Distorted bass- why doesn't it always work

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Distorted bass- why doesn't it always work

Postby Apostle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 am

dan i dubdub wrote:On the subject of selection, Barry Issac once said to me that it's boring and frustrating to only hear unreleased music at a show, the audience want something they might be able to find in the couple of days after the dance as well as something fresh.
... My own philosophy is that brand new music needs to be set in a context and that should include a dynamic range of music, not all boof boof. There are only about 3 producers I could bear to hear play only their own work.

That's exactly how I feel about this and I'm glad I'm not the only one. There's more to DJ-ing than just playing heavy tunes, that's a fundamental rule for every dancefloor. The crowd will respond to music they recognize and like. There's a reason soundsystems used to say 'last plastic' around 1 o' clock- the first part of the session is necessary to get people in the right vibe. And yes, playing your own productions three hours in a row tires very quickly.
Last edited by Apostle on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apostle

Postby Apostle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 am

Yet this doesn't answer my initial question. Shaka plays really loud as well but you still hear melody; how does he do that? How come he doesn't drown the melody in muffled bass? It's not because his system is always that crisp...
Apostle

Postby mark b » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Just do the same thing,all soundman do,who cant work out a decent volume,wear earplugs,preferably good quality ones.
mark b

Postby dan i dubdub » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Apostle - experience is the answer.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Previous

Return to General discussion