Recent finds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Recent finds?

Postby giab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:01 pm

$10 :)
Everything in moderation, especially moderation
giab

Postby j j » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Hey mate , yeah that's the $10 I lost the other day. If you could just post it on down that would be great.

thanks
j j
j j

Postby Ital Dokta » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 am

Hit the big spring record show here today in company of the man Mark T, surprisingly there was much more reggae than I've ever seen for sale before, even with one regular seller absent. There was one partial private collection alone (1970's - 90's, repress & original) that filled 5 or 6 crates, couldn't do much more than pick a few impossible to leave behind tidbits as funds were being depleted much more rapidly than expected, hopefully there will be another chance at some more stuff at next month's show!

LP

Toots & the Maytals - In the Dark (Trojan)
" - Funky Kingston (Island)
Cocoa Tea - Israel's King (VP)
Luciano - Messenger (Island)
Ijahman - Africa (Ras)
Jr. Byles & Friends - 129 Beat St. (B&F)
King Culture - In Cultural Mood (King Culture)
Culture - Lion Rock (Heartbeat)
Luciano - Sweep Over My Soul (VP)
Frankie Paul - Be My Lady (Joe Gibbs)
Max Romeo - War Ina Babylon (Island)
Upsetters - Super Ape (Mango)
V/A - King Tubby's Special (Trojan)
V/A - Feel Like Jumping (Receiver)
V/A - Out Of Many, One (Trojan)
Clancy Eccles & Friends - Fatty Fatty (Trojan)
Niney & Friends - Blood And Fire (Trojan)
Congos - Congo (Columbia)
Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown (Message)
Yellowman, Fathead, Purpleman, Sister Nancy - The Yellow, the Purple, the Nancy (Greensleeves)

12"

Mighty Diamonds - Knowledge (Music Works)
Alton Ellis/Papa Ritchie - Breaking Up/Phantom (High Note)
Don Evans/Jah Batta - Love Vibration/Acting Shy (Supertone)
Errol Dunkley - Sit And Cry (Ossie & Koos)
Johnny Osbourne - Come Back Darling/Warrior (Techniques)
Joe Tex, Hugh Black, Welton Irie - Friday Evening (Joe Gibbs)
Lloyd Parks - Officially (Joe Gibbs)
Michael Prophet/Little John - Gunman/Dance Hall Style (Jah Guidance)
Techniques - Love Is A Gamble (Mummy)
Paragons/Jah Stone/Tommy McCook - Riding High (High Note)

7"

Edi Fitzroy - Youthman Penitentiary (Musical Ambassador)
Mello Lads - Chatty, Chatty Mouth (Dutchess)
Owen Gray - Bongo Natty (Prophecy)
U Roy - Joyful Locks (Action)

Plus a few non reggae:

The Blackbyrds - City Life (Fantasy)
The Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun (RCA)
Cymande - S/T (Janus)
Johnny Guitar Watson - Funk Beyond the Call Of Duty (DJM)
The Persuasions - Street Corner Symphony (Capitol)
C.J. & Co. - The Devil's Gun (Westbound)
Charlie Rich - Best Of (Sun)
Temptations - Psychedelic Shack (Gordy)
The 3 Pieces - Vibes Of Truth (Fantasy)
The Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band - In the Jungle, Babe (Warner Bros.)
Ital Dokta

Postby King Timmy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 am

Merlene Webber with Skin Flesh & Bones - Once You Hit The Road (Jama Music LP)
King Timmy

Postby Mark T » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 am

That was certainly the best record fair I have been to for reggae.

7"
Mighty diamonds - Pass the Kouchie - Music Works
Lone Ranger - Collie Dub - Techniques

12"
Dennis Brown/Welton Irie - Man Next Door/No Do It Pon Your Hungry Belly - Joe Gibbs
Jacob Miller/Welton irie - Keep On Running - Joe Gibbs
Beverly Bailey/I Roy - I Was In Love/I Pray Thee - Joe Gibbs
Junior Mervin/Welton Irie/Prince Weedy - Cool Out Son/Nice Up The Party - Joe Gibbs
Charlie Chaplin - Hey Youthman - Volcano
Yellowman - How You Keep A Dance - GG's
Michigan & Smilie - Diseases/Nicodemus - Boneman Connection - Jah Guidance

LP
Ranking Joe - Natty Superstar - Joe Gibbs
Bunny Wailer - Dubdsco Vol 2 - Solomonic
Sly and Robbie Present Taxi - Mango
Freddie McGregor - Big Ship - Thompson Sound
Gregory Isaacs - Best of Vol 2 - GG's
Sugar Minott- Showcase - Studio One
Bob Marley - Kaya - Island

When I averaged out the price it was $10 (5 pounds) each which is pretty decent.

Had to leave 2 copies of Freddy McKay Creation on Joe Gibbs as I ran out of money - hoping they are there next month as they were reasonably priced.
Feeling pretty good about that lot! :D
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 am

Was there two copies of the Freddie McKay Mark, I only saw one? That'll be good if so, one for each of us :wink: For sure two of the Dubdsco (never yet seen a copy of Vol. 1). Hopefully that seller is at the next show, I would definitely like to be prepared to take a bigger chunk of his collection this time. Though I've since remembered that the next show is two days with a different lineup of sellers each day and I forgot to ask which day he would be there!

