVD (by Xmas) or when it comes 'pon BBC2 or 4 or Sky Arts. The story of Bunny's life in music was told chronologically with every known archive clip of Bunny, more interviews than you could shake a stick at including several with Bunny, tunes galore from rock steady to dub, countless insights into the creative and business process all strung together with a relaxed but informative narration from Dennis Alcapone and some fun animation. It was better than the Marley film IMO.

The premiere was a star-studded occasion on a warm late summer evening right in the heart of Carnival country with red carpet appearances from Tappa Zukie, Dennis Alcapone, BB Seaton, Ossie 'Black Solidarity' Thomas, John Dub Vendor, Lol Dub Vendor, Papa Face, Rootsman, Wassie One, Daddy A, Dubplate Pearl, Tiny T, Mark Solution, Daddy Vego, Naoko The Rock, Ray Hurford, One-ee Johnson, aka Richie, southlondonstephen, Terrence Lo, Mark Professor, and, of course, Bunny Lee. Director Diggory Henrick and producer Frank Jamaica Recordings were also present to receive the plaudits. It was quite a night.

T.
greenisland

Postby jahkob » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Any news of when this is coming out on DVD and such?
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Postby dig » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:57 pm

It's showing at the BFI Southbank in London on June 14th at 2pm with Q+A with director and cast.

Then playing at various summer music festivals before wider cinema screenings in September and DVD release in December 2014.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... 7047F6406E
dig

Postby sifaka » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Great film, really enjoyed it at the BFI yesterday, loads of history and anecdotes, a lot of laughs too (Bunny Lee's rivalry with Niney, the I-Roy-Jazzbo DJ feud etc, being mistaken for Selassie in his top hat etc).

Good explanations of recording techniques and equipment, Tubby's gear, like the 'Squawky'...and the Mollie Dineen 'Sound Business' 1981 film was an added bonus, as was her short Sugar Minott tribute.

Lovely to hear the Blackstones harmonizing live at the Q&A afterwards.

Thanks to all involved.

I'd recommend the 'Gorgon' film to anyone for a history of the music from the rocksteady period onwwards, loads of face-to-face interviews with surviving musicians/producers. Hope it's out on DVD soon - I'll be buying a copy.
sifaka

Postby kalcidis » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:03 pm

sifaka wrote:...and the Mollie Dineen 'Sound Business' 1981 film was an added bonus

Please elaborate. Was it the whole documentary? Is it going to see a re-release? Only seen the distorted VHS copy that was knocking around for ages. Would be very happy to buy/see a proper version of it.
kalcidis

Postby sifaka » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:24 pm

kalcidis wrote:
sifaka wrote:...and the Mollie Dineen 'Sound Business' 1981 film was an added bonus

Please elaborate. Was it the whole documentary? Is it going to see a re-release? Only seen the distorted VHS copy that was knocking around for ages. Would be very happy to buy/see a proper version of it.

It was around 45 minutes, I think that is the entire thing. Mollie Dineen introduced it and apologized for the quality (it didn't look too bad to me though). I'm afraid I don't know whether they were playing it off VHS or a DVD.

Sadly she didn't mention any re-release plans. It got a good reception from the audience though, and at the end, Blacka Dread got up on stage and said a few words about the film, and the period. Maybe after yesterday she would be encouraged to re-release it, on the basis of the positive audience reaction?
sifaka

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 am

Yes Sifaka, it was a very enjoyable afternoon. what a treat to see the Sound Business documentary on the big screen. Good to hear the bass rumbling through the speakers of NFT1 - the biggest cinema at the National Film Theatre.

I thought the Bunny Lee film was excellent too. Nice tribute to Sugar from Molly Dineen, with ten minutes of footage from his yard , featuring the man himself voicing a combination tune with lyrics that include 'romantic films always make me cry'. I recognised another singer in the film but couldn't place him.
Reggie Love

Postby brigadierjc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 am

I can only concur with what's been said.
Really enjoyed both the movies, sadly missed the piece on Sugar Minott at the start...

Well done to all involved in both films. It's great to see Reggae music so well documented, in such a funny manner too.
brigadierjc

Postby sifaka » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:17 am

If anyone has any info about when/if a DVD of 'I Am The Gorgon' is to be released, please post it here.
sifaka

Return to General discussion