New Pressure Sounds Horace Andy

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

New Pressure Sounds Horace Andy

Postby Mark T » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 pm

I haven't seen any mention of the new Pressure Sounds reissue of Horace Andy's Get Wise.
has anybody listened to it?
Normally this would cause some excitement but maybe tastes have changed completely on this board.
I don't have it and don't know it but I usually like to support Pressure Sounds (though the Tommy McCook sounded terrible and I haven't bought that one yet).
Mark T
Mark T

Re: New Pressure Sounds Horace Andy

Postby Congo Bunny » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:39 pm

I certainly plan to get it, I'm not the biggest fan of Horace Andy, but Phil Pratt is always worth a punt
Congo Bunny

Postby Negrote » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi there,

my 7” of the title track “Get Wise” on the original ‘PP - Phill Pratt’ – label (PP012) names as artiste Horace Handy (sic).
Also the songwriter/producer credits, H. Handy / P. Pratt.
Negrote

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Ital Dokta

Postby Mark T » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:46 am

I did use the search function to see if there had been a thread Doug :oops:

Negrote - if we had a thread for misspelling on Jamaican records it would never end! :D I recently picked up Selassie I Cup and the flip side is spelled pope Pyhias, that's the most unique spelling of Pius I have ever come across. It's part of the beauty of Ja records. Lui Lepkie seems to get a fair few spelling variations.

I suppose the three 'R's in jamaica only ever meant Roots, Rock, Reggae!

Mark T
Mark T

Postby j j » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 am

Best/Worst spelling error:

Bobby Kalphat - Cunter Punch :shock:
j j

Postby Donovan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

My copy is on it's way. I'm very excited about it. Pressure Sounds is an amazing label that is hitting their 20th anniversary this year. In our little corner of the music world, that is unbelievable. No label (reissue or originals) lasts that long while maintaining top-notch quality.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby j j » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:01 am

err, "top notch quality".....hardly.

j j
j j

Postby Donovan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am

Well, to each their own ... but I've always been happy as a customer.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby Negrote » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 am

Mark T wrote:Negrote - if we had a thread for misspelling on Jamaican records it would never end! :D I recently picked up Selassie I Cup and the flip side is spelled pope Pyhias, that's the most unique spelling of Pius I have ever come across. It's part of the beauty of Ja records. Lui Lepkie seems to get a fair few spelling variatiions.

I think there is a thread about misspelling on JA records on the board. You say, it's part of the beauty of Ja records. I understand where you are coming from (though analphebtism is a serious topic) but, "Horace Handy" just a typo?

I could not be so ignorant and naive not to consider the possibility that maybe behind this typo-beauty is hiding a different and more ugly reality. The misspelling on the Phill Pratt 7" seems to be intentional.

Just thinking, as for some reason this "one of the greatest ever" - albums was never released out of JA so far.

Nice to see PS could obviously bring all involved parties together and arrange a proper, legal release.

I have not heard the LP yet, but the title track is killer!
Negrote

Postby Mark T » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 pm

"I could not be so ignorant and naive not to consider the possibility that maybe behind this typo-beauty is hiding a different and more ugly reality. The misspelling on the Phill Pratt 7" seems to be intentional.

I'm not sure I follow where you're going Negrote, I may be missing something.

Growing up in London it was very common to hear some accents (typically East London) dropping H at the beginning of words and adding H where there isn't an H in the spelling. I have certainly heard Jamaicans do the same thing. I would guess it is just a case of someone spelling name exactly as they pronounced it.

Mark T
Mark T

Postby Negrote » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 am

Untill I knew better I thought ‘Horace Handy’ was something like a singing-clone, someone who sounded like Horace Andy. I thought people may be making a little ‘joke’ on H. Andy, playing with his name, using his fame, making some dunza. This happens.

With ugly reality I was referring to illiteracy, nothing more.

Respect!
Negrote

Postby Reggie Love » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:39 am

If you like sleepy don't sleep on it. If you don't care much for his voice its unlikely to awaken you to its charms.

Not his best, but a great set still for sure with some real gems on it. Its interesting to hear another facet to his career, it doesn't sound like any of the other albums I've heard by him. Phil Pratt brings something different with his productions.
Reggie Love

Postby dudley one » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 pm

wanted it bad at one time, but since i have 70% of the album on 45's it makes no sense. 8)
R.K.M.I.S.

ImageImage
dudley one

Return to General discussion