Epic show for these parts reggae wise, still having to look at the records and remind myself it wasn't all just a dream!
Ital Dokta

Postby Uncle Chig E » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 pm

BC Baffers ~ The record fair sounds like it might be worth a road trip north. I'm mildly familar with Van as I lived in B'ham & headed to the Great White North to work & recreate in my yout'.
FYI-Record store day in Seattle Sat 4/19, if you're down this way.
Uncle Chig E

Postby Mark T » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:13 am

Uncle Chig E that is really the only time we have found any significant reggae and we're just hoping he'll be at the next fair (which is run by a different organization). If you buy other genres of music it may well be worth a trip but the reggae could be hit or miss - and of course your dollar is worth more up here right now. Not trying to put you off - if you make it up lunch is on me!

Are there any decent record fairs in the Seattle area? I'd definitely be up for a road trip, meet and up and have lunch/beers or something. I'm always game to meet more baffers and talk about music etc. Doug and I have both been to various Seattle record stores.
This Saturday is a no go for me - I'm not even going to bother with RSD as I don't think I can face the crowds.

I am hoping to get down soon and take in the Joan Miro show at SAM - saw the Picasso show a couple of years back which was excellent.
Cheers, Mark T
Mark T

Postby Billy_Boom » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Mark T wrote:Uncle Chig E that is really the only time we have found any significant reggae and we're just hoping he'll be at the next fair (which is run by a different organization). If you buy other genres of music it may well be worth a trip but the reggae could be hit or miss - and of course your dollar is worth more up here right now. Not trying to put you off - if you make it up lunch is on me!

Are there any decent record fairs in the Seattle area? I'd definitely be up for a road trip, meet and up and have lunch/beers or something. I'm always game to meet more baffers and talk about music etc. Doug and I have both been to various Seattle record stores.
This Saturday is a no go for me - I'm not even going to bother with RSD as I don't think I can face the crowds.

I am hoping to get down soon and take in the Joan Miro show at SAM - saw the Picasso show a couple of years back which was excellent.
Cheers, Mark T

The next record fair in Seattle is May 10th — the Big Dig in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Not a huge reggae selection the couple times I've attended but still a few nice bits and pieces.
Billy_Boom

Postby Ital Dokta » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:02 am

Billy_Boom wrote:The next record fair in Seattle is May 10th — the Big Dig in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Not a huge reggae selection the couple times I've attended but still a few nice bits and pieces.

Good to know - is there also a regular fair at the Seattle Center? Think I've been in town while that one was on but wasn't able to make it. A trip south to the Emerald City is definitely overdue - Jive Time is about my favourite record shop bar none - though it may have to wait until finances allow. Big ups to all northwest baffers - imo this is not the best region for reggae finds but you can get lucky here and there if you time it right!
Ital Dokta

Postby jps » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:10 am

Picked up the whole lot for a total of about $70. Was very happy to find the Ashanti Waugh for so cheap. I picked up the Donovan lp for the title track, but there are definitely a few really nice tracks on that album. And was nice to find an og copy of the DEB 7" as it's such a wicked track and I only have it on a repress.

LP
Ashanti Waugh - Crime Act (Black Solidarity)
Donovan - Banzani (Mango)

12"
Toyan- Walk and Look Man/Tyrone Evans- I Need Your Loving (Rub A Dub)
The Royals- Rising Sun/It's Real (Warrior Records)

10"
John Holt - Not Leaving/Roots Radics Version (Holt)

7"
Dennis Brown - Want to Be No General/DEB Wise (D.E.B)
Iheka Chama Band - Tear Drops/Dub (Iheka Chama)
Matumbi - Point of View/Pretender (EMI)
Anthony Johnson - She Afi Come A Me/Five Mile Rock (Grimm Ben)
Abyssinians - Satta Don/Thunder Storm Pt 2 (Clinch Records)
Mikey Jarrett - Sadat/Version (Jah Life)
Chalice - Standing On The Rock/Version (Pipe Music)
Robert Ffrench - Death Wish (Rocky Gibbs)
Jah Son - Zutupek (Creative Sounds)
Bunny Rugs - I'm The Ghetto (Leggo)
Killerman Jarrett- Killerman Jarrett/Version (GodFather)
jps

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:36 am

Nice haul at a nice price jps - World Power also by Donovan is a good one too if you don't have it. Talented artist who unfortunately fell into the "whatever happened to" category.
Ital Dokta

Postby Uncle Chig E » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:18 am

B_B ~ thanks for the head's up about the 5/10 record swap.

BCers ~ shoot me a pm if you're coming south, eh....
Uncle Chig E

Postby Mark T » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks for the info Billy Boom - it's probably a bit close to the one up here so I'm saving my money for more of that reggae collection.
Chig, will definitely get in touch if we make it down.

Mark T
Mark T

Postby Billy_Boom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Ital Dokta wrote:
Billy_Boom wrote:The next record fair in Seattle is May 10th — the Big Dig in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Not a huge reggae selection the couple times I've attended but still a few nice bits and pieces.

Good to know - is there also a regular fair at the Seattle Center? Think I've been in town while that one was on but wasn't able to make it. A trip south to the Emerald City is definitely overdue - Jive Time is about my favourite record shop bar none - though it may have to wait until finances allow. Big ups to all northwest baffers - imo this is not the best region for reggae finds but you can get lucky here and there if you time it right!

Yeah, the spring edition of the Seattle Center show just passed. The next one's in the fall. Besides the Big Dig and the Seattle Center shows, there's also an annual show in Lake City. Quite a few shows but very little reggae the times I've attended them. :evil: Then again, I never pay the early entry fee so maybe it's been getting picked over before I arrived.
Billy_Boom

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